GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 07:24   #1
okie
GT Mayor
 
okie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Muskogee Ok.
Posts: 129,520


2012 wheat harvest.

Has the wheat harvest begun in your area? We should be winding down here in Oklahoma, I'm not sure how everything went, one farmer got 30-40 bushels per acre, if that's dry land that's not to bad, if it's irrigated it's pretty crappy. Over all I think this years harvest is looking a lot better than last year, which will make the farmers happy as hell
__________________
Don't dial 911, dial 1911
If you don't stand behind our troops, PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them!
Schiit audio, everything else ain't.
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:58   #2
elsolo
Senior Member
 
elsolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: socal
Posts: 12,327
I remember when I first started working in big commercial bakeries fixing their equipment, the price of flour tripled in my first month on the job. Glad to hear wheat is more affordable this year.
elsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:25   #3
blackjack
Senior Member
 
blackjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Sand Springs OK
Posts: 2,365
Okie, I travelled to my farm near Ellsworth KS over Memorial Day weekend. In normal years, it is typically being cut right about now. This year, however, I saw one farmer beginning to cut his place just outside of town. I also observed multiple combine operations going full tilt throughout southern KS along I-35 and I-135. When I got out to my place, I was amazed at how ripe it was and estimated it probably would be ready to cut within 10 days or less. I haven't checked with my farmer but unless some weather held them up, I bet most of the places around there have already been cut. It also looked like the yield would be pretty good.
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 13:32   #4
okie
GT Mayor
 
okie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Muskogee Ok.
Posts: 129,520


Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack View Post
Okie, I travelled to my farm near Ellsworth KS over Memorial Day weekend. In normal years, it is typically being cut right about now. This year, however, I saw one farmer beginning to cut his place just outside of town. I also observed multiple combine operations going full tilt throughout southern KS along I-35 and I-135. When I got out to my place, I was amazed at how ripe it was and estimated it probably would be ready to cut within 10 days or less. I haven't checked with my farmer but unless some weather held them up, I bet most of the places around there have already been cut. It also looked like the yield would be pretty good.
I hope you get a good yield my friend
__________________
Don't dial 911, dial 1911
If you don't stand behind our troops, PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them!
Schiit audio, everything else ain't.
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 17:41   #5
Magnus2131
Glock Gimp
 
Magnus2131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas
Posts: 11,794
I've seen some cutting going on here in Ellis county Okie. Love seeing them purdy fields.
__________________
Quote:
LW would have laughed that round off her chest.
Quote:
And then gone and stuffed the gun up the ass of the Hajji bastard that shot me!
"RIP Jeff (23Skidoo)" and our Silent_Runner. 129,520
Magnus2131 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 18:01   #6
Tow/Repo
CLM Number 225
Charter Lifetime Member
 
Tow/Repo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus2131 View Post
I've seen some cutting going on here in Ellis county Okie. Love seeing them purdy fields.
I'm two counties north of you. I would guess we're {farmers} about 65%done with wheat harvest.
Tow/Repo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 19:19   #7
farmer-dave
Senior Member
 
farmer-dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: central Kansas
Posts: 1,310
Harvest in central ks was better then expected for the drought. Seen pictures of harvest in western ks, looks horrible out there.
__________________
A man who has a stomach half full has lot's of problems. A man who's stomach is empty only has one.
farmer-dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 19:51   #8
vart
Senior Member
 
vart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Palouse, WA
Posts: 17,707


Bad, bad Spring; some farmers still haven't been able to plant due to the soil being too wet...

In Idaho, not here...
__________________
et conversum est retrorsum iudicium et iustitia longe stetit quia corruit in platea veritas et aequitas non potuit ingredi

Last edited by vart; 06-14-2012 at 19:51..
vart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:41   #9
okie
GT Mayor
 
okie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Muskogee Ok.
Posts: 129,520


Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer-dave View Post
Harvest in central ks was better then expected for the drought. Seen pictures of harvest in western ks, looks horrible out there.
I'm happy for the central KS folk, it sucks for the Western KS folk
__________________
Don't dial 911, dial 1911
If you don't stand behind our troops, PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them!
Schiit audio, everything else ain't.
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:42   #10
okie
GT Mayor
 
okie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Muskogee Ok.
Posts: 129,520


Quote:
Originally Posted by vart View Post
Bad, bad Spring; some farmers still haven't been able to plant due to the soil being too wet...

