GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2012, 16:59   #1
GreenDrake
Rip Lips
 
GreenDrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 7,635
Time's almost up, Creationists

http://news.yahoo.com/scientist-evol...155252505.html
__________________
"Can you FLY, Bobby?"
P229 EDC
GreenDrake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 17:19   #2
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 41,139


Just a question, but couldn't a deity have created human life through a process of evolution? Not sure how creation and evolution are mutually exclusive.

Last edited by Cavalry Doc; 05-26-2012 at 17:23..
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 17:29   #3
juggy4711
Nimrod Son
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Galveston County, TX
Posts: 3,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
Just a question, but couldn't a deity have created human life through a process of evolution? Not sure how creation and evolution are mutually exclusive.
I agree completely.
juggy4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 17:38   #4
muscogee
Senior Member
 
muscogee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 6,841


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
Just a question, but couldn't a deity have created human life through a process of evolution? Not sure how creation and evolution are mutually exclusive.
Must you hijack every thread with the same circular argument? So what?
__________________
"We don't pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes."

Leona Helmsley
muscogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 17:40   #5
imSteve
NRA Benefactor
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Round Rock, Texas
Posts: 43
things do evolve/change over time, yes

but God created 2 animals just for the evolutionists

1. wood pecker - evolved would have a fractured beak or brain trauma which would
lead to extinction
2. duck billed platapus - bear claws, venom gland, duck bill, eats totally under water
while eyes are closed.

these 2 animals could not have evolved
...and NASA engineers can prove with mathematics, it is impossible for a bumble bee to fly.

I think it takes more faith to believe this is all a "perfect accident" than a grand design

I probably will not change your mind, you are probably not going to change "Creationists" minds

...but hey, have a great day and please keep it civil
imSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 17:47   #6
GreenDrake
Rip Lips
 
GreenDrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 7,635
Food for thought in light of those that will still deny the process even with the myriad of evidence we currently have already. With so many different flavors of christianity, as well as all the other religions, even some christian creationists have a difficult time deciphering when hominid evolution took place, then there are others who devoutly believe in the garden of eden. Defies logical thought to think that such magical things are the basis of creation with ZERO evidence but a book written by self appointed intermediaries.
__________________
"Can you FLY, Bobby?"
P229 EDC
GreenDrake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 18:14   #7
JBnTX
None
 
JBnTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 13,851
There's only two kinds of people;
Those who believe in God, and those who will.
JBnTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 18:22   #8
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun
 
Animal Mother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 14,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by imSteve View Post
things do evolve/change over time, yes

but God created 2 animals just for the evolutionists

1. wood pecker - evolved would have a fractured beak or brain trauma which would
lead to extinction
2. duck billed platapus - bear claws, venom gland, duck bill, eats totally under water
while eyes are closed.

these 2 animals could not have evolved
Except they did.

Anatomy and Evolution of the Woodpecker's Tongue
Genome analysis of the platypus reveals unique signatures of evolution

Quote:
...and NASA engineers can prove with mathematics, it is impossible for a bumble bee to fly.
No one is served by repeating falsehoods.
Quote:
...but hey, have a great day and please keep it civil
Something we should all strive to achieve.
__________________
"Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair. Or beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
Animal Mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 18:24   #9
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 41,139


Quote:
Originally Posted by muscogee View Post
Must you hijack every thread with the same circular argument? So what?
We aren't talking about that.

We are talking about evolution, I'm just pointing out that evolution and creation are not mutually exclusive.
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 18:30   #10
JBnTX
None
 
JBnTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 13,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post

I'm just pointing out that evolution and creation are not mutually exclusive.

A lot of people on both sides fail to understand that it's not a one or the other discussion.

It's quite possible, and probably most likely, that evolution and creationism
both are valid concepts, with each playing their part.

Maybe God created evolution too?

..

Last edited by JBnTX; 05-26-2012 at 18:32..
JBnTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 18:32   #11
wallytoo
FA4AA
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 385
Time's up because Leakey says so? That's rather arrogant. I disagree. I believe Yahweh will decide when time's up.
wallytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 18:39   #12
wallytoo
FA4AA
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 385
Personally, the reason I find the two concepts mutually exclusive is that the Bible states that death was a direct result of the fall. Before sin, there was no death. For evolution to take place over millions/billions/kajillions of years, there would necessarily have to be death.

