Ruble Noon
"Cracker"

North Dakota voters to decide on abolishing property tax

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...tax/55533784/1
Ruble Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 13:26   #2
JBnTX
None

The article doesn't tell you that these are rich, very rich people who are smart enough to realize that once their oil boom vanishes they'll be hit with a property tax anyway, or lose community benefits like parks, schools, roads, sewer and trash services.

Nobody likes the property tax, but nobody wants to go without community services either.

If you want a school for your kids, want your trash picked up, want to drive on pothole free roads and drink clean water, then pay the tax.

But property taxes are too high, especially in Texas.

Last edited by JBnTX; 06-12-2012 at 13:31..
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 13:37   #3
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
The article doesn't tell you that these are rich, very rich people who are smart enough to realize that once their oil boom vanishes they'll be hit with a property tax anyway, or lose community benefits like parks, schools, roads, sewer and trash services.

Nobody likes the property tax, but nobody wants to go without community services either.

If you want a school for your kids, want your trash picked up, want to drive on pothole free roads and drink clean water, then pay the tax.

But property taxes are too high, especially in Texas.
If we had any private schools I would send my son to one, I pay for my trash service, my roads are full of washboards, I get my water from a well and from what I have seen our property taxes are higher than comparable properties in Texas.
Old 06-12-2012, 13:53   #4
cowboy1964

So every person in N. Dakota is "very rich"?
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 17:03   #5
G17Jake

I know people up there and have asked several about it and none of them thought it was a good idea.

How would you fund local schools without taxing the people in the school district? If state funds are used to fund schools and other local expenses, how do the cities and school districts make a budget? Would they have to ask the state for permission to build a new school building? Just asking....

If they have these things worked out, good for them. Not paying property tax would be great. I would have bought a larger house if that were the case.
G17Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 17:05   #6
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

I had heard on the radio the other day that the measure is not expected to pass.

Any poll results?
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 20:03   #7
BassCatcher

If this ever appeared on a ballot here I would vote for it in a heartbeat.

Our community just built a brand spanking new high school. Three gyms, two large parking lots and a pool. The football stadium would put some colleges to shame. Note that this is a rural area. There was nothing wrong with the old school whatsoever. I might also add that attendance for this school has declined each year since it was built.
Old 06-12-2012, 20:06   #8
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassCatcher View Post

Our community just built a brand spanking new high school. Three gyms, two large parking lots and a pool. The football stadium would put some colleges to shame. Note that this is a rural area. There was nothing wrong with the old school whatsoever. I might also add that attendance for this school has declined each year since it was built.
I have noticed this trend too. The teachers, and their masters, the PRINCIPLES deserve a place to work on par with Notre Dam. They are the best, and they deserve to work in eye pleasing surroundings.

No kidding, I've been in high schools in the Dallas area that reminded me of palaces that I visited in Europe.
Old 06-12-2012, 20:07   #9
callihan_44
INFIDEL

made a trip to protest my property taxes, housing market down taxes go up? fortunately they agreed to cut me some slack...the joys of renting from government
callihan_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 20:16   #10
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassCatcher View Post

What's the deal with all the damn parking lots? One school district passed a bond issue and they covered their playgrounds with concrete and remodeled all their buildings then they excused the kids on friday's at noon because they didn't have enough money to keep the kids in class.

Now my school district passed a bond issue and they want to build more parking lots, even at the elementary schools. Are elementary school kids driving their own cars to school nowadays?
Old 06-12-2012, 20:25   #11
Fed Five Oh
NRA Member

Letting the people decide what best for them instead of a politician. Whoever would of thunk our freedom lovers would have a problem with that?
Fed Five Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 20:28   #12
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed Five Oh View Post
Letting the people decide what best for them instead of a politician. Whoever would of thunk our freedom lovers would have a problem with that?
I don't think JB qualifies as a freedom lover.
Old 06-12-2012, 21:31   #13
Fed Five Oh
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruble Noon View Post
I don't think JB qualifies as a freedom lover.
I didn't see where he had a problem with people deciding for themselves. Maybe I missed it. Show me.
Fed Five Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 22:00   #14
JBnTX
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed Five Oh View Post

I didn't see where he had a problem with people deciding for themselves. Maybe I missed it. Show me.
What he means to say is that since I'm not a Ron Paul supporter, I'm forever tarnished in his mind as a constitution hating, statist neocon who wouldn't know true freedom and liberty if someone shoved a bucket load of it up my ass.

