Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:19   #1
AMSting

Still having Glock 20 issues

I am still having failures to feed. The bullet is angling left and wedging into the side of the barrel. This is happening on the first 5 or so rounds from a 15 round mag, For the last 10 rounds in the 15 round mag, plus for the 10 round mags, the problem is less, maybe 1-2 out of 10, but the same thing is happening.
The 10 Ring

I have replaced the springs with a service pack. The mags are brand new. I even installed +1 power mag springs based on responses I got here. When cycling by hand slowly, it looked like the ejector was catching the rim of the case and causing it to angle. I tried adjusting the ejector, but don't know if I actually did anything. That's one tough piece of metal.
The 10 Ring

I think everything lines up like it is supposed to.
The 10 Ring

The 10 Ring

The 10 Ring

The 10 Ring

Recoil springs tried ranged from 17lbs to 22lbs. None seemed to make any difference. Any thoughts?
AMSting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:42   #2
dm1906
Retired SO

I had this problem with a new, never fired Gen 3. It came out of the box with the ejector dinged. I realigned it, and it's been flawless since.

With the barrel/slide off the frame, slowly insert a fully loaded mag and watch the clearance of the round and ejector. The mag should lock just as the round closes the gap at the ejector, and the ejector should be parallel with the round. The gap, with mag locked in should be no more than the thickness of a piece of paper. The round should also not contact firmly with the ejector. Ideally, when inserting a full mag, the round should just "touch" the ejector, then slack off slightly (paper thickness gap) as you release insertion pressure on the mag. If the ejector is in contact with the round and under pressure, it will cause feed issues. If the ejector is misaligned, it can cause feed and ejection issues. If the problem is primarily with more rounds in the mag, and seems to be less often with fewer rounds in the mag, the top round is probably under pressure against the ejector. If you look at your fired brass and they have a scratch along the side, from about the middle toward the rim, the ejector is dragging on the case, and probably the problem. Post a pic of the top-down and side views of the ejector with a full mag inserted and locked.

Also, check the fit of the rim of a round with the extractor. A case should slide into position under the extractor with little effort, and should firmly engage the extractor. The extractor should hold the round in place when the case is in battery position (centered in front of the firing pin). If the extractor is too tight, it may be pushing rounds out of position as the action closes, exaggerated by the higher pressure of a full mag. If this is happening, the breach is dirty or damaged, or the extractor/spring/pin may be fouled or damaged.
dm1906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 13:05   #3
dpadams6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSting View Post
I am still having failures to feed. The bullet is angling left and wedging into the side of the barrel. This is happening on the first 5 or so rounds from a 15 round mag, For the last 10 rounds in the 15 round mag, plus for the 10 round mags, the problem is less, maybe 1-2 out of 10, but the same thing is happening.
The 10 Ring

I have replaced the springs with a service pack. The mags are brand new. I even installed +1 power mag springs based on responses I got here. When cycling by hand slowly, it looked like the ejector was catching the rim of the case and causing it to angle. I tried adjusting the ejector, but don't know if I actually did anything. That's one tough piece of metal.
The 10 Ring

I think everything lines up like it is supposed to.
The 10 Ring

The 10 Ring

The 10 Ring

The 10 Ring

Recoil springs tried ranged from 17lbs to 22lbs. None seemed to make any difference. Any thoughts?
Have you tried factory rsa? I always seem to have that same problem when I use an aftermarket Wolff spring. I put back in the the factory rsa and no problems.
dpadams6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 14:45   #4
orangeride

Are you shooting reloads? I started having Problems just like that with my reloads. I started running all my finished reloads through a lee FCD bulge buster and all my Problems went away.
orangeride is offline   Reply With Quote