SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-28-2012, 13:32   #1
snatiep

NY1 spring?

Hello!

I have both a Glock 19 and a Glock 26 that I carry regularly and both are completely stock.

I'm thinking of adding the NY1 spring to both to make them safer to carry.

Both of my Glocks have the "." connector. Would you recommend I leave the "." connector? Or with the NY1 spring installed, do you recommend a differenct connector be installed as well?

I thank you very much for your thoughts and comments.

Nate
snatiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 16:29   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

snatiep, where the "safety" factor comes into it with the NY-1 trigger is when the gun is drawn in a high-stress situation, and the finger migrates to the trigger prematurely despite the shooter's best intentions and training. When body alarm reaction kicks in, vasoconstriction occurs, redirecting blood flow away from extremities such as the fingers. This is why frightened white folks appear to turn deathly pale, and it's why all of us under stress get clumsier.

At the risk of oversimplification, the rationale of the NY-1 in the safety context is that, since it gives a much more firm resistance to the trigger finger at the beginning of a Glock's trigger pull, the user in a fight or flight state is more likely to realize that the trigger is starting to move, in time to stop that movement if it was not intentional.

The NY-1 came out when Glocks were still in Generation 2 of their development. The "dot" connector (".") came out with Generation 4, and is not recommended by Glock for a gun used for duty unless that gun IS a Gen4 pistol. The reason for the "dot" connector is that subtle dimensional changes in the design, necessary to accommodate the Gen4 adjustable backstraps, made the trigger pull heavier. I've personally found that the NY-1 on a factory Gen4 pistol has a much heavier pull than does an NY-1 on earlier generations of the Glock.

Fortunately, it's cheap for you to "buy and try." If the NY-1 doesn't work out for you on a Gen4 pistol, go back to the standard factory configuration with the "dot" connector. If it doesn't work out for you on a Gen3 or earlier Glock, I would suggest you go back to 5.5 pound connector.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote