Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-24-2012, 17:20   #1
MLittle

Sig P220 vs Sig P220 Gen 2, SRT

Is there anyone out there that owns an older Sig da/sa pistol and a new da/sa Sig Gen 2 with SRT, and short trigger? Can you summarize the differences. Is the new Gen 2 easier to shoot? I'd like to go dry fire the Gen 2 at my local gun shop, but I think they would frown on that.
MLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 19:04   #2
Andy W

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLittle View Post
Is there anyone out there that owns an older Sig da/sa pistol and a new da/sa Sig Gen 2 with SRT, and short trigger? Can you summarize the differences. Is the new Gen 2 easier to shoot? I'd like to go dry fire the Gen 2 at my local gun shop, but I think they would frown on that.
What do you mean by Gen 2? Sig has done several things to their weapons over the years so Gen 2 could mean a lot of different things.
Andy W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 20:10   #3
collim1
Shower Time!

Love my US made Sig P220 it has the newer curved short reach trigger. Not sure what a Gen 2 Sig is. I love most anything made by Sig.
collim1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 20:25   #4
barth
six barrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLittle View Post
I have an older 1998 P220/45 DA/SA with a stamped steel slide and factory nickel plating.
Don't know what you mean by Gen 2?
When they switched to Stainless slides maybe???

I also have a P239/357 DA/SA that's just a few years old.
And has a stainless steel slide with black Nitron finish.

The P239 has a more refined glassy trigger than the P220.
They both have nice triggers though.

I had an SRT kit installed on the P239,
but honestly couldn't tell the difference shooting it.

I'm having professional trigger jobs done on both Sigs
as we speak and having an SRT kit installed on the P220 as well.

SRT is Short Reset Trigger and is a newer thingy that I don't think existed when my P220 was manufactured. But upgrade kits are still available for it.
I don't believe you're not going to be able to tell the short reset from dry fire anyway.

The short trigger is a newer thingy like the SRT, and can be had and installed in older guns as well. It's literally a shorter length to put your finger on the trigger for folks with short fingers.
I have small hands. And fingers are short as most girls.
And I don't need or want of a short trigger.

Even though some trigger internals, springs and such have
changed over the years.
Lots of the parts are still interchangeable within the same model.
The newer stainless steel slides with slide right on and work on my older pre-stainless alloy P220 receiver.

Last edited by barth; 05-24-2012 at 20:32..
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:10   #5
TxGlock9
2014 RACE TIME!

Friend of mine has a 1990 model P220 which was before they did the upgrades to the P220 line. The stamped steel models are definitely lighter which I don't like. Triggers are fairly similar. When you say Gen2 are you referring to the SAS model? SAS is only a dehorned model with SRT(short reset trigger).

Mine is a new regular P220 Carry model with SRT.

General Firearms Forum

I'm going to add Hogue Aluminum matte black checkered grips later.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:24   #6
fowler

I agree I like the newer Sigs for the one piece stainless slide and better edurance with less recoil. Allso the newer generation Ionbond vapor coating Nitron finish. Todays USA Sigs are the best made ever. The 220 r is my favorite with the MK25 Navy second. First class in 45 acp and the latter in 9mm. The 220r is much better than the Kimber it replaced,more accurate ,reliable and no cocked and locked carry.
fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:16   #7
Bruce M

I have older P22x versions and a newer P220 stainless with the SRT. After the first shot, I like and notice the difference with the SRT. The reset for me is quicker and lighter.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:31   #8
TSAX
USAF Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
After the first shot, I like and notice the difference with the SRT. The reset for me is quicker and lighter.
, you can notice a difference with the SRT, I did right away also and would prefer any Sig I owned had it. I miss my P228

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

GSSF Member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

NRA Member
TSAX is offline   Reply With Quote