Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:34   #1
WinterWizard

Ruger SR1911 One year review

I thought some fellow 1911 fans might like a review from someone who has owned a SR1911 for one year.

I bought my SR1911 in May 2011 for $619 from my LGS. I think it was about $672 out the door after tax and background check fee. I had been wanting a stainless 1911 with exactly the features of the SR1911, so when I saw one in my LGS in early May, I jumped all over it.

THE GOOD

1) Great fit and finish. Slide to frame fit is neither loose or super tight – seems to be somewhere in that medium range. But the barrel to bushing fit is pretty tight – I can induce no movement when in lockup.

2) Very accurate out of the box. Good, but not great, sights. Several accuracy tests that I have read from reputable sources indicate that it's about a 2" gun at 25 yards. Some tests are a little better, some are a little worse. I rarely shoot past 10 yards or so, but I can make a 2" ragged hole all day at 7-10 yards if I slow fire. Firing from a rest, free hand, I can put 5 shots into essentially the same hole at 10 yards.

3) Great trigger. Felt about 5 lbs. with a clean break when new. Now it seems to have a smoother take up and lighter break, perhaps a bit over 4 lbs. Very nice trigger!

4) The gun does not seem to be magazine picky. Every mag I have tried so far works, including a few cheap Pro-mag mags.

One year later, and about 1100 rounds down range (I know, not that much, but I have had a few other guns to feed ) and this thing is still great! You sometimes think that a good thing will eventually fail or let you down in some way. Well, the SR1911 hasn't so far.

I have only done a few things to mine. I replaced the grips with some black Alumagrips and I polished the feed ramp and barrel throat even further. To clarify, the feed ramp and barrel throat out of the box were like half-polished. About 15 minutes, some Q-tips, and some Flitz metal polish, and the feed ramp and barrel throat is mirror polished now.

In full disclosure, I have had exactly 3 malfunctions and all within the first 400 rounds and none since. The first was a Cor-bon 185 gr. +P JHP (standard JHP, not DPX). The round nosedived. It seemed to me that this round had a very pointy hollow point shape and a short OAL. But who knows why it nose dived. I think it just hit the feed ramp at a funky angle and the slide pushed the back of the round up, causing the jam.

The second two malfunctions were with Federal Champion (chumpion) 230 gr. FMJ-RN. Both rounds upon inspection were pushed back, and one was pushed back and crooked! Did the jam push the projectile back, or were they like that and I didn't notice? – who knows. I will also say that all 3 malfunctions came after 80-100 rounds had been through the gun, therefore the gun was pretty dirty, especially the feed ramp and chamber. I clean my guns meticulously after each shooting session, FYI. But I have a theory that 1911's have a much higher propensity for malfunctions after you've shot about 80-100 rounds or so – more so than most other designs. Can they shoot hundreds of rounds without a cleaning and re-lubing? Sure. Would you want to bet your life on it? Hell no. Doesn't matter to me. I clean and lube my guns even if they've only been fired 5 times. I am just OCD like that. A clean gun is a happy gun.

But the next thing I would like to do is polish the chamber to slick it up a bit, but I don't own a Dremel currently – mine took a dump about 6 months ago and haven't had the money to buy another. But overall, I would say the gun is very reliable, seeing as I haven't had a malfunction in the past 700 rounds with several different kinds of FMJ and HP ammo. And the 3 malfunctions did technically take place in the "break in" period (first 500 rounds) and when the gun was dirty. So in essence, I am not worried about it. If it starts happening again, then I will re-evaluate.

Here are the few minor negatives I have to say about the gun after a year of ownership (this isn't a Ruger butt-kissing review).

THE BAD

1) The finish on the grip safety and thumb safety is not the greatest. Kind of chalky and is starting to rub off in places.

2) The trigger, as well as the grip safety, have more wiggle than I would like. I think they are probably typical for a 1911 of this price range, but I am kind of a gun snob and expect every part to be pretty snug.

3) As I already said, the feed ramp and barrel throat were not fully polished; they were polished halfway is the best way to describe it. Not a problem, as it only took me 15 minutes and a little elbow grease to bring them to a mirror shine.

So all in all, I would say I am still extremely pleased with the purchase. The best thing I can say about the SR1911 is that if feels like a more expensive gun than its cost would suggest. When I handle and shoot it, it feels like I am shooting a $1000 gun, not an essentially entry-level 1911 (well, perhaps a small step above entry level). And a few friends have said the same. A buddy of mine, who is a Kimber guy, was very impressed with it.

Obviously I have had no breakages or warranty issues.

I don't know what else to say, guys. I am not a gunsmith or gun expert. I know what I know, you know...?

If anyone has any questions I would be glad to answer to the best of my knowledge.

