SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-13-2012, 22:04   #1
Bolster
Not Ready Yet!

Haircuts.

OK, only marginally related to S/P because you can always live without a haircut. But if we're going to rebuild civilization, then haircuts will be part of the formula--unless you're fortunate enough to be bald, then you don't have to worry, you'll always look cool!

I highly recommend the Flowbee. I make a little checkmark on the box each time I use it, and with a quick calculation, I see that not only have I paid for the Flowbee in savings, but I'm saved back an additional $350 in haircuts so far!

But even better than that...it takes me 10 minutes from the time I think "I need a haircut" to the time I'm done. No driving to the barber. No gay guy rubbing up against me as he cuts my hair (happened once...I got up and left with my haircut half done!) No tipping. No waiting in line. Just hook up and go.

Mrs. Bolster swears she can't tell a difference between me cutting my own, and the stylist doing it.

Cool thing is, if you use it every 3-4 weeks, it looks like you never get a haircut...always looks the same.

OK, go ahead and mock. I love this sucker. I'll be stylin' long after TEOTWAWKI. Trying to figure out how to run it on 12v. I'll be giving solar haircuts after the grid goes down.

Last edited by Bolster; 06-13-2012 at 22:11..
Bolster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 22:52   #2
Nine Shooter
Average Guy

I cut my hair with storebought clippers I got for about $25-$35. I replace them about every two years or so, giving myself haircuts every 2-3 weeks on average. The key is finding some way to run it without power

I was paying about $15-$17 every two weeks for a haircut. That's nuts!

Last edited by Nine Shooter; 06-13-2012 at 22:52..
Nine Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 23:14   #3
RedHaze
Handgunner

It works for first graders everywhere... it'll do come TEOTWAWKI.

Survival/Preparedness Forum
Old 06-14-2012, 00:17   #4
Snaps
Hail 2 The King

i have a pair of clippers from walmart. Shave the hair off weekly at the very longest. No guard, but buzz it
Old 06-14-2012, 05:49   #5
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

I share my clippers with my dogs, they're nice clippers, and I use a number 2 guide every Friday morning. TEOTWAWKI won't change much for me.

I also have a couple of pairs that run on regular AA batteries that I use when we travel and I would use those if the power goes out.

When we were on our honeymoon (on a motorcycle for 3 weeks) i found a barber shop on Friday to cut my hair. My wife had some serious doubts about what she had gotten herself into and said so but that's how I like it!

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
UneasyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:41   #6
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Shooter View Post
I cut my hair with storebought clippers I got for about $25-$35. I replace them about every two years or so, giving myself haircuts every 2-3 weeks on average. The key is finding some way to run it without power

I was paying about $15-$17 every two weeks for a haircut. That's nuts!

And I thought I was the only lunatic doing this.

Last year I found myself waiting over an hour at a neighborhood Supercuts, just to get the same short clipper haircut I always get. I just stood up and said, "F it." I went to a drugstore, and bought a mid priced Wahl clipper set.

My wife was freakin out, but ironically the first time I cut my own hair, it came out great. I clipped my hair a few times since. I never screwed up bad yet, just occasionally some minor issue with doing the back of my head.

You do get a weird sense of pride after cutting your own hair.

Last edited by Bilbo Bagins; 06-14-2012 at 07:41..
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:38   #7
quake

My wife's been cutting our boys' hair since they were small, using electric clippers with various-length guards. Don't recall for sure, but I think they're Wahl brand. I usually get mine cut at a local small barber shop mainly because I can drop in when it's convenient for me & he's been doing it for quite a while. But no reason she couldn't do it if need be; she's done it plenty of times on the kids.

Now, getting HER hair cut; she might let a neighbor lady do it in a pinch, but I suspect she'd never let me do it.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:52   #8
Bolster
Not Ready Yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHaze View Post
It works for first graders everywhere... it'll do come TEOTWAWKI.
Word is that Socrates did all of his own haircutting with a sword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
Now, getting HER hair cut; she might let a neighbor lady do it in a pinch, but I suspect she'd never let me do it.
That's why you need to do it while she's sleeping. Practice now!!

