SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:46   #1
rich52us

Send a message via Yahoo to rich52us
Colt Defender - holster/mags/ammo/accessories

Hello. I have my dealer looking for a .45ACP Defender for me. I intend to make it a primary CCW pistol. I'll probably leave it stock, but I might change the grips if they are too bulky.

I will wear it strong (right) side IW behind the hip (4 - 4:30). I have no trouble pocket carrying a G26, so I might also consider pocket carry, although I realize weight may be an issue. What holster(s) would you guys recommend? which is easier on the finish, leather or kydex or hybrid? What extra mags? Good s/d ammo? Any other accessories I should consider?

I know it's a lot of questions lol. Thanks in advance.

Rich
#3014 in the Big Dawg , Kel-Tec , Sub, HK & Black Rifle Clubs. .

Last edited by rich52us; 06-08-2012 at 13:57..
rich52us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 13:14   #2
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

The Defender has an aluminum frame so it should be fairly light. At 24-oz empty, it's not that much heavier than the Glock's 20-oz. I'll bet that if you were to go to a set of wooden grips, the weight disparity would be even less.

The 3" barrel is shorter than the 3.5" barrel of the old Officer's ACP series, so holsters should be chosen with this in mind.

It's no secret that I'm a fan of Milt Sparks custom leathers and they do make holsters specifically for the New Agent/Defender series.

As far as leathers, plastic, hybrid goes, that's for you to decide. The slide is stainless steel, so I doubt that it would scratch so easy.

Extra mags? You can go with the Gucci (Wilson Combat), or you can go with something else. My preference runs towards Mec-Gar.

Hollowpoints? Whichever that feeds well for your gun.
Old 06-08-2012, 13:30   #3
rich52us

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
The Defender has an aluminum frame so it should be fairly light. At 24-oz empty, it's not that much heavier than the Glock's 20-oz. I'll bet that if you were to go to a set of wooden grips, the weight disparity would be even less.

The 3" barrel is shorter than the 3.5" barrel of the old Officer's ACP series, so holsters should be chosen with this in mind.

It's no secret that I'm a fan of Milt Sparks custom leathers and they do make holsters specifically for the New Agent/Defender series.

As far as leathers, plastic, hybrid goes, that's for you to decide. The slide is stainless steel, so I doubt that it would scratch so easy.

Extra mags? You can go with the Gucci (Wilson Combat), or you can go with something else. My preference runs towards Mec-Gar.

Hollowpoints? Whichever that feeds well for your gun.
Thanks for the response fnfalman. I was wondering if the weight of the ammo (9mm 124/.25 230) may also be a factor. I definetely use HPs for s/d ammo, but was wondering if bullet weight is a factor in the light weight Defender. I don't need Gucchi mags lol, just dependable mags. Milt Sparks seems like a good place to look for a holster.
Old 06-08-2012, 13:50   #4
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

You didn't say what caliber your Colt is. If it's a 9mm then the weight of the ammo should be the same with the G26.

In 9mm, there isn't a lot of choices for mags: Wilson, Chip McCormick, Colt (rebadged Checkmate or Metalform), Tripp Research, Mec-Gar, and other brand's mags which are also rebadged from other magazine manufacturers.

Tripp Research mags are about the same cost as Wilson but supposedly much better built. I don't know because I have yet to own and use any Trip Research. I don't know of anybody that says anything bad about Tripp Research mags. I am not particularly impressed with Wilson mags and actually will not recommend them for non-.45ACP caliber at all. My 9mm, ,.38 Super and 10mm Wilsons are jamamatics. I have great luck with Mec-Gar magazines in various calibers so right now they are my brands of choice. Chip McCormick mags seem to be really well made too, though I don't have any of theirs in 9mm (.45, 10mm and .38 Super only).

Milt Sparks makes great holsters BUT the wait is five to six months. Know that before you get into it.

Seth's Gunleathers also does beautiful work BUT the wait is about four months.

There are a plethora of custom saddlers who are GlockTalk members who have much less waiting periods. Whomever you choose to go with, make sure they know that the Defender/New Agent has shorter barrel & slide than the Officer's ACP. Lots of people don't know that.
Old 06-08-2012, 13:56   #5
rich52us

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
You didn't say what caliber your Colt is. If it's a 9mm then the weight of the ammo should be the same with the G26.

In 9mm, there isn't a lot of choices for mags: Wilson, Chip McCormick, Colt (rebadged Checkmate or Metalform), Tripp Research, Mec-Gar, and other brand's mags which are also rebadged from other magazine manufacturers.

Tripp Research mags are about the same cost as Wilson but supposedly much better built. I don't know because I have yet to own and use any Trip Research. I don't know of anybody that says anything bad about Tripp Research mags. I am not particularly impressed with Wilson mags and actually will not recommend them for non-.45ACP caliber at all. My 9mm, ,.38 Super and 10mm Wilsons are jamamatics. I have great luck with Mec-Gar magazines in various calibers so right now they are my brands of choice. Chip McCormick mags seem to be really well made too, though I don't have any of theirs in 9mm (.45, 10mm and .38 Super only).

Milt Sparks makes great holsters BUT the wait is five to six months. Know that before you get into it.

Seth's Gunleathers also does beautiful work BUT the wait is about four months.

There are a plethora of custom saddlers who are GlockTalk members who have much less waiting periods. Whomever you choose to go with, make sure they know that the Defender/New Agent has shorter barrel & slide than the Officer's ACP. Lots of people don't know that.
.45ACP for the defender. Thanks for pointing that out. I added it to the original post.

Last edited by rich52us; 06-08-2012 at 13:57..
Old 06-08-2012, 14:28   #6
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich52us View Post
.45ACP for the defender. Thanks for pointing that out. I added it to the original post.
So, the weight of the ammo alone would probably be the same: 6-rds of .45ACP versus 10-rds of 9mm. Close enough, anyway.
Old 06-10-2012, 18:28   #7
ca survivor

guns are sooo lite at the gun shop, but once you load them
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 15:17   #8
rich52us

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca survivor View Post
guns are sooo lite at the gun shop, but once you load them
True. I guess I'll find out since one should get to my FFL for me tomorrow.