SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-09-2012, 20:39   #1
glock2740
Gun lover.

Tell me about Ion Bond

I'm a hardchrome guy (duh), and I like Melonite as well, but I don't know much about Ion Bond. What are it's pros and cons?
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 20:42   #2
TheExplorer

Wiki...

An ionic bond is a type of chemical bond formed through an electrostatic attraction between two oppositely charged ions. Ionic bonds are formed between a cation, which is usually a metal, and an anion, which is usually a nonmetal. Pure ionic bonding cannot exist: all ionic compounds have some degree of covalent bonding. Thus, an ionic bond is considered a bond where the ionic character is greater than the covalent character. The larger the difference in electronegativity between the two atoms involved in the bond, the more ionic (polar) the bond is. Bonds with partially ionic and partially covalent character are called polar covalent bonds. Ionic bonding is a form of noncovalent bonding.
Ionic compounds conduct electricity when molten or in solution, but not as a solid. They generally have a high melting point and tend to be soluble in water.
TheExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 22:16   #3
glock2740
Gun lover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExplorer View Post
Wiki...

An ionic bond is a type of chemical bond formed through an electrostatic attraction between two oppositely charged ions. Ionic bonds are formed between a cation, which is usually a metal, and an anion, which is usually a nonmetal. Pure ionic bonding cannot exist: all ionic compounds have some degree of covalent bonding. Thus, an ionic bond is considered a bond where the ionic character is greater than the covalent character. The larger the difference in electronegativity between the two atoms involved in the bond, the more ionic (polar) the bond is. Bonds with partially ionic and partially covalent character are called polar covalent bonds. Ionic bonding is a form of noncovalent bonding.
Ionic compounds conduct electricity when molten or in solution, but not as a solid. They generally have a high melting point and tend to be soluble in water.
That's nice and all, but how does Ion Bond stand up to the real world?
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:56   #4
CanIhaveGasCash

I have two 1911's that have been coated with ion-bond. One I have been using as a duty gun for about a year. It shows absolutely no holster wear despite thousands of draws. The finish will chip in areas that a struck repeatedly. So far the only areas that have worn are parts of the hammer, firing pin block, and the edge of the magwell where my steel asp hits it.

The big drawbacks to the finish are the expense, and that is is pretty much permanent, so make sure you have the gun the way you like it before you have it coated.
CanIhaveGasCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 16:58   #5
HAIL CAESAR

I have it on guns. But I won't do it again. I MUCH prefer Melonite. Melonite is a tougher finish.
Old 06-10-2012, 22:42   #6
CanIhaveGasCash

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAIL CAESAR View Post
I have it on guns. But I won't do it again. I MUCH prefer Melonite. Melonite is a tougher finish.
I was rather disappointed in melonite. I didn't stand up to a suede lined holster very well and turned gray. Maybe I just got a bad egg.

Last edited by CanIhaveGasCash; 06-10-2012 at 22:42..
CanIhaveGasCash is offline   Reply With Quote