Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-05-2012, 21:48   #1
mixflip

Anyone ever taken classe from "Gun Site" in Arizona?

Im thinking about taking a handgun course from them? Any feed back from GT members?
mixflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:49   #2
ca survivor

I like to know too.
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:13   #3
Tony Rumore

I had a week long class there, shooting AK's and Glock 9's. I had a good time. Everyone was pretty serious, except me.
I ended up getting yelled at for acting like I was on vacation. I said, "I am on vacation!"

Tony Rumore
Tromix
Tony Rumore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:14   #4
kashdaddy
Glockaholic

its alright! Prefer Thunder Ranch, Texas..............yeeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.
G17, G19, G27, G22, G34, G35, G21, AR-15, AK-47, SKS, Mossberg, Benelli, Tec9, Mac10, Dan Wesson, Para Ordnance, Wilson Combat 1911, Kimber .45, S&W, Taurus, Hi-Point, HK, Springfield, CZ, .308 Sniper Rifle, .243 Deer Rifle, Kimber Rifle, Colt .22
kashdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:43   #5
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Rumore View Post
I had a week long class there, shooting AK's and Glock 9's. I had a good time. Everyone was pretty serious, except me.
I ended up getting yelled at for acting like I was on vacation. I said, "I am on vacation!"

Tony Rumore
Tromix
So, I wasn't the only one who felt that way.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:43   #6
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashdaddy View Post
its alright! Prefer Thunder Ranch, Texas..............yeeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.
Isn't it in Oregon or Washington, or one of those granola states now?
Old 06-06-2012, 18:26   #7
Henry's Dad
woof, woof

Just be sure you know what you're signing up for.

I once took a class (I won't say where, but it wasn't with Gun Site) that was described as a defensive pistol class.

The instructors were all IPSC guys and I felt like we spent more time on "competition" skills than anything else. I realize the skills are translatable to defensive needs, but it wasn't what I expected.
Henry's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:06   #8
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry's Dad View Post
Just be sure you know what you're signing up for.

I once took a class (I won't say where, but it wasn't with Gun Site) that was described as a defensive pistol class.

The instructors were all IPSC guys and I felt like we spent more time on "competition" skills than anything else. I realize the skills are translatable to defensive needs, but it wasn't what I expected.
So true, so true.

I've seen videos of various trainings conducted by the high-speed-low-drag commando types with great combat credentials and I asked myself, "WTF, over?"

You think that lil' lady or the fat old guy is going to "close with to point blank range" and shoot at somebody? Or going to be rolling around doing sommersaults on the ground?
Old 06-07-2012, 10:36   #9
Pauld58103

Just got back from Gunsite 250 defensive pistol course. Loved it and learned a lot, but, the previous post about these instructors being "serious" is absolutely true.

The range officer while I was there was ex-military (25 years) and did 5 years with Blackstar after that. Great guy, great instructor but there was NO *******ing around.

It's serious defensive stuff they're teaching, and they push you on speed and accuracy. Guy in my group shot himself in the leg while re-holstering, had to be "lifeflighted" out. Was told the same thing happened the week before.

When I tell you they push you, I mean it.

The Tactical stuff outside and in the "funhouse" was cool - hard, and I strongly believe essential for self defense. Those tactical courses can be seen on YouTube.

I met some GREAT guys in the class, had tons of fun and am going back in October.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Pauld58103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:44   #10
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauld58103 View Post
Just got back from Gunsite 250 defensive pistol course. Loved it and learned a lot, but, the previous post about these instructors being "serious" is absolutely true.

The range officer while I was there was ex-military (25 years) and did 5 years with Blackstar after that. Great guy, great instructor but there was NO *******ing around.

It's serious defensive stuff they're teaching, and they push you on speed and accuracy. Guy in my group shot himself in the leg while re-holstering, had to be "lifeflighted" out. Was told the same thing happened the week before.

The Tactical stuff outside and in the "funhouse" was cool - hard, and I strongly believe essential for self defense. Those tactical courses can be seen on YouTube.

I met some GREAT guys in the class, had tons of fun and am going back in October.

You can be serious without having to be "serious".

I told those people when I went through that they're training me how to do self-defense/combat shooting, but they are not training me to be a soldier. Uncle Sam did it a long time ago.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:09   #11
Rally Vincent
Bipolar

I went a while ago. Just to see what all the hubbub was about.
It was ok. Not really worth the money.
Niners Club Member - #196
1911 Club Member - #001
"All evil comes from the old.They grow fat on ideas and young men die of them."
Rally Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 19:16   #12
mixflip

Just curious but what gun did the guy shoot himself with?

We recently got the word (form the director of DPS) that we can no longer carry 1911's due to an officer shooting himself in the leg as he reholstered.

Yes I know its not the guns fault. But the brass no longer likes the idea of locked & cocked. So we are screwed out of carrying 1911's now.

Last edited by mixflip; 06-11-2012 at 22:17..
mixflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:13   #13
ChiefWPD

I've been involved in police and civilian firearms instruction for around 35 years. Too often, very experienced instructors forget their basic function, ensuring that their students are trained to a level that is both practical and task related. I'm not "against" taking training at these various training venues. Indeed, I'm sure you'll come away with additional skills and information that will be of value. None the less, you have to ask yourself, what are my real needs and what tools and tactics will most help me meet these needs.

My 2 cents...
Old 06-09-2012, 14:29   #14
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauld58103 View Post

If they've had two people shoot themselves in 2 weeks, I would REALLY look hard at what they're doing, because they've screwed something up.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 14:55   #15
seanmac45
CLM Number 38
Charter Lifetime Member

Gunsite is NOTHING like it was under the leadership of Jeff Cooper.
Old 06-09-2012, 18:53   #16
ronin.45

If I'm going to a shooting class I'm going to try to have fun. If I got yelled at for having a good time and joking around I'd be pissed. Taking a week off and paying tons of money better net me something fun.
Old 06-09-2012, 19:27   #17
NewWaveGuy
BRAVIA 4 LIFE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashdaddy View Post

Why do you prefer Thunder Ranch?
"This chick can't kill me, I just didnt want her breaking my TV." - gh0st614
NewWaveGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:43   #18
Rally Vincent
Bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixflip View Post
Just curious but what gun did the guy shoot himself with?

We recently got the word (form the director of DPS) that we can no longer carry 1911's due to an officer shooting himself in the led as he reholstered.
What does an officer shooting himself in the leg have anything to do with the pistol being a 1911 design?
Niners Club Member - #196
1911 Club Member - #001
"All evil comes from the old.They grow fat on ideas and young men die of them."
Rally Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:17   #19
ppicasso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally Vincent View Post
What does an officer shooting himself in the leg have anything to do with the pistol being a 1911 design?
Really?

The 1911 "design" is a single action pistol that will go off if you don't take care to keep your finger away from the trigger during a re-holster. It can happen with other "designs" also, but it is more common with single action only triggers.
ppicasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:51   #20
oscarthegrouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppicasso View Post
Really?

The 1911 "design" is a single action pistol that will go off if you don't take care to keep your finger away from the trigger during a re-holster. It can happen with other "designs" also, but it is more common with single action only triggers.
Really? 'Cause when I holster my 1911, the safety is on, so even if a piece of clothing should accidentally get into the trigger guard, nothings going to go "bang". I always worried about that with my Glock.
oscarthegrouch is offline   Reply With Quote