Would be an awful lot to carry.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/surv...-survival-bag/

Survival/Preparedness Forum
gunslinger3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:04   #2
Protus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger3 View Post
its easy to make a list....carrying and using it are a different beast. Lot of useless items in there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Protus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:16   #3
cyrsequipment
Angry

I see the water filter, but is there a canteen in that mess that I am missing?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 05-19-2012, 12:58   #4
FerFAL

A shotgun is a pretty crappy idea. And that axe abortion thing? why, God, why? You already have a freaking Kukri that chops just as well.
FerFAL

FerFAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 14:11   #5
FireForged
Millenium #3936

i agree... I would easily cut that in half.
Old 05-19-2012, 16:50   #6
auto-5

If you ate going to bring a long gun a .22 would be better than a shotgun but either way put a freaking sling on it.
auto-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 17:28   #7
quake

A - way too much stuff imo.

B - prices seem off to the point of neurotic. According to the prices listed, his holster costs exactly $2 more than his spork. (Never mind he's trusting a supposedly $900 pistol to an $11 holster. And his rope coil is $150..? For $150, I could buy enough rope to snare an elephant.

Folks should use their gear before they start recommending things to other people.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 18:41   #8
Aceman

Before we hate: We do not know the poster's goals or environment or strategy with this bag.

And ferfal: A 12g SG is a GREAT freaking bugout weapon. Get real. But again - you have no idea of my contect when saying that...so

Now for the off the cuff comment: Yeah - that is a bunch of random @$$ crap and expensive surburban dumb @$$ "I want the best" not-that-it-will-save-their-sorry=@$$ because they don't know how to use it crap.

I think we have all seen (and have) way better gear arrangements. It was entertaining if nothing else.

But kudos - it's better than nothing. Wayyyyyyy better than most people I know.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 19:31   #9
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto-5 View Post
If you ate going to bring a long gun a .22 would be better than a shotgun but either way put a freaking sling on it.
A shotgun is not great at anything, but it is OK at a lot of things.

i.e. Lets go up against a 22LR rifle.
Which would you rather shoot at a person at 100 yards?
Which is best for clearing a house?
Which is can you carry more ammo? 22LR wins this
Which would get you more small game if you HAD to hunt to survive?
Which would get you more large game if you had to hunt to survive?
Old 05-20-2012, 06:09   #10
Aceman

The shotgun and the .22 BOTH have their advantages. And we each have our preferences.

.22:
+ Small, light, quiet (relatively), ammo extremely cheap, ammo small/light, great for hunting varmints

SG
+ able to hunt anything from varmint to deer to birds, extremely effective SD/HD weapon, low cost, high reliabity

I personally have one of each as dedicated bug out tools.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:11   #11
Aceman

$500 for a Mossberg 500? Where is he shopping? More proof that the pack was assembled by someone with ore money than sense.

And I'll trade taht MSR stove for my Esbit anyday.
Old 05-20-2012, 16:40   #12
FireForged
Millenium #3936

I was watching a rockport boot review on youtube the other night and happened to notice a bugoutbag video in the "suggested" tab. I watched it until the guy pulled out like the 7th bladed item out of his pack and that was as far as I could go.
Old 05-20-2012, 17:51   #13
Aceman

Hey I carry, let me see...

probably seven knives. One in each bag = 4, plus Big utility, Main folder, and pocket Swiss.

But I fiemly believe in 1 is none for my key items, and I assume that I may need to lose a bag, or that i might end up with ony one. But - if I have my pouch/bag/beltpouch/pack....I know I have a knife/fire/water.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:08   #14
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger3 View Post
There is alot of things to consider when making a B.O.B. You have to remember one of the most important factors.. "weight"! If you wind up on foot you better be able to hump that pack and shotgun cross country.
TangoFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:34   #15
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoFoxtrot View Post
There is alot of things to consider when making a B.O.B. You have to remember one of the most important factors.. "weight"! If you wind up on foot you better be able to hump that pack and shotgun cross country.
Or be ready to drop some gear along the way.

BTW, how is this person carrying their water?
Old 05-21-2012, 08:43   #16
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

There is a little bit of poor redundancy with this pack, and its missing a VERY important item....ummmm do you guys see it?

How are you going to carry and store your water

Is this bag going to be heavy? Yea but even at its current state its probably 70 to 80lb so its doable. I also wonder if all that stuff can even fit in that pack.

All in all though its a decent list. You just need to weed it down and perhaps compartmentalized some stuff so that stuff you don't need for certain SHTF events can be jettisoned. A Seed vault and a Silver Dollar would be good for a mad max EOTW event, but for an earthquake or other basic event you can dump that.

Both a Steripen and a Miniworks water filter? Dump one or the other.

Why do preppers have a hard on with rope and paracord. Do you have the skills to use a climbing rope without a harness? If you had a harness would you still be clueless? Unless you know how to climb and rappel and need to climb or pull someone out of a hole, I would dump the climbing rope and the quickdraw binders and just keep the paracord.

A Kurki and a Fireman's Axe? Even in a zombie apocalypse, two heavy melee weapons may be a bit much. Pick one or the other, or better yet find something smaller and lighter. You already have a knife with the leatherman wave, so all you need is a decent full tang, fixed blade knife for bushcraft and fighting.

I have a similar setup with a Hammock, a lightweight 30 degree bag, and a reactor liner. The only problem is having a pad or something to keep the cold from creeping up your back when hanging on cold windy days, or sleeping bivvy style on the cold ground in the winter.

I'm not a fan of the shotgun or the HK P2000 pistol either. For the same size and weight I rather have a 15 round Glock 19 then the 13 round H&K. Carrying a long arm while bugging out on foot means a real EOTW event, so I rather have my AR than a shotgun. For those not so end of the world events, a packable .22 rifle and carrying your handgun concealed an not in a dropdown holster might be a better options.

I think with some effort, you can make that into a pretty sweet 40lb BOB

Last edited by Bilbo Bagins; 05-21-2012 at 11:36..
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:12   #17
Dexters

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrsequipment View Post
I see the water filter, but is there a canteen in that mess that I am missing?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
That was my first thought - no water bladder.

Also, the pack is too small - you need space to store your clothing layers you don't need to be wearing.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:18   #18
wjv

I have more stuff in my car trunk than I can carry. But my plan is to tailor my load based on what's happening and current weather conditions.

Living in the pacific NW rain gear is essential 8 months of the year. . Don't need it 4 months of the year. During those 8 months a small tent is a good idea. During the other 4 a simple Heat Shield (tm) bivouac bag is all you would need.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:34   #19
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexters View Post
That was my first thought - no water bladder.

Also, the pack is too small - you need space to store your clothing layers you don't need to be wearing.
At 2,000 to 2,300 cubic inches that Gregory bag is way too small to carry all that

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002UXKQFE?tag=wwwrapturesac-20
A Daypack will not cut it. You need something that is +3000 cubic inches or an ALICE pack for all that stuff
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:58   #20
Batesmotel

This was not put together by a Grunt. Too much theory, no practical experience.