Last edited by Bolster; 06-14-2012 at 08:53..
Old 06-14-2012, 10:02   #9
Lone Kimono

Going bald so this won't be a problem much longer for me. I would suggest everyone invest in a straight razor for shaving though.
Lone Kimono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:04   #10
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolster View Post
That's why you need to do it while she's sleeping. Practice now!!
Let if know if there are any good guns in the divorce sale!

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
Old 06-14-2012, 10:21   #11
Bushflyr
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ

#2 Buzz. I think I've had 2 barber shop haircuts in my life. My mom did it when I was little and now I diy. A piece of nylon wrapped around the neck and I always get a nice clean edge.

That which does not kill you has made a tactical error. --Tayler
Bushflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 17:06   #12
Stevekozak
Returning video

Are there not any long-hair hippies in this prepper forum? I keep mine short as well. Not as short as a lot of you, apparently, but pretty short. I have only cut my own hair once, and that time i buzzed it off.
Old 06-14-2012, 17:46   #13
the Hudge

Hair cuts?
Yes I am working on the long hair hippie thing as its been well over a year since my last hair cut. Scissors will not touch my head again. To many years wearing a monkey suit, and SOP's dictating my grooming procedures.
the Hudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 17:57   #14
Walk Soft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
i have a pair of clippers from walmart. Shave the hair off weekly at the very longest. No guard, but buzz it
Same here.I'm 34 and have only once paid for a haircut.
Old barber with a staight razor shaved my head and face.
Walk Soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 18:06   #15
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk Soft View Post
Same here.I'm 34 and have only once paid for a haircut.
Old barber with a staight razor shaved my head and face.
My Mom cut my hair right through college then I was getting clipper cuts. I wore hair in my early 40's and paid to have it cut then one day I went into some place in the mall for a haircut and made the mistake of answering "No" to the question "Do you want anyone in particular to cut your hair?" Well I ended up with some flaming gay guy and yes I am a homophobe, so I decided that the dogs clippers would work just fine on me too and I zipped it off. I have never felt better!

Old 06-15-2012, 05:41   #16
quake

Quote:
...That's why you need to do it while she's sleeping. Practice now!!
Not likely. I've got to sleep some time too, and no telling what she might decide to start trimming.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:21   #17
shotgunred
reloading nut

You may think your hair looks fine with a guard cut. But it easy to spot one. But if that is good enough for you then it is. Personally I get mine done every other week by a professional.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:27   #18
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunred View Post
You may think your hair looks fine with a guard cut. But it easy to spot one. But if that is good enough for you then it is. Personally I get mine done every other week by a professional.
I ask my wife if it looks ok to her and she says yes, me... I don't care, I like it. I have a friend with hair who uses a flowbee and you can't tell that it's not a professional cut.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:51   #19
Bolster
Not Ready Yet!

The Flowbee sucks the hair away from your head and then cuts it at various lengths. I use three different length guards for my haircuts, a longish one on top, a shortish one on the sides and back, and a tapered one for the edges around the ears and back of neck.

So you don't get the impression it's a simple "bowl cut" or an all-the-same-length cut. The Flowbee more-or-less duplicates what the gay guy cutting your hair is doing, but without the ardent liberalism, hollywood gossip, or sarcasm.

Last edited by Bolster; 06-15-2012 at 07:53..
Old 06-15-2012, 08:34   #20
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Quote:
The Flowbee sucks the hair away from your head and then cuts it at various lengths. I use three different length guards for my haircuts, a longish one on top, a shortish one on the sides and back, and a tapered one for the edges around the ears and back of neck.

So you don't get the impression it's a simple "bowl cut" or an all-the-same-length cut. The Flowbee more-or-less duplicates what the gay guy cutting your hair is doing, but without the ardent liberalism, hollywood gossip, or sarcasm.
The roar of a shopvac or that?

I would take the shopvac.
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote

« Vests! | Headlamps »