Does God have the power to have created all things in a way that used evolution? Yes. He also could have chosen to create everything in a fraction of a second. I believe He chose to do things the way He said He did, as recorded in Genesis.

I believe the Bible first, and my understanding of other viewpoints gets put through that 'filter'.
wallytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 18:41   #13
juggy4711
Nimrod Son
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Galveston County, TX
Posts: 3,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
We aren't talking about that.

We are talking about evolution, I'm just pointing out that evolution and creation are not mutually exclusive.
They're not unless of course one insists on insanities like man made from dust, women from a rib, and a 6000 yo Earth.
juggy4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 18:51   #14
juggy4711
Nimrod Son
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Galveston County, TX
Posts: 3,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallytoo View Post
I believe the Bible first, and my understanding of other viewpoints gets put through that 'filter'.
Thank God there were men that didn't. I'm rather fond of the things such men discovered.
juggy4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 19:01   #15
Vic Hays
Senior Member
 
Vic Hays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: My home is in heaven
Posts: 10,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
Just a question, but couldn't a deity have created human life through a process of evolution? Not sure how creation and evolution are mutually exclusive.
Christianity and evolution are exclusive.

Here it is:

If evolution is true there was no original sin in the Garden of Eden. If there was no original sin there is no need for a Savior. No need for a Savior means no need for Jesus sacrifice on the cross.

Deity could have created human life through a process of evolution. I used to believe in evolution, but evolution takes away all value and meaning to life and human life. If evolution is true then we are the result of an accident. I would rather be chastized by God than the alternative.

Hebrews 12:8 But if you be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are you bastards, and not sons.
__________________
Vic Hays

John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
Vic Hays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 19:20   #16
juggy4711
Nimrod Son
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Galveston County, TX
Posts: 3,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Hays View Post
...If evolution is true then we are the result of an accident...
There's your problem right there, you do not properly understand evolution. Evolution is not an accident.
juggy4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 19:35   #17
Gunhaver
the wrong hands
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,736
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Mother View Post
It would be so great if, when one put forth one of these fallacious arguments and it was promptly shot down as being anti science propaganda, that person would say something to the effect of, "Oh, I wasn't aware of that. Of course that's how bumblebees can fly. Why, they do it all the time and I was told it was magic. I've been duped."

Instead I suspect he'll tuck the bumblebee, platypus and woodpecker arguments back in the deck in his pocket for another day and another crowd to see if they will buy it.

Truth doesn't matter. Only lies that serve the cause and whatever truth they may stumble upon that might be useful to them.
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 20:17   #18
Vic Hays
Senior Member
 
Vic Hays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: My home is in heaven
Posts: 10,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggy4711 View Post
There's your problem right there, you do not properly understand evolution. Evolution is not an accident.
God can create a bird in flight, a universe with the light in place and a full grown man and woman. He doesn't need lots of time and death to create.

Death is an enemy that will be destroyed.

I Corinthians 15:25 For he must reign, till he has put all enemies under his feet.
15:26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.
__________________
Vic Hays

John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
Vic Hays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 20:30   #19
juggy4711
Nimrod Son
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Galveston County, TX
Posts: 3,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Hays View Post
God can create a bird in flight, a universe with the light in place and a full grown man and woman. He doesn't need lots of time and death to create.

Death is an enemy that will be destroyed.

I Corinthians 15:25 For he must reign, till he has put all enemies under his feet.
15:26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.
Sure God could have but didn't as all scientific evidence shows. Thankfully God allows us to understand these things. Your view of God is limiting. Mine provides the medium for this conversation. Yours would still have us scribing on animal skins.
juggy4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 20:46   #20
Gunhaver
the wrong hands
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,736
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by imSteve View Post
things do evolve/change over time, yes

but
Is the macro vs micro evolution thing again?

