Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-09-2012, 20:19   #1
glockbanger

Best 308 Semi Auto Rifle for the $Coin$ ?

AR-10s are above what I want to spend. I know Cetme's are going for around $500, but I know nothing about their quality or manufacturer. Another potential would be the FAL. I need something that can easily mount a scope.

IYO, what is the best 308 Semi-Auto for the money?

Last edited by glockbanger; 06-09-2012 at 20:24..
glockbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 20:22   #2
im413

I have a H&K G3. Great rifle for the money.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 06-09-2012, 20:31   #3
Fwdftw

larue OBR :D
Fwdftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 20:46   #4
glockbanger

Nice suggestions, does the G3 beat the FAL in accuracy?
Old 06-09-2012, 20:55   #5
Matthew Courtney
CLM Number 285
Instructor #298

Best for what application? Hunting? CQB? Long range target shooting?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Matthew Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 21:29   #6
glockbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Courtney View Post
Best for what application? Hunting? CQB? Long range target shooting?
I don't currently own a rifle. I need something for dual purpose. Hunting and SD in SHTF scenario only. If it's a heavy rifle like the FAL, it would be alright. I'd like to have something that can match the AR-10 in accuracy at a lower price.
Old 06-09-2012, 21:40   #7
smokin762

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockbanger View Post
I'd like to have something that can match the AR-10 in accuracy at a lower price.

Sorry but that was funny.
smokin762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 22:17   #8
glockbanger

What is wrong with a Cetme?
Old 06-09-2012, 23:13   #9
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Most of them are poorly built, and will take some work to really get running. At its heart, it's a battle rifle, and not a precision weapon.
Old 06-09-2012, 23:28   #10
M1A Shooter

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A Shooter
too many crappy versions of the cetme.

i would go m14 style. can still find decent deals on a Norinco/Polytech rifle. some of them need to eventually have bolt replacements as there were some batches that werent heat treated properly. springfield armory also makes a decent rifle for the money.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:42   #11
beatcop

There is no .308 battle rifle on a budget. After years of debating which way to go...build or buy, just save your cash and get a decent version of whatever you like.

The scope mounts are 50 for chinese crap to 250 for steel USA...

Sorry to generalize, but people have been thinking about this years.
beatcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:31   #12
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

DSA.Ya get what ya pay for.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:10   #13
NBT

FN Herstal FNAR, Kel Tec RFB, then the AR10's. Still going to be a grand + to get into the show...without optics. It stings a bit up front..but it's worth it IMHO. I looked for over a year to find the right one...it was worth the wait.
Not sure if you follow any other forums...but I picked up a used Armalite AR10T, ammo, and mags for a great price.
Armalite makes an AR chambered in the 7.62X39...for $920.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...pacity+16%22+B
Old 06-10-2012, 09:48   #14
smokin762

Quote:

Before I was able to afford AR style rifles and AR 10 style rifles, I bought a few different rifles on my tight budget that I thought would fill the role as a heavy hitter or battle rifle. They did not work well enough for me to keep.

The accuracy, consistency and reliability just weren’t there. Trust me, if you want all the above, you need to start saving your money for something better. Don’t expect Ferrari performance out of a Yugo.

FAL rifles are good rifle. Providing it has a good receiver. For that I would want an IMBEL or a DSA. I bought one years ago with an IMBEL receiver and rebuilt it with all new springs and sight adjustment screws. Then I bought a military surplus unissued bolt and carrier and had a gunsmith head space it. After that it was a performer.

Later I sold it to a friend, whom still owns it and uses it for popup target competitions out to 300 meters. He usually gets 38 out of 40 with it.

Since, I have replaced it with an Australian L1A1 parts kit on an IMBEL receiver. I have done the same with this rifle as well. It is also a performer but I use either a red dotor scope with it. I mostly shoot my AR 10 type rifle.

Save up your money and get something better, because you get what you pay for. Just trying to help and not trying to say mine is better than yours type of thing.

If I would have had a clue about this, I could have saved a lot of aggrivation.

Last edited by smokin762; 06-10-2012 at 09:53..
smokin762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:54   #15
WayaX
Lifetime Membership

.308 battle rifle, and budget do not go well together. If you only have $500 to spend on it, how are you going to afford ammo? What about an optic?

