Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-27-2012, 20:11   #1
Lakota

Horizonal CCW carry.

In reference to entry # 218 about methods of carry, I don't wish to be tedious on this issue and I do understand your response and generally agree with it; if im not mistaken, in one of your published writings you do describe an incident of a vertically carried handgun and an AD that did penetrate the floor and cause injury or death to a person on the lower floor.

Still, I think that such an occurence - projectile through floor - is much less likely to penetrate (especially some) floors than an unobstructed projectile AD carried in a horizontal position rather than a a vertical or angular position; the last two offered methods much less likely of harming or terminating another person on a lower floor rather than the horizontal carry method endangering standing behind, near or in line with the AD trajectory.

With due respect, your reference to people being unaware of the issued hazard, does not diminish that danger.

I am aware of and respect the fact that you are a police officer, and that many plain clothes police officer employ the horizontal carry method for the practical reason of a quicker draw and employment. It may be therefore that this fact is a 'political' issue rather than a generally pragmatic one of paramount safety wherein the vertical and angled carry are less likely to harm anyone.

You do speak of the importance of much practise, which of course develops 'muscle memory' (actually originating from the brain, of course), I am suggesting that such practise with a vertical and especially an angular carried holster would - and does - in fact minimize the hazard of harming someone via horizontal carry, which, I am aware, is a favored carry method of many CCWs including police officers.

Please understand that I am not suggesting any new laws, or banning or mandates in support of this suggestion, while I am in favor of the issued methods being an unwritten requirement - one of handgun etiquette - comparable to the unwritten rules against 'gun waving' on or off a shooting range for example, where such incident can and does motivate range masters to dismiss the trespasser, especially when the unwritten requirement is repeated.

I am aware that such a requirement inevitably entails the industries that manufacture and sell such accessories, as well as those (man) who employ it.

Whereas, the cardinal factor of safety is in suspension here...

Best regards
- Lakota
Lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:48   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

I hear ya, Lakota, and I see your points. I still stand by what I said here; http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1423830

The handguns of the SWAT cop with thigh holster and the CCW carrier with pocket holster sitting across a table from me will be oriented in my direction. So long as they keep their hands off them, we're all fine. If I drop my fork, stand and turn and bend over to retrieve it, the muzzle of the .45 in my hip holster will be oriented toward them, but so long as I keep my hand away from it, we're all still fine.

I think we may have to respectfully "agree to disagree" on this issue.

Best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:52   #3
Lakota

Dear Mas:

Thank you very much for your patience and response. I Have learned a heck of a lot from your books and your conversational formats on Utube.

Respectfully wishing best regards,
- Lakota
Lakota is offline   Reply With Quote