Here's a question never answered by creationists; Where does micro end and macro begin? How many little changes are allowed by biology and what stops those little changes from going too far?
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 20:46   #21
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun
 
Animal Mother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 14,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Hays View Post
Christianity and evolution are exclusive.
That's a serious problem for Christianity, considering that evolution has been observed, both in the lab and in the wild.
Quote:

Here it is:

If evolution is true there was no original sin in the Garden of Eden. If there was no original sin there is no need for a Savior. No need for a Savior means no need for Jesus sacrifice on the cross.

Deity could have created human life through a process of evolution. I used to believe in evolution, but evolution takes away all value and meaning to life and human life. If evolution is true then we are the result of an accident. I would rather be chastized by God than the alternative.

Hebrews 12:8 But if you be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are you bastards, and not sons.
Are you under the impression that what you prefer has any impact on reality? I would prefer that we all rode unicorns instead of driving cars. Does that make unicorns real?
__________________
"Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair. Or beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
Animal Mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 21:14   #22
juggy4711
Nimrod Son
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Galveston County, TX
Posts: 3,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Mother View Post
....Are you under the impression that what you prefer has any impact on reality? I would prefer that we all rode unicorns instead of driving cars. Does that make unicorns real?
That's what I don't get either. I mean I understand sticking to ones faith but when that faith contradicts observable, testable, measurable reality, then I'm like WTF? The medium they are arguing on requires that science is correct.

I don't think they understand that if evolution was wrong then molecular biology would be wrong, bio chemistry would be wrong, chemistry would be wrong, genetics would be wrong, electromagnetism would be wrong etc...And most importantly this conversation would not be possible on the medium in which we are having it.
juggy4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 22:10   #23
Vic Hays
Senior Member
 
Vic Hays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: My home is in heaven
Posts: 10,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggy4711 View Post
Sure God could have but didn't as all scientific evidence shows. Thankfully God allows us to understand these things. Your view of God is limiting. Mine provides the medium for this conversation. Yours would still have us scribing on animal skins.

All scientific evidence does not show. The majority of scientists are taught and interpret data spinning toward evolution. I was taught evolution and believed it until I began to examine some of the claims and evidence.

I Timothy 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to your trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with you. Amen.

__________________
Vic Hays

John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
Vic Hays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 23:08   #24
juggy4711
Nimrod Son
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Galveston County, TX
Posts: 3,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Hays View Post
All scientific evidence does not show. The majority of scientists are taught and interpret data spinning toward evolution. I was taught evolution and believed it until I began to examine some of the claims and evidence.

I Timothy 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to your trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with you. Amen.

"From Evolutionist to Creationist" by Walter J. Veith - YouTube
Yes all real science does show. That BS you claim is science isn't. It's bull crap you need to call science because it makes you feel justified and comfortable.

I know, I Timothy is far greater evidence of whatever you think it proves. I know you have some fringe science not accepted by the rest of the scientific community you put forth because real science makes you uncomfortable.

Once again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggy4711 View Post
I don't think they understand that if evolution was wrong then molecular biology would be wrong, bio chemistry would be wrong, chemistry would be wrong, genetics would be wrong, electromagnetism would be wrong etc...And most importantly this conversation would not be possible on the medium in which we are having it.
And again posting scripture is proof of nothing other than how gullible you are.
juggy4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 23:35   #25
Gunhaver
the wrong hands
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,736
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Hays View Post
All scientific evidence does not show. The majority of scientists are taught and interpret data spinning toward evolution. I was taught evolution and believed it until I began to examine some of the claims and evidence.

I Timothy 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to your trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with you. Amen.

"From Evolutionist to Creationist" by Walter J. Veith - YouTube
If you were ever "taught evolution" then it didn't sink in much because you constantly display a poor understanding of how it works. I suspect that you found "god did it" to be much easier to understand with the added bonus that you got to feel all warm and fuzzy inside so you went with that.

If most scientists are being taught a lie then how are they able to figure anything out? Garbage in=Garbage out, you know. Scientists, especially those that deal most directly with biology issues, have been putting out more and more non-garbage as understanding of evolution increases and you happily take advantage of it dozens of times a day without understanding where it came from. More lies=closer to truth? That's not how reality works.

I'm the opposite. I wanted the answers that made sense and "god did it" and "the bible says so" were proving to be more and more inadequate from the happy ignorants. The truth fills way more than one book.
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:08.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,179
385 Members
794 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42