In Idaho, not here...
Oh damn, that sucks bad, Travis
__________________
Don't dial 911, dial 1911
If you don't stand behind our troops, PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them!
Schiit audio, everything else ain't.
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:42   #11
Inyo Tim
Senior Moment
 
Inyo Tim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Eastern Sierra Nevada, Calif.
Posts: 2,308


I remember my summers on wheat harvest as a teen. Driving a grain truck paid $10 a day and running a combine earned you $12. Some of those days were 16+ hours. The ability to function on little sleep served me well later in the service.
Inyo Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:56   #12
okie
GT Mayor
 
okie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Muskogee Ok.
Posts: 129,520


Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyo Tim View Post
I remember my summers on wheat harvest as a teen. Driving a grain truck paid $10 a day and running a combine earned you $12. Some of those days were 16+ hours. The ability to function on little sleep served me well later in the service.
My brother did that for a couple summers
__________________
Don't dial 911, dial 1911
If you don't stand behind our troops, PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them!
Schiit audio, everything else ain't.

Last edited by okie; 06-15-2012 at 09:08..
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:00   #13
GreenDrake
Rip Lips
 
GreenDrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 7,806
Been a great year this year in the Central Washington area.
__________________
"Can you FLY, Bobby?"
P229 EDC
GreenDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:15   #14
blackjack
Senior Member
 
blackjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Sand Springs OK
Posts: 2,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie View Post
I hope you get a good yield my friend
I got my statement from the co-op yesterday. Yielded 30.5 bushels/acre, right around what it usually gets - I was kind of hoping for a little better but I'm not disappointed. The first load went to the elevator on 5/28, two days after I was up there and about 2-3 weeks earlier than usual.
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:17   #15
mymini40
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: battle creek,michigan
Posts: 3,393
Good luck with that, my friend.
mymini40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:17   #16
Rancher
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: SW Missouri
Posts: 1,367
When I was a kid I remember the beautiful golden wheat and harvest time. Now it is this genetically modifed brown stuff that is half the height of what it once was. My family still farms about 7K acres in NE Oklahoma and SE Kansas.

The equipment now used to beyond cool as it is so efficient. Tractors with GPS systems for planting. No more un-even rows, they almost drive themself except for the turn at the end of the row. On board computers used to track each acre of each field to determine exactly how many busshels each acre yields.

I'm really hoping for a bumper corn harvest. It may get feed prices down for us ranchers but we have learned once things go up seldom do they go back down.

I miss the old days! I don't miss the work of harvest, it was rewarding but long, hot, and stressful. Not so much for me as a kid but it rubbed off from the family. However once it was in the sigh of relief was an awesome feeling.

Rancher
Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:47   #17
okie
GT Mayor
 
okie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Muskogee Ok.
Posts: 129,520


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancher View Post
When I was a kid I remember the beautiful golden wheat and harvest time. Now it is this genetically modifed brown stuff that is half the height of what it once was. My family still farms about 7K acres in NE Oklahoma and SE Kansas. Rancher
Damn, we had 960 acres and I thought we had a big farm. Guess not
__________________
Don't dial 911, dial 1911
If you don't stand behind our troops, PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them!
Schiit audio, everything else ain't.
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:47   #18
tmerritt530
Senior Member
 
tmerritt530's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 105
My uncles' wheat yielded quite well this year in sumner co.

Several fields were high 50 Bu. per acre and test weights were 63's

Had me running it to the co-op in town much more often.

Last edited by tmerritt530; 06-15-2012 at 09:49..
tmerritt530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:48   #19
okie
GT Mayor
 
okie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Muskogee Ok.
Posts: 129,520


Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack View Post
I got my statement from the co-op yesterday. Yielded 30.5 bushels/acre, right around what it usually gets - I was kind of hoping for a little better but I'm not disappointed. The first load went to the elevator on 5/28, two days after I was up there and about 2-3 weeks earlier than usual.
That's not too bad at all my friend
__________________
Don't dial 911, dial 1911
If you don't stand behind our troops, PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them!
Schiit audio, everything else ain't.
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:50   #20
okie
GT Mayor
 
okie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Muskogee Ok.
Posts: 129,520


Quote:
Originally Posted by tmerritt530 View Post
My uncles wheat yielded quite well this year in sumner co.

Several fields were high 50 Bu. per acre and test weights were 63's
Is that dry land or irrigated? If that dry land that's an awesome yield
__________________
Don't dial 911, dial 1911
If you don't stand behind our troops, PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them!
Schiit audio, everything else ain't.

Last edited by okie; 06-15-2012 at 09:50..
okie is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 17:47.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,086
356 Members
730 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31