Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-08-2012, 15:07   #1
txgunguy

New 20sf, had a fte UPDATE

Just took it out. In the first 20 rounds I had a fail to extract. Round went off, pulled the trigger again and got a click. I was using underwood ammo 180gr fmj. I ejected the mag, and when i racked the slide, the empty case came out. The gun is stock right now. Do I need a heavier recoil spring when shooting hot ammo like this? What could cause this besides the slide moving too fast?

Update:
Had 3 FTEjects this afternoon 6/14. It only did this with 165gr ammo. Pics included in later post.

Last edited by txgunguy; 06-14-2012 at 17:23..
txgunguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 15:34   #2
GRT45
Transform & Win

Perhaps the one round was slightly out of spec with an over-sized case. For a new gun test or before a competition, some shooters will remove the barrel and drop in every cartridge from the ammo box for a barrel check. It should drop in freely, all the way, and drop out freely when the barrel is inverted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
: Strictly monogamous, I have one Glock and one woman.
GLOCK Certified Armorer,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Member,
Endowment Member, Eagle Scout

Last edited by GRT45; 06-08-2012 at 15:35..
GRT45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 15:52   #3
txgunguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRT45 View Post
Perhaps the one round was slightly out of spec with an over-sized case. For a new gun test or before a competition, some shooters will remove the barrel and drop in every cartridge from the ammo box for a barrel check. It should drop in freely, all the way, and drop out freely when the barrel is inverted.
I'm thinking the round may not have had a full charge. It did not have the recoil the other rounds did. The extractor had a grip on the case, so I think the only way that round didn't extract was that it short stroked or the case was out of spec. All other rounds fed fine. Federal 10mm, Underwood 165gr gold dot, 180gr gold dot, and the 180gr tmj. This one round was the only one that did it. The case didn't seem to be out of spec so I'm leaning toward a bad charge.
Old 06-08-2012, 16:56   #4
bac1023

Congrats on the G20.

bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 17:19   #5
txgunguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Congrats on the G20.
Thanks but I'm not really happy about the fte lol
Old 06-08-2012, 18:16   #6
TDC20

Sounds like a very unusual squib load to me, since you noticed a marked difference in recoil, too. You should always clear the gun, field strip, and check to make sure the barrel is not obstructed when this happens before continuing to shoot.

I would note this as most likely being a one-off anomaly and continue on with my break-in. If you don't have any more problems in the next 200-300 rds, then I'd say it was just an under-charged load and not worry about it. It might be best to try running a couple hundred rounds of some other type of ammo to be sure it's not a bad ammo lot causing the problem, as there could be more than one in there.

Congratulations on the new G20SF!
Old 06-08-2012, 18:55   #7
txgunguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC20 View Post
Sounds like a very unusual squib load to me, since you noticed a marked difference in recoil, too. You should always clear the gun, field strip, and check to make sure the barrel is not obstructed when this happens before continuing to shoot.

I would note this as most likely being a one-off anomaly and continue on with my break-in. If you don't have any more problems in the next 200-300 rds, then I'd say it was just an under-charged load and not worry about it. It might be best to try running a couple hundred rounds of some other type of ammo to be sure it's not a bad ammo lot causing the problem, as there could be more than one in there.

Congratulations on the new G20SF!
I did some digging and a member on the smith & wesson forum had this same thing happen with Underwood ammo. The members there seem to think the extractor slipped off the case due to the early unlocking of the gun. He explained it as the case has not finished expanding and is stuck to the chamber wall while the slide begins to move back.

I really think this is exactly what happened because I have a perfect brass marking on the OUTSIDE of the extractor. The only way that would have got there was if it came off the round because I never drop a round in the chamber.

So the case was in the chamber, the extractor slipped off, no new round was chambered, and the extractor was slammed back onto the original case in the chamber.

The guy on the S&W forum said he got a heavier recoil spring and it fixed his issues. I planned to do this anyway. It doesn't make sense to me to have the same recoil spring weight for a 9mm and full power 10mm. Evidently this can happen with hot 10mm ammo, which Underwood definitely is.
Old 06-08-2012, 19:30   #8
4949shooter

I am going to try this on my 20SF as well. What weight are you going with? I am thinking a 20 pound spring weight.
Old 06-08-2012, 19:50   #9
txgunguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4949shooter View Post
I am going to try this on my 20SF as well. What weight are you going with? I am thinking a 20 pound spring weight.
Did you have an FTE as well? I see alot of people recommending 22# springs. I may get a that for these hot Underwood loads.
Old 06-08-2012, 20:14   #10
SPIN2010
Searching ...

Picture of the case maybe? Sounds like the slide was not imparted enough energy from the round to even get past the case length ... put the empty case right back in the chamber (i.e. light charge).

Last edited by SPIN2010; 06-08-2012 at 20:15..
SPIN2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 21:16   #11
4949shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgunguy View Post
Did you have an FTE as well? I see alot of people recommending 22# springs. I may get a that for these hot Underwood loads.
I had a few failure to extracts.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:00   #12
Ethereal Killer

Dude!! you are overthinking this. it sounds really simple to me. most likely a dud round.

In ANY event a new gun will take a bit of shooting to get all the parts settled in and smoothed out a bit before it will run a peak efficiency. IME at least 200 rounds of good ammo thru most guns will do the trick.

personally I wont give a gun the holy trinity of awesome good to go-ness until around 500-1000 rounds and I will do what I can to induce failures so I can see where it's limits are. a man needs to know his weapon if he is gonna count on it for anything other than just playing.
Ethereal Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:04   #13
TKM
Lifetime Membership
Shiny Member

If a full power 10 load can push 700 fpe I'm sure it can make it's way out of the chamber.

Something else is wrong.
TKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:01   #14
txgunguy

Killer,
I understand breaking in a new gun, but I've never had to break in a glock before. I'm going to get a heavier recoil spring and go to the range again next week. If it doesn't happen again, I'm going to attribute it to a bad round.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:04   #15
txgunguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIN2010 View Post
Picture of the case maybe? Sounds like the slide was not imparted enough energy from the round to even get past the case length ... put the empty case right back in the chamber (i.e. light charge).
This is what I thought at first. The case looks normal. The round went off but didnt recoil like normal. It was definitely loud so it was not a squib. Possibly not enough charge to cycle the slide.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:27   #16
4949shooter

Last night the SS recoil springs were on sale at glockmeister for $20. I log on this morning, and they are back to $24.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:45   #17
tyr0981

just my .02, i tried a heavier spring (a 19lb with a steel guide rod) because i was using Underwood 200 Grain, and it instantly ruined my reliability, Fail to loads mostly, Failed to ejects, stove piped a few, that was just the first 10rnds! i put the OEM plastic/15lb spring back in, and it was FLAWLESSLY functional!

I'm on the side of you may be overlooking this way too deeply, even brand new manufactures produce the occasional lemon, and i think you got 1.... before spending 40$ on another spring/rod, dump a couple more boxes down range (maybe some mood stabilizers too) and go from their my man.

Last edited by tyr0981; 06-09-2012 at 06:46..
tyr0981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:16   #18
txgunguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyr0981 View Post
just my .02, i tried a heavier spring (a 19lb with a steel guide rod) because i was using Underwood 200 Grain, and it instantly ruined my reliability, Fail to loads mostly, Failed to ejects, stove piped a few, that was just the first 10rnds! i put the OEM plastic/15lb spring back in, and it was FLAWLESSLY functional!

I'm on the side of you may be overlooking this way too deeply, even brand new manufactures produce the occasional lemon, and i think you got 1.... before spending 40$ on another spring/rod, dump a couple more boxes down range (maybe some mood stabilizers too) and go from their my man.
Thats very strange. Everything I've read, 10mm guys swear by using heavier recoil springs.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:20   #19
dpadams6

Quote:
Killer,
I understand breaking in a new gun, but I've never had to break in a glock before. I'm going to get a heavier recoil spring and go to the range again next week. If it doesn't happen again, I'm going to attribute it to a bad round.
Typically in the 10mm glocks, NOTHING is gonna be as reliable as the stock rsa.
dpadams6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:45   #20
Ethereal Killer

Quote:
Thats very strange. Everything I've read, 10mm guys swear by using heavier recoil springs.
In this case I am stumped why you would think that making it MORE difficult to extract or SLOWING the extraction down would be a solution to a failure to extract?

Heavier springs are used to increase the time it takes to extract and eject the case when very heavy loads are used. the main drawback to using a lighter spring is that the frame gets battered when you are using loads over SAAMI spec pressures consistently.

Factory recoil spring and guide actually have a lot of advantages IMO, so unless you are flinging brass into the next county or seeing the frame get damaged at the front contact area, then the spring is NOT your issue.
Ethereal Killer is offline   Reply With Quote