SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-19-2012, 14:45   #1
cowboy1964

Using taxes for societal behavioral modification

http://www.theindychannel.com/health...97/detail.html

Who are they kidding? Who is going to say "gee I'm morbidly obese but now that cheeseburgers cost 20% more I guess I'll suddenly start eating healthy".

Call a spade a spade: it's a way to raise money. And personally I'm for that. People should pay for whatever lifestyle they want to live. (for the purposes of this discussion I'm not factoring in those who for medical reasons can't control their weight so let's not go there).
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 14:50   #2
Alizard

I think the idea is that when the four hundred pound heffer waddles up to the counter, he might only order eight Big Macs instead of ten for lunch if the price penalty stings....

I doubt it will work. We have an obese generation because they grew up with their butts planted in front of TV's or computers playing video games. Eating is only part of the problem.
Alizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:02   #3
barbedwiresmile
Unreconstructed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alizard View Post
We have an obese generation because they grew up with their butts planted in front of TV's or computers playing video games. Eating is only part of the problem.
"Sin taxes" aside (I am obviously against them), the industrial food lobbies would love us to view the obesity problem as one of too little exercise. In reality, exercise is a small part of the problem. One does not become obese in the current, American sense of the term solely by being a couch potato. One grows obese by ingesting a consistent diet of chemical food. Even those who are active, yet consume a diet based on industrial food carry the puffy-faced, subcutaneous fat look of the modern American. If one works hard enough at it, he may certainly become overweight (or even "fat") by eating too much and moving too little. But one becomes obese by ingesting a diet consisting largely of corn derivatives.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Por La Raza todo, Fuera de La Raza nada
barbedwiresmile is offline   Reply With Quote