Last edited by WinterWizard; 05-18-2012 at 02:00..
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:57   #2
Gary1911A1

Thanks for the report. Good to know your SR1911 is still running good after a year and 1100 rounds. Mine is also great, but I just got it last month and haven't shot it except for about 100 rounds of my FMJ reloads. So far 100%.
Gary1911A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:55   #3
okie
GT Mayor

I'm glad you are happy with the SR my friend
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:57   #4
bac1023

Thanks for the detailed review.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:20   #5
Urban_Redneck

Thanks for the review.
Urban_Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 20:49   #6
Shark1007

Thank you for the review, 619.00, I believe that's LEO price, at least what I paid for mine.
Shark1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 00:08   #7
WinterWizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark1007 View Post
Thank you for the review, 619.00, I believe that's LEO price, at least what I paid for mine.
Nope. Standard citizen price. Prices took off about a month after they came out and the demand exceeded the supply. I've heard of people buying a SR1911 for under $600. I think $650 is a fair price. I wouldn't have paid a penny more. It's a great gun for the price. I will repeat that: It's a great gun for the price. In fact, I don't think it can be beat for a 1911 in the $500-$700 range, which is why there has been such a frenzy.
Old 05-20-2012, 00:29   #8
Folsom_Prison
Brew Crew

Thanks for the report!
Folsom_Prison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:48   #9
steve1911

Thanks for the review.

1911club#410
Old 05-20-2012, 05:24   #10
Shark1007

You got a deal, my friend. They are all over the place, some upwards of 750.00

My LEO dealer had 'em for 619.00 right now.
Shark1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:51   #11
ca survivor

Thanks for the review.
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:38   #12
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

I only got to shoot one once. It sure seemed like a keeper for the price range.

You could post some pics...
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:58   #13
TexasTerror

Awesome review. Seeing that my next gun will probably be a 1911 this was very helpful. I have been eyeing the $1500 and up kimbers not knowing if I would want to spend that much. I'm glad to hear about a different gun with such a great name to back it at such an affordable price. Seems Thai would be a nice step up from a RIA.
TexasTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:36   #14
La26

You said in your post that the dealer charged you a background check fee? Is that normal where you live? I have purchased many firearms through many different dealers , and have never had to pay a fee for the background check. Just wondering if the dealer is supposed to be charging for that??? No one else seems to question you about it, so it must be the norm everywhere but here in Louisiana.

Excellent review BTW...

Last edited by La26; 05-20-2012 at 11:46..
La26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 18:08   #15
WinterWizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by La26 View Post
You said in your post that the dealer charged you a background check fee? Is that normal where you live? I have purchased many firearms through many different dealers , and have never had to pay a fee for the background check. Just wondering if the dealer is supposed to be charging for that??? No one else seems to question you about it, so it must be the norm everywhere but here in Louisiana.

Excellent review BTW...
Yep. State law in Wisconsin. I believe it started in the early '90s. I wanna say the fee was $18 last time I bought a gun, but I can't be sure. Every handgun and rifle purchase requires one.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:43   #16
COLDSTEEL165

I picked one up last month after almost a year of searching, The world over for one. Paid apx $781.00 with shp & my dealers $50.00 fee included for bringing it in on his FFL. I am happy wit it. Last year I picked up a S&W 1911 paid $830.00 for that one. As I see it both of these guns are made All in the USA with no foreign parts in them, That's good enough for me.
COLDSTEEL165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:35   #17
COLDSTEEL165

Question? Did you Fitz Polish that feed ramp when you got the gun new & saw that it was not fully polished.? Or did you polish it after you ran a few hundred rounds through it.?
COLDSTEEL165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 14:16   #18
WinterWizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLDSTEEL165 View Post
Question? Did you Fitz Polish that feed ramp when you got the gun new & saw that it was not fully polished.? Or did you polish it after you ran a few hundred rounds through it.?
I did it after about 750 rounds had been through the gun.
Old 05-24-2012, 21:55   #19
SIGlock

My SR1911 is very disappointing.

1. Accuracy is horrible. It is worse than the rental SR1911 (see pic.) This is unacceptible accuracy. This much worst than my beloved G21. Now, the rental SR1911 is pretty, but my G21 is even better.

2. Chew up my casing due to uneven machining of the face breech.

3. The #$%ing front sight FELL OFF after 400 rds. Unbelievale.

4. The screws on the wooden face grip keep loosing every 100 rds.

5. Machining or tool marks on the dust cover. Got this right out of the box.

6. The trigger was so-so. Not that great.

This is my first ever 1911. Damm. I am going to trade it as soon as possible and get me another.....Glock. No more 1911.
Attached Thumbnails
1911 Forums - Click for larger version  
Old 05-24-2012, 21:59   #20
SIGlock

One more thing....I actually waited more than a year for my SR1911. Just got it last month for $700 plus tax.

I really want to love my 1911. No can do after this.

Last edited by SIGlock; 05-24-2012 at 21:59..
SIGlock is offline   Reply With Quote