Save your money and get a SCAR or OBR. They're currently the best in the field.
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

-Haile Selassie I
WayaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 17:42   #16
RYT 2BER

Did I miss something? Isn't the saiga 308 the item you are looking for?
Old 06-14-2012, 19:39   #17
PlasticGuy

The only reliable .308 battle rifle in your price range is the Saiga, but that would not be my suggestion. Larger capacity magazines are hard to find and not cheap. Optics mounts are expensive, suck, or both. The triggers are terrible. Accuracy is mediocre at best. They are reliable, but they are not cost effective in the long run and are not very accurate.

My suggestion is to save up until you can afford a DSA FAL or a PRT-91. Both will be in the $1000 ballpark, but anything cheaper will mean giving up performance that I would insist on.
Old 06-14-2012, 20:07   #18
RYT 2BER

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticGuy View Post
The only reliable .308 battle rifle in your price range is the Saiga, but that would not be my suggestion. Larger capacity magazines are hard to find and not cheap. Optics mounts are expensive, suck, or both. The triggers are terrible. Accuracy is mediocre at best. They are reliable, but they are not cost effective in the long run and are not very accurate.

My suggestion is to save up until you can afford a DSA FAL or a PRT-91. Both will be in the $1000 ballpark, but anything cheaper will mean giving up performance that I would insist on.
I disagree with much of this post. Large cap mags are "hard" to find? Ummm yeah about as hard as googling hi cap saiga 308 mags. They sell them all over... Not quite hard to get...

Triggers are terrible? A $60 trigger upgrade and you're good to go. Optic mounts expensive suck or both? Good God please...

Let's just chalk it up to for whatever reason you " don't like saigas".... Most people love them without hesitation. Really don't know your motivation as the saiga answers the ops question

And for the record it's ptr not prt

Last edited by RYT 2BER; 06-14-2012 at 20:11..
RYT 2BER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 20:29   #19
GlockPride
Glock 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYT 2BER View Post
I disagree with much of this post. Large cap mags are "hard" to find? Ummm yeah about as hard as googling hi cap saiga 308 mags. They sell them all over... Not quite hard to get...

Triggers are terrible? A $60 trigger upgrade and you're good to go. Optic mounts expensive suck or both? Good God please...

Let's just chalk it up to for whatever reason you " don't like saigas".... Most people love them without hesitation. Really don't know your motivation as the saiga answers the ops question

Rock on, you just gave that cat the equivalant of the playground beat down!!!

I have been hunting this .308 issue hard the last month so I'm glad this topic came up. I'm in the buy once cry once category and want for your same reasons, OP. I'm really wanting an 18" barrel as I feel that 16" might sacrifice too much velocity for my comfort level. 20" is getting long for house/car movement.

Bolt= great gun, might be too slow
FAL= too many bad parts guns and lack or optic options
M1A= too heavy
AR-10= maybe, lots of options and very similar to my 5.56, can be fairly heavy
Saiga= not my cup of tea, and heard of some(not a lot) of frustrations.
Sig 716= AR style that is growing on me. Only 9ish lbs
SCAR= top of my list. 8 lbs bare, folding and collapsing stock with cheek weld, cool gas system, rails where I need them. And, it's just plain BA!
LaRue= good guys, made it Texas, just spendy. If you want to win comps apparently they are the way to go, right now.
Keltec= love my PF9, not so sure plastic of those characteristics work well in a medium power "battle rifle". Good concept though. Not worth $1400-1600 to me, but might try it at $8-900.

Let's keep this going I need more ideas.
Eph6:12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.13Therefore put on the full armor of God

Last edited by GlockPride; 06-14-2012 at 20:32..
GlockPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 20:50   #20
PlasticGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYT 2BER View Post

Wow, you act like I just kicked your puppy. No I do not hate Saigas. Two of my favorite rifles are converted Saiga rifles (Krebs and customized Arsenal). I took third one to a Suarez class in Houston last spring, and it shot great.

HOWEVER, a sniper rifle it is not. The OP said he wants something that will compete accuracy wise with an AR-10. By the time you alter/modify/accessorize a Saiga enough to reach it's full potential, it will be more expensive than an AR-10 and still less accurate.

Sorry amigo. A properly converted Saiga is a good rifle, but not for the role he is looking to fill.