GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-18-2012, 16:42   #1
CBennett

Anyone shoot the M1 Garand Matches? / Long range rifle matches?

Hi Ive been contemplating a few new guns and ive pretty much got it singled out to either a(at around $1000)

1. M1 garand in 30-06 OR .308

2. A long range rifle like the Savage 110/10 series

Trying to keep prices of the rifles at $1000 or under so I could afford some ammo and or a decent scope for the later option.

What I was wondering is on the non national scale(im not talking the national camp perry type matches) has anyone shot the M1 Garand competitions say for instance at their local range(I know my local range has them listed..or at least they did last year). How do you like it, do you have fun? what type of Garand(kind of condition) do you need to be at all competitive?

Im assuming both the 30-06 and the .308 models are usable in the M1 Garand competitions? Is there a benefit to one over the other(I see right now CMP has some .308 ones in stock along with the 30-06)..Is there a certain grade or features id want in one if I planned on taking it to shoot a match every now and then?

As I get "older" here im trying to find some fun ways to do things without wrecking myself playing hockey and or Football anymore lol. And ive always been interested in M1 Garands and Long range/ sniper rifle type competitions(was a designated marksman in the SRT team in the military so ive shot a M14 at distance out to around 500 yds or so and bolt action Remington .308 out to about the same).

Ive apparently got some $$ coming to me and will be able to afford something in the $1000 range give or take to suit my M1 or Long range rifle wants/needs.

So same question for a long range type rifle in a "stock" division would the Savage 10/110 type models be worth running? Ive heard good things..they are more in my price range? Anyone have and or use one with good results??
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 16:51   #2
Deaf Smith

Well it ain't in Pennsylvania but...

http://blackforkblog.blogspot.com/

Talk to Robert Langham in Tyler Texas. He is a top state shot and above is his blog.

Deaf
Old 05-18-2012, 17:16   #3
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

I have shot the M1's out to 600 yards in Highpower matches.
Some at Camp Perry during the national, some with the ORPA.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 17:39   #4
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason D View Post
I have shot the M1's out to 600 yards in Highpower matches.
Some at Camp Perry during the national, some with the ORPA.

Was it a good time? Ive never shot open sights that far..how "hard" is it to hit at that distance? BTW got good eyesight for now lol 20/20 so luckily I should at least be able to see the target
Old 05-18-2012, 18:10   #5
countrygun

First I must congratulate you on narrowing it down to two excellent choices. I have a 110 in 30-06 and a few Garands. One of my M-1s I have had for almost 3 decades now. I have nunted derr, elk,bear and coyote with it. I won't tell you about the longest shot with it out of modesty and respect for the gods of luck.

If you get serious about the M-1 invest in an adjustable gas screw which will open up a few doors ammo wise and reload wise. Funny thing about caliber choice, when I got my first one surplus 06 was still around so that was the way to go, then the 06 started to dry up and a bunch of surp .308/7.62 showed up and it made a reasonable alternative. Shopping around just yesterday I wasn't really impressed with the surplus .308 so I call it a draw. IMO there is a lot more crappy surplus .308 to begin with than crappy 30-06 back in the day. Again, IMO reloading is really a must in my life so that makes the caliber choice a wash.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 18:44   #6
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBennett View Post
Was it a good time? Ive never shot open sights that far..how "hard" is it to hit at that distance? BTW got good eyesight for now lol 20/20 so luckily I should at least be able to see the target
It's a lot of fun, but also work. You would be servicing the targets of other shooters as they did for you.

It's not hard to hit the targets as they get larger the father out you are.

A standard 200 yard target is 40" x 42"
A standard 600 yard target is 67" x 72"
The 1000 yard target is the same size as the 600, but with a bigger black area.

If you can hit a 200 yard target, you can do 300, 600, or 1000 without much more work.

You would need a good load, a good rifle, and know your come ups. You would be changing your sight position a lot. You would also be using slings and shooting positions to keep on target.

www.ODCMP.com

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 19:32   #7
CBennett

Thanks for the Info so far guys. Im leaning m1 but not 100% or anything. Ive just always been more enamored with the bullseye/accuracy shooting like Silhouette and Bulls-eye types of competition than the run and gun type stuff so these 2(M1 or long range target type stuff) seem really up my alley.
Old 05-18-2012, 20:18   #8
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Now I want to do high power again. What did I do with that jug of H4895?
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 21:17   #9
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Sight adjustment for an M1 Garand for 200, 300 and 600 for me was: 200 = 2 Up from absolute zero, 300 = 2 up from the 200 Yard setting or 4 up from absolute zero. 600 yards was 6 up from 300 yards, or 10 up from absolute zero. At 600 yards you might see a half minute of change based on light conditions (lights up--sights up).

