Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 11:46   #181
Andrewsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhasz View Post
The German army in WWll got their ass kicked
Yes, after they conquered most of Europe.

Since German-speaking people invented the bolt action rifle, automatic pistol, sub machinegun, general purpose machine gun, anti-tank rifle, and assault rifle, it's kind of fun to observe what they were doing with firearms at that time.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:47   #182
glocksterr
DirtyGlockHippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewsky View Post
$225 for a gallon of oil?! Haha!

lol!

i suspect its in an effort to avoid being discredited by the shills/fanboys.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:11   #183
cyphertext

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocksterr View Post
if a series of data points if good enough to be compared to each other, why would it not be good enough to be used against other sets under similar conditions? we are going to get a spectrum of data points here and they will paint a picture, for, against or neutral.

are sport owners already trying to make excuses?

i think its as valid a comparison that is reasonally possible under the conditions. do we really need a double blind study by accredited groups to justify the colt is better?

maybe the sport kicks it in the nuts. i dont know. dont make excuses and backpedal before both guns are even out of the box.
What is your problem? Where am I making excuses for anything? Some of the grouping seemed large, especially for premium ammo. That's part of testing, sometimes the results are different than what is expected. That is all I have said. I would not have expected Wolf to outperform premium ammo. Were you not surprised by that?

If Matthew was testing these for accuracy against each other, then his method is flawed. He has too many variables. If that was the goal of his test, he would remove the human factor first by bolting the rifles down in a sled. They would be fired indoors, in a controlled environment where temperature, humidity, wind, etc. could be controlled. Any variable that could be removed would be. It is impossible to remove every variable unless he is testing in a vacuum, but the easily controlled ones would have to be for it to have any validity.

What he is doing is getting a set of base points to compare the rifle to itself further down the line. And honestly, scientifically speaking, these numbers would be in question due to the variables as well, just as I previously pointed out. They can be used as a guide, but they are not irrefutable, as MD357 has pointed out as well.

My wife is a classically trained scientist as well, medical laboratory scientist. While not a firearms expert, she does see flaws in this study. She thinks that you may be able to draw some conclusions from this study, but it does not meet the standards of scientific study.

How 'bout we all just chill and wait to see what we get after many rounds. This isn't a "which rifle is more accurate" test, it is a "can the Sport hold up to hard use" test.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:17   #184
glocksterr
DirtyGlockHippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphertext View Post
What is your problem? Where am I making excuses for anything?

If Matthew was testing these for accuracy against each other, then his method is flawed. He has too many variables. If that was the goal of his test, he would remove the human factor first by bolting the rifles down in a sled. They would be fired indoors, in a controlled environment where temperature, humidity, wind, etc. could be controlled. Any variable that could be removed would be. It is impossible to remove every variable unless he is testing in a vacuum, but the easily controlled ones would have to be for it to have any validity.

What he is doing is getting a set of base points to compare the rifle to itself further down the line. And honestly, scientifically speaking, these numbers would be in question due to the variables as well, just as I previously pointed out. They can be used as a guide, but they are not irrefutable, as MD357 has pointed out as well.

My wife is a classically trained scientist as well, medical laboratory scientist. While not a firearms expert, she does see flaws in this study. She thinks that you may be able to draw some conclusions from this study, but it does not meet the standards of scientific study.

How 'bout we all just chill and wait to see what we get after many rounds. This isn't a "which rifle is more accurate" test, it is a "can the Sport hold up to hard use" test.

my problem is you seem to think it fine if compared to itself yet, if that data is valid why would it not be valid against another when the same variables are used.

makes zero scientific sence and your wife works in a lab so im sure she will agree.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:24   #185
Matthew Courtney
CLM Number 285
Instructor #298

Essentially, we will consider a barrel ill suited for continued use when it will no longer shoot 5 inch groups with any available ammo. These rifles are not set up for precision shooting, even though if the barrels were free floated and custom loads worked up, they could likely hold 1 MOA. On a good day, I have been able to hold .4 MOA using the technique and scope I have on these rifles with great rifle/ammo combinations. All of the results so far seem to be within the margin of error, except for the m196 tracers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Matthew Courtney; 06-23-2012 at 12:38..
Old 06-23-2012, 12:32   #186
glocksterr
DirtyGlockHippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Courtney View Post
Essentially, we will consider a barrel ill suited for continued use when it will no longer shoot 5 inch groups with any available ammo. All of the results so far seem to be within the margin of error, except for the m196 tracers.

im very much looking forward to see it the barrel coating of the smith can hang with good old fashioned chrome.

as far as what ammo they like/shoot best with we know every barrel can be its own animal.