Last edited by JBnTX; 06-12-2012 at 23:33..
Old 06-12-2012, 22:59   #15
Chronos

People are slowly waking up to the unpleasant reality that they don't and can't own property -- they can only rent it from the government. As long as you have a decent income stream it doesn't seem such a threat, but without it you can literally lose your house to the government. This measure may not pass the first time it comes up for a vote, but the liberty movement is still in its infancy.

As for "teh schools," the whole concept is an incredible racket now that any kid can access all the knowledge in the world along with detailed lesson plans and computerized courses for free -- especially when you look at the product the government is delivering in return for being your permanent, lifelong landlord.
If you've already accepted that "violence against the innocent" is a morally legitimate means of funding the government, who are you to complain when the majority apprporiates your legacy and sells your children into a lifetime of debt slavery?
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 23:09   #16
Chronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
I have noticed this trend too. The teachers, and their masters, the PRINCIPLES deserve a place to work on par with Notre Dam. They are the best, and they deserve to work in eye pleasing surroundings.
Yeah, it hasn't been about the kids for quite a while now -- but only recently has it become so transparently obvious and brazen about being a guaranteed government job program for the most useless college degrees.
If you've already accepted that "violence against the innocent" is a morally legitimate means of funding the government, who are you to complain when the majority apprporiates your legacy and sells your children into a lifetime of debt slavery?
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:13   #17
callihan_44
INFIDEL

People are slowly waking up to the unpleasant reality that they don't and can't own property -- they can only rent it from the government.

True indeed, I know someone who was trying to stay afloat after losing a job in this **** economy and pushed off paying a $1500.00 prop tax bill. He almost lost it but came up with the money, now he's selling the house.
callihan_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:34   #18
BassCatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruble Noon View Post
What's the deal with all the damn parking lots? One school district passed a bond issue and they covered their playgrounds with concrete and remodeled all their buildings then they excused the kids on friday's at noon because they didn't have enough money to keep the kids in class.

Now my school district passed a bond issue and they want to build more parking lots, even at the elementary schools. Are elementary school kids driving their own cars to school nowadays?
I can't explain the parking lot thing except to say that it seems most kids are driving nowadays. Two huge lots which could easily accommodate several hundred cars. I wonder, have they ever considered charging the students for the privilege of driving to school?

Nah.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:40   #19
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

http://money.cnn.com/2012/06/13/pf/n...-property-tax/

So much for that.

Last edited by Cavalry Doc; 06-13-2012 at 10:10..
Old 06-13-2012, 07:08   #20
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Any time the people end a tax is a good thing.
certifiedfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:31   #21
JBnTX
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post

Any time the people end a tax is a good thing.

That's true of most taxes, but some taxes serve a purpose.

Like the property tax, which provides for schools, garbage collection and paved roads.

You just have to decide where your priorities are.

The people of North Dakota made the right decision.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:05   #22
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
That's true of most taxes, but some taxes serve a purpose.

Like the property tax, which provides for schools, garbage collection and paved roads.

You just have to decide where your priorities are.

It is about principles, JB. You wouldn't understand.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:06   #23
HarlDane

Quote:
Right or wrong, agree or disagree, the important part is that the people of ND made the choice for themselves, based on their own priorities.

IMO, I'd rather pay a state tax than a federal tax and I'd rather pay a local tax than a state tax.

Last edited by HarlDane; 06-13-2012 at 10:18..
HarlDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:08   #24
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlDane View Post

IMO, I'd rather pay a state tax than a federal tax and I'd rather pay a local tax than a state tax.
Agreed 100%
Old 06-13-2012, 13:26   #25
JBnTX
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post

It is about principles, JB. You wouldn't understand.

I guess the people of North Dakota don't understand either?

Looks like you're all alone with those so called principles.