Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-29-2012, 18:34   #1
Brucev

Houston, I've Got A Problem...

This afternoon I dropped by the range and had a nice time shooting my pistol... SA-GI 1911-A1. About 10 minutes ago I took it out of the case to clean it. Of course I breeched it open to make sure it was empty. And of course, it was empty. I lowered the slide and pulled the trigger. The trigger will not move. The thumb safety operates properly.

Any ideas? I'm thinking if I drive out the pin and remove the mainspring housing, I will ten be able to see what's going on with the hammer. I bought the pistol used, so I don't think it will do any good to call SA. Would I be better off to just send it to SA anyway?
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 18:54   #2
Troubled Gecko

Although it's used Springfields full lifetime warranty transfers over to anyone owning it (good news for you).

Possibilites of why the trigger will not move? The trigger bow may be bent. The grip safety may not be disengaging because the leaf spring isn't seated properly or broken.

If you're confident in the disassembly process I'd take it apart to figure it out.

Are there after market parts on it? Could be a fitment issue with the thumb safety.

Possibly the trigger screw may have come loose and it isn't resetting.

I'm sure I'll think of more reasons but at least ya have a place to start.

Last edited by Troubled Gecko; 05-29-2012 at 19:12..
Troubled Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 19:26   #3
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

Sounds like a grip safety issue
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 20:06   #4
Brucev

Well Golly! Gomer figured it out. I pushed out the mainspring housing pin and of course the mainspring housing came out neat as a pin. The pin that goes into the mainspring housing to hold the hammer spring is missing. So... the hammer spring and the associated pieces will not compress so that i can put them back in the pistol. Also, the hammer strut is broken about .5 inch above the tip that sits in the little cup on the hammer spring. So... looks like I'll be calling SA tomorrow morning to see what the parts cost and how to get them shipped. I can't tell yet if the large leaf spring is O.K. I do not have the hand strength to remove the thumb safety, so I can't do anything about removing the grip safety, etc. I'll call SA tomorrow and let them tell me what is to be done.

I appreciate the helpful suggestions. I've shot S&W revolvers for years. My brother (deceased) adored 1911's and as a result I got to borrow and shoot a lot of them, but I've not ever taken one apart except at his house. Again, thank you.

Last edited by Brucev; 05-29-2012 at 21:03..
Old 05-30-2012, 03:39   #5
The_Drizzle
I make it rain!

If your SA GI has the special MSH with the lock built into it, it will not have a pin to hold the hammer spring in place. Springfield supplies a special pin to insert into the hole for take down.

But if the hammer strut is broken might as well send it back to Springfield or at least see if they will send you a new hammer strut. Should cost you nothing. Springfield has awesome customer service.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:54   #6
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

Damn,........hammer struts don't break often.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:19   #7
Brucev

I figure I'll give SA a phone call this morning after they open. Reading their warranty page, it doesn't look like I'll qualify for warranty service as I'm not the original owner. Hopefully they'll at least sell the hammer strut and tell me how to get the thumb safety off without scratching everything up. I realize I'll have to remove the hammer to replace the strut.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:49   #8
Rally Vincent
Bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
Damn,........hammer struts don't break often.
No kiddin. This is the first time I've heard of it happening. :/
Niners Club Member - #196
1911 Club Member - #001
"All evil comes from the old.They grow fat on ideas and young men die of them."
Rally Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 19:37   #9
Bodyarmorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucev View Post
I figure I'll give SA a phone call this morning after they open. Reading their warranty page, it doesn't look like I'll qualify for warranty service as I'm not the original owner. Hopefully they'll at least sell the hammer strut and tell me how to get the thumb safety off without scratching everything up. I realize I'll have to remove the hammer to replace the strut.
I am betting that they will honor the warranty and send you a replacement hammer and strut. Me, I would replace the ILS MSH with an offering from Guncrafter.