I shot highpower for many years. Worked my way into master class. The hardest part about a highpower match is the 200 yard offhand. Not the 600 yard target. Lots of folks can shoot a clean score on the 200 and 300 yard rapid fire. Sometimes the wind will play hell with you on the 600 yard target. But the part of the match that separates the men from the boys is the 200 yard offhand.

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 21:23   #10
Three-Five-Seven
Señor Mombo

Our Garand matches, service rifle matches, 600 yard Long Range matches, and 1000 yard high power matches are each held once a month. So, the long range/service community is very active and vibrant. There are lots of nice guys who shoot these matches and you will be welcomed, I'm sure at your range.

If you are a veteran, you'll find many people who are birds of a feather and will make some good, new friends.

You cannot buy a long range rifle and scope for the money you suggest. Heck, you can't even buy a scope that works for long range for that price.

So, find a good Garand and have the money set aside to get it rebarreled and tuned up. 308 and 30-06 are equally represented at our Garand matches.
Old 05-18-2012, 23:03   #11
Wyoming

Send a message via Yahoo to Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Steve View Post
Now I want to do high power again. What did I do with that jug of H4895?
Steve, is there any M1 Garand matches in our area?
Old 05-18-2012, 23:08   #12
Tallahassee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three-Five-Seven View Post
So, find a good Garand and have the money set aside to get it rebarreled and tuned up. 308 and 30-06 are equally represented at our Garand matches.
IMHO this is good advice. Plus, the Garand is a piece of American history. I personally do not feel my collection would be complete without it.

I just got a Garand through the CMP, very easy process and highly recommended. They were great to work with.
Tallahassee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:48   #13
CBennett

Ok so with the Garand what would I want then to get it set up for accuracy? best results in the M1 matches(local ones). Would I want a cheaper grade M1 30-06 based then get a new barrel added, trigger cleaned up, and everything "went through" (which id probably do in the late fall/winter so it would be ready for spring..this year id run it as I get it) by someone that knows what they are doing those grades from CMP seem to run $600-$700 (the cheaper grades) then id have to add on some to send it in or get someone to tune it up...

OR

Would I want to step up to the ones they currently have which are the "Special Grade" that pretty much already have everything like new furniture, NEW barrel from Criterion( are these barrels any good??), basically like new it seems from description. They have these in 30-06 AND .308

Would there be any advantage to 30-06 or .308 ive read the .308 is a but softer shooting?? but as far as accuracy?? any??

Ive also read that out of the box from CMP these(the lower grades) are about 3 MOA guns...and that with a new barrel and some trigger work and other stuff they can be made to get about 1.5 MOA and that would at least put you in the running to be competitive?? True? false?

Any suggestions for guys(especially if any are in the PA state area) that do these mods? figured if it was close enough and in PA I could save the shipping.

On the Long range/Sniper type rifle:

I guess I was thinking with the Savage 10/110 .308 rifles id have bought the rifle this year and then used my Intensity optics Scope(5-20) ive got on my silhouette .22 LR(which i cant shoot this year due to them having it on a day I work) till I could afford something better....

but its looking the the M1 may be the way to go as has been said. Though it looks like(unless the Special Grade with its new barrel and hardware would do well without a lot of expensive mods) that they would both in the case of the Savage need a better scope and in the case of the m1 need "work/tuned up" to really shoot decent...???

Last edited by CBennett; 05-19-2012 at 06:50..
Old 05-19-2012, 08:11   #14
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
Steve, is there any M1 Garand matches in our area?
There was just a NRA High Power match at Colorado Rifle Club in Byers... about 40 miles east of Denver. If you're in Cheyenne, it might be a 90 minute drive...

ETA: http://www.crci.org/Portals/15/Conte...%20program.pdf

Last edited by Zombie Steve; 05-19-2012 at 08:12..
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:32   #15
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBennett View Post
Ok so with the Garand what would I want then to get it set up for accuracy? best results in the M1 matches(local ones). Would I want a cheaper grade M1 30-06 based then get a new barrel added, trigger cleaned up, and everything "went through" (which id probably do in the late fall/winter so it would be ready for spring..this year id run it as I get it) by someone that knows what they are doing those grades from CMP seem to run $600-$700 (the cheaper grades) then id have to add on some to send it in or get someone to tune it up...

OR

Would I want to step up to the ones they currently have which are the "Special Grade" that pretty much already have everything like new furniture, NEW barrel from Criterion( are these barrels any good??), basically like new it seems from description. They have these in 30-06 AND .308

Would there be any advantage to 30-06 or .308 ive read the .308 is a but softer shooting?? but as far as accuracy?? any??

Ive also read that out of the box from CMP these(the lower grades) are about 3 MOA guns...and that with a new barrel and some trigger work and other stuff they can be made to get about 1.5 MOA and that would at least put you in the running to be competitive?? True? false?

Any suggestions for guys(especially if any are in the PA state area) that do these mods? figured if it was close enough and in PA I could save the shipping.

On the Long range/Sniper type rifle:

I guess I was thinking with the Savage 10/110 .308 rifles id have bought the rifle this year and then used my Intensity optics Scope(5-20) ive got on my silhouette .22 LR(which i cant shoot this year due to them having it on a day I work) till I could afford something better....

but its looking the the M1 may be the way to go as has been said. Though it looks like(unless the Special Grade with its new barrel and hardware would do well without a lot of expensive mods) that they would both in the case of the Savage need a better scope and in the case of the m1 need "work/tuned up" to really shoot decent...???

It depends on what type of matches you are shooting in. There are matches for "service grade" that don't allow many of the modifications. Then you can move up to other types of matches and "mod away"

Probably the biggest issue with an M-1 for the buyer would be barrel erosion so you might want to look at one with a new barrel. IMO it would be best for you to find what matches are available to you FIRST, then get the gun to match the rules.

As far as recoil, in a 9.5# M-1 there just isn't going to be a great difference, especially since they are going to operate at the same pressure level to operate the action properly.

I don't really know of any matches where you could be competative with a Savage 110 without spending a lot more money that an M-1 on the scope alone most likely.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 13:11   #16
CBennett

Id have to check to be sure but the range info/schedule says:

CMP M-1 Match

seems they have this about every week from April on to fall or so

http://www.consolidatedsportsmen.com...php/events2012

Last edited by CBennett; 05-19-2012 at 13:11..
Old 05-19-2012, 22:58   #17
Wyoming

Send a message via Yahoo to Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Steve View Post
There was just a NRA High Power match at Colorado Rifle Club in Byers... about 40 miles east of Denver. If you're in Cheyenne, it might be a 90 minute drive...

ETA: http://www.crci.org/Portals/15/Conte...%20program.pdf
I am in the other corner! 4 1/2 hours to Cheyenne if the roads are clear.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:28   #18
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
Sight adjustment for an M1 Garand for 200, 300 and 600 for me was: 200 = 2 Up from absolute zero, 300 = 2 up from the 200 Yard setting or 4 up from absolute zero. 600 yards was 6 up from 300 yards, or 10 up from absolute zero. At 600 yards you might see a half minute of change based on light conditions (lights up--sights up).

I shot highpower for many years. Worked my way into master class. The hardest part about a highpower match is the 200 yard offhand. Not the 600 yard target. Lots of folks can shoot a clean score on the 200 and 300 yard rapid fire. Sometimes the wind will play hell with you on the 600 yard target. But the part of the match that separates the men from the boys is the 200 yard offhand.
ty for the tips !
Old 05-20-2012, 18:21   #19
rv4driver

The Cheyenne shoots are a hoot. Great people. I did some NRA Highpower stuff there. 600 yds with iron sights is really no big deal, as the aiming black is 3 feet in diameter. Still looks like the same dot as 200 standing. And, yes, 200 standing is MUCH harder than 600 prone. Still, the reward of 10's and X's from 600 with iron sights can't be explained. Service Rifle can be done with a 1000 dollar gun, but it's all uphill from there. I did Byers and Bailey too, but the driving got to me. That's all I do all week, it got hard to face it on the weekend.

Jeff
rv4driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 18:40   #20
byf43
NRA Life Member

If you decide on the M1 Garand, you will be hooked!!!!

I started shooting High Power, using a 'club gun' (M1 Garand).
The serial number is forever etched in my brain. (#3547xxx)
What a shooter!!!
My club had several rifles, but, needed to send one back, for replacement/repairs.
The deputy director of DCM (Lt. Col. Rose) said that since a couple of our members were going to Camp Perry, one of them could pick up a new rifle from the DCM 'smith, there.
Wow!!!!!! This rifle was a GREAT shooter, right out of the box!!
Less than 2 MOA at 100 yards! (With handloads.)
M2 Ball wasn't too shabby, either!

Get the M1 Garand!!
Accurize it if you want, work up a load for it, and have a BLAST!!!!!!!

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012

Last edited by byf43; 05-20-2012 at 18:44..
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote