GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2012, 10:44   #1
Two Guns
VIP MEMBER
 
Two Guns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NH
Posts: 4,148
OK guys, Would you carry a G23 or G19

OK guys, What would you choose to carry a Glock 19 or Glock 23. Both carry the same and you shoot them about the same.The one difference is the caliber and the amount of ammo in the mags. Right now I have choose the G23 but the G19 is very tempting.
__________________
Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!
Two Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:49   #2
CATATOMIC
Senior Member
 
CATATOMIC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 795
I carry a G23 on duty because that's what I'm issued. I have a personally owned G19 that I like very much. Some might think I'm crazy but i think I actually like the G19 better.
CATATOMIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:53   #3
MikeG36
Senior Member
 
MikeG36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Have Gun Will Travel
Posts: 1,455
Hmmmm.... Let me think for a second......

General Glocking

G23!

General Glocking

I actually shoot the 9mm slightly better but, I like the punch of the .40 so that's what I'm wearing right now.
__________________
NRA Member
GSSF Member
Certified Glock Armorer
MikeG36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:25   #4
G36's Rule
Senior Member
 
G36's Rule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Spring, TX.
Posts: 14,879
My everyday carry G23...

General Glocking
G36's Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:25   #5
Cole125
Silver Membership
Senior Member
 
Cole125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Far West, USA
Posts: 7,581
No question I would carry a G19. More capacity, faster follow up shots, and I can shoot the gun very well.

With modern self defense ammo the difference between the 9mm and .40 is not very much.
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:40   #6
Bald Baron
Hermit
 
Bald Baron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Elkader, Iowa
Posts: 120
My light clothing carry is a G27 and my heavier clothing carry is a G19. I bought the G27 first, before I really researched the whole caliber war thing. Back then even the .40 seemed like a compromise because I was taught .45 ACP was the only logical choice for an auto-loader! Now I know better, and I'm getting old, so I like the 9mm more and more.

Plus what Cole 125 said.
__________________
It's good to have goals, it builds tolerance for disappointment.

Last edited by Bald Baron; 06-10-2012 at 11:42..
Bald Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:45   #7
twag4
Senior Member
 
twag4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Alabama
Posts: 411
If 13 shots of .40 don't get it done, neither will 15 of 9mm. Prolly need to practice more. Just sayin!
__________________
Don't retreat...reload
twag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:50   #8
AK74play
Senior Member
 
AK74play's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,617
I carry both, one at a time of course and really have no preferrance. I own and carry 18 different Glocks and the only preferrance I have would be toward 357 sig. Which to me is by far the superior cartridge.
__________________
NRA Life Member at Patron level - NRA Golden Eagle. Be a part of the cure or you are a part of the problem.
AK74play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:50   #9
4-Fun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 192
I think that the finest fighting pistol made is the G19.

This is a completely biased and unscientific statement. I offer no supporting documentation other than my personal preference.
4-Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:59   #10
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member
 
Glockdude1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Beaumont,Texas
Posts: 26,613


My round of choice is the .40

I pick the G23.

__________________
"Some People Are Like Slinkies. They're Not Really Good For Anything, But They Bring a Smile To Your Face When Pushed Down The Stairs."
Glockdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:00   #11
CDW4ME
Senior Member
 
CDW4ME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,127
Bigger bullet, or more KE

I am slightly quicker with the 19 shooting timed pairs, but not enough to keep me from carrying the 23 (or 32).
__________________
No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!
CDW4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:04   #12
mrsurfboard
The Anti-Glock
 
mrsurfboard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,711
Not a fan of the 40, so my choice is the 9mm G19.
__________________
Sig P225/S&W 60, 66, M&P 45, M&P 9c, 1911SC/Glock G22 Gen4, G23 Gen4 & G36/Kimber Pro Tactical II/Ruger Mk II/H&K P30, 45c/Colt Defender
mrsurfboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:14   #13
PattonT
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 992
No difference but if you own a Glock already keep the calibers the same. If you own a xxxxxxx in 9 or 40 buy the Glock opposite, unless you ever plan to reload. if you live in a 10rd magazine state you might as well get the G23.
I own both, shoot them the same and notice just a slight bit more recoil on the 40's
__________________
Into Glocks and J frames
PattonT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:15   #14
FL Airedale
Dog Breath
 
FL Airedale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: In the sticks
Posts: 1,790
I carry a 23 just because I have more confidence in the .40 caliber round. There is a lot of evidence that a 9mm with +P+ is just as effective.
__________________
Life Member - NRA, GOA, Florida Carry, Inc.
I used to be a people person but people ruined that for me.
FL Airedale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:39   #15
ConcealedG23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The Evergreen State
Posts: 211
As my name implies, my choice is the G23. Some will disagree and site the need for a stock gun/parts but, with a G23 you can make a G19 and G32. With a G19, you can't. The G23 is so much more versatile.

Those that state advances in bullet design that make the 9mm much better than it has been in the past rarely appreciate that the .40 has enjoyed the same advancements. The 9mm to .40 disparity is still present.

D
ConcealedG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:53   #16
mrsurfboard
The Anti-Glock
 
mrsurfboard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattonT View Post
No difference but if you own a Glock already keep the calibers the same. If you own a xxxxxxx in 9 or 40 buy the Glock opposite, unless you ever plan to reload. if you live in a 10rd magazine state you might as well get the G23.
I disagree. You never want to have all your handguns in the same caliber. If for some reason that caliber become hard or impossible to get, you are pretty much SOL.
__________________
Sig P225/S&W 60, 66, M&P 45, M&P 9c, 1911SC/Glock G22 Gen4, G23 Gen4 & G36/Kimber Pro Tactical II/Ruger Mk II/H&K P30, 45c/Colt Defender
mrsurfboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 13:37   #17
PattonT
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsurfboard View Post
I disagree. You never want to have all your handguns in the same caliber. If for some reason that caliber become hard or impossible to get, you are pretty much SOL.
No, I agree but there's also tremendous advantage in having magazines exchange between the Glocks. I've got about 10 handguns in 4 calibers. I had 32acp, 38spl, and 9mm during the ammo shortages. Shelves at Walmart in TN were stocked with all the 40sw and 357 sig you could shoot in a lifetime.
__________________
Into Glocks and J frames
PattonT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 14:07   #18
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 87,193
I much prefer the G19.
__________________
.

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 14:21   #19
Bello
America/Italia
 
Bello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: East Coast
Posts: 2,206
.40 smith all the way
__________________
-Rob-
Bello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 14:31   #20
plouffedaddy
Senior Member
 
plouffedaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Carolina
Posts: 2,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
I am slightly quicker with the 19 shooting timed pairs,

Same here. I carry the 23 and 19 however. Here's how I decide---I go to the range with whichever gun, shoot it, clean it, then put it in my carry holster and carry that until I go shooting again.

General Glocking
To me they're both great SD options with good ammo.
__________________
Plouffedaddy's Youtube Channel
Certified Glock Armorer
plouffedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 14:32   #21
jmak
Junior Member
 
jmak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 10
23 because I do not have a 19.
jmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 14:38   #22
ZekerMan
ZekerMan
 
ZekerMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,411
G23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockdude1 View Post
My round of choice is the .40

I pick the G23.

My sentiments exactly^^^^^^plus I don't own a 9mm and won't until my now strong hands can't handle the violent recoil of the powerful .40 round.
__________________
NRA Life Member
ZekerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 14:38   #23
TxGlock9
2014 RACE TIME!
 
TxGlock9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: BMT, TX
Posts: 4,561
19. If given the option the 32.
__________________
My name is John
TxGlock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 14:39   #24
Drain You
NRA member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,832
19 is my preference.

The only thing .40 has going for it is that during a zombie invasion, any half eaten police officer you might stumble across would maybe have an extra Glock 22 mag on his belt you could grab.
Drain You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 14:42   #25
cowboy1964
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 14,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by twag4 View Post
If 13 shots of .40 don't get it done, neither will 15 of 9mm. Prolly need to practice more. Just sayin!
And if 13 rounds of 9mm don't get it done then neither will 13 rounds of .40 because you are obviously missing.

And since practice *is* so important you can shoot about 40% more with 9mm for the same cost as you could .40.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 06-10-2012 at 14:42..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:26.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 892
311 Members
581 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42