5MOA?
wow, thats shot out to be sure in my book.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:33   #187
cyphertext

Quote:
my problem is you seem to think it fine if compared to itself yet, if that data is valid why would it not be valid against another when the same variables are used.

makes zero scientific sence and your wife works in a lab so im sure she will agree.
go back and re-read what I stated....

"What he is doing is getting a set of base points to compare the rifle to itself further down the line. And honestly, scientifically speaking, these numbers would be in question due to the variables as well, just as I previously pointed out. They can be used as a guide, but they are not irrefutable, as MD357 has pointed out as well."

Without removing all the variables, the numbers are not really valid. For example, ever go shooting and do really well, only to go back a week later and not shoot as well? Same rifle, same bench, same ammo lot, same human shooting. What is at fault, the rifle or the human?

And, by the way, my wife agrees and it makes sense to her as well. Even our 13 year old son pointed out that he has a human factor in there....he thought the gun should be in a sled for accuracy as well, like "Mythbusters" does it.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:34   #188
cyphertext

Quote:
im very much looking forward to see it the barrel coating of the smith can hang with good old fashioned chrome.

as far as what ammo they like/shoot best with we know every barrel can be its own animal.

5MOA?
wow, thats shot out to be sure in my book.
This we agree on...this is what I want to know! Even though Melonite is not a coating like chrome is.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:35   #189
glocksterr
DirtyGlockHippy

sounds like excuses to me.

lets throw the whole thing out now because of the human factor.

Last edited by glocksterr; 06-23-2012 at 12:42..
Old 06-23-2012, 12:36   #190
cyphertext

Matthew, I have no experience with tracer rounds...is that grouping you got with the Smith normal for that type of ammo?
Old 06-23-2012, 12:37   #191
cyphertext

Quote:
sounds like excuses to me.

lets through the whole thing out now because of the human factor.

I'm sorry you don't understand science and scientific testing.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:37   #192
glocksterr
DirtyGlockHippy

Quote:
This we agree on...this is what I want to know! Even though Melonite is not a coating like chrome is.
sure is it. it just bonds in another way. actually its a plating

Last edited by glocksterr; 06-23-2012 at 12:44..
Old 06-23-2012, 12:40   #193
glocksterr
DirtyGlockHippy

Quote:
I'm sorry you don't understand science and scientific testing.
ya, too bad.

im in the top 1 percentile, think what it could have been if i actually understood something.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:49   #194
cyphertext

Quote:
ya, too bad.

im in the top 1 percentile, think what it could have been if i actually understood something.

Top 1 percentile of what? Enough childish games.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:52   #195
glocksterr
DirtyGlockHippy

Quote:
Top 1 percentile of what? Enough childish games.

it sure as hell isnt english.

but ya, enough. im going to shoot some mil-spec guns with mil-spec ammo.

peace out!
Old 06-23-2012, 12:57   #196
Matthew Courtney
CLM Number 285
Instructor #298

Quote:
Matthew, I have no experience with tracer rounds...is that grouping you got with the Smith normal for that type of ammo?

The incendiary compound in tracers does not always ignite or burn evenly or at a constant rate, which causes the ballistic coefficient to vary both within a bullet during flight, and from bullet to bullet at different distances. The group from the tracers was strung vertically. The horizontal dispersion was under an inch.

Our accuracy data is being collected in a way which makes it more valid in a comparative, or relative sense. This is opposed to an absolute sense. While it will be more valid for both types of applications as more data is added to the data set, if the most valid accuracy data for absolute applications were being sought, we would not be able to shoot the carbines in a manner which subjects them to the types of field conditions most likely to test their abilities to endure, rather than simply exist. 5 MOA is the military's standard for an infantry rifle. Right now let's consider the data +- .4 inches. BTG will help me give good accuracy ranges based upon the amount of data and the fluctuations of field conditions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 06-23-2012, 13:00   #197
cyphertext

Quote:
it sure as hell isnt english.

but ya, enough. im going to shoot some mil-spec guns with mil-spec ammo.

peace out!
Have fun....let me know about those tracer rounds! I thought you said you didn't have a Colt...
Old 06-23-2012, 13:34   #198
cyphertext

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD357 View Post
I am being civil....
My apologies... There is no way this is going to make it to the end without getting locked.
Old 06-23-2012, 13:52   #199
glocksterr
DirtyGlockHippy

Quote:
Have fun....let me know about those tracer rounds! I thought you said you didn't have a Colt...
tracers?

FYI something does not have to be used by the military to be considered mil-spec.

Old 06-23-2012, 14:41   #200
eyelikeglasses
Hooah, Hooah.

Happy Birthday! Thanks for doing the test and sharing the info.

Closed Thread