Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 19:22   #1
glockbanger
Senior Member
 
glockbanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 821
30-06, 270 Range Advantage over 308?

How much further can 30-06 and 270 shoot than 308?
glockbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 19:33   #2
glock2740
Gun lover.
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NW Ark.
Posts: 18,914
Hell, let's add .280 to the mix too...




glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 19:48   #3
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
There is no difference in usable distance and bloody little in theoretical distance.

If you have to ask I would say that any of those shoot farther than you can hit.


edit to add: I didn't mean to sound snarky but I think responses will show that expreienced shooters don't really recognize a significant difference based on the headstamp on the brass of those rounds. "flat shooting" for instance is only really of value around the MBR the scope has been zeroed for. Beyond that it is the skill, and sportsmanship of the shooter. the setting of the MPBR for the loads and guns is not that significantly different either.

Last edited by countrygun; 06-25-2012 at 19:53..
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 19:48   #4
Decguns
Senior Member
 
Decguns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NC
Posts: 2,540
Way too many variables in question for such a generic question. Are we talking about maximum effective range, maximum range, or what? What weapon? A short barreled rifle may actually shoot 308 faster than 30-06 or 270. A longer barrel may actually give a huge advantage to the 30-06 & 270.

With about 100fps average advantage for the 30-06 or 270 in sporting ammo, there's really no difference in effective range. The 270 Win, with the classic 130gr projectile, just shoots flatter than the 30 cals. Hence its popularity for the past century. The 30-06 and 308 are pretty much even until you get into the heavy 180+ projo's where the 30-06 can take advantage of its larger case capacity.
__________________
Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet
Decguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 20:11   #5
glockbanger
Senior Member
 
glockbanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decguns View Post
A short barreled rifle may actually shoot 308 faster than 30-06 or 270. A longer barrel may actually give a huge advantage to the 30-06 & 270.
I'm talking same rifle, same barrel length 22" specifically.
glockbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 20:18   #6
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by glockbanger View Post
I'm talking same rifle, same barrel length 22" specifically.

But what do you mean by "Farther"??????

do you mean if they were set in a 45 degree fixture?

Do you mean to effectivley hunt and kill game???

All we've got so far is "How many numbers in math?"
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 21:27   #7
glockbanger
Senior Member
 
glockbanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 821
With their maximum effective bullet grain weight in each caliber respectively. I'm talking at a range that can be "shot at". There's little difference to me in what's considered "effective" and the cloudy distance somewhere beyond that where the bullet throws on it's reverse rockets becomes your cuddly buddy.

I'm less worried about maiming an animal than I am about said animal destroying property. I'm not going off on you guys in particular, but I hear a lot of talk about how "i would never consider shooting an animal at that range". My goodness, if you're worried about injuring an animal, you shouldn't hunt. No matter how good a hunter, sooner or later it will happen that you make a bad shot and leave an animal to suffer.

I guess the range I'm talking about it what can be done without terrible bullet drop.
glockbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 21:27   #8
Wyoming
Senior Member
 
Wyoming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Southwest Wyoming
Posts: 2,187
Send a message via Yahoo to Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by glockbanger View Post
How much further can 30-06 and 270 shoot than 308?
For practical purposes for the average hunter they are the same.

I am dumb founded when I go to the range before hunting season and watch shooters sight in the rifles. This is Wyoming, rifle country, few can shoot a group.

You need to be able to shoot a group some where some place before you even begin to adjust a scope.

If you can hunt and shoot you can use any three of the rounds listed in the lower 48 and never look back.

If you can't hunt or shoot what is the point?
__________________
Wyoming
Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 21:55   #9
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by glockbanger View Post
With their maximum effective bullet grain weight in each caliber respectively. I'm talking at a range that can be "shot at". There's little difference to me in what's considered "effective" and the cloudy distance somewhere beyond that where the bullet throws on it's reverse rockets becomes your cuddly buddy.

I'm less worried about maiming an animal than I am about said animal destroying property. I'm not going off on you guys in particular, but I hear a lot of talk about how "i would never consider shooting an animal at that range". My goodness, if you're worried about injuring an animal, you shouldn't hunt. No matter how good a hunter, sooner or later it will happen that you make a bad shot and leave an animal to suffer.

I guess the range I'm talking about it what can be done without terrible bullet drop.

Sorry Dude, you just got on the wrong side of me in several ways.

A hunter does everything he can to minimize the chances of a less than clean kill and that includes staying within his own capabilities and "*&^%" what the round is capable of.

If that is meaningless to you then don't expect advice from some of us on how to go about being a greenhorn wounding animals at silly distances.

The fact that you are asking this question reveals that you do not have a whole bunch of experience. It is a pretty basic thing that one picks up on quickly with that experience. This means that you do not have field experience which is not something you can "buy" with the right cartridge. Some of us have put years into hunting and shooting and I am willing to bet you could hand some around here just about any decent centerfire from a 30-30 on up and expect success. None of us just went out, bought a rifle and a scope and a box of ammo and just flopped down and started dropping game at ridiculous distances.

I don't think you stand a ghost of a chance at hitting anything if you had to ask a question in the manner you did, but I'll not help you wound anything all the same.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 22:06   #10
K.Kiser
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Shreveport, La.
Posts: 1,452
My Dad 's favorite hnting rifle to build is a .308 due to it's ease in supreme accuracy with some experience and crafty handloads... With that said he has built a ton of other stuff from the 6mm's to 375 cheytac and 416 remingtons, but he seems to always gravitate back to the ugly little .308... He regularly drops full grown wild hogs at 400+ yards and some considerably farther... Yes, the other calibers will do but the .308 still does it cleanly and a lot of this is due to his acute experience as to where the bullet will be at those distances...

I was asking him about this type hunting several years back... I asked "what's the difference out there in the 300 ultra mag and the .308 ?" and his response was "the recoil"... Essentially when you know where to hold and develop the talent to do so, the end result is the same...

Get back down to normal hunting distances, and the result between the three calibers mentioned will be only discernable during a campfire bravado session...
K.Kiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 22:07   #11
Berto
woo woo
 
Berto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: WA
Posts: 30,746


It works out to about <--------------------------> this much.
__________________
The West is the Best.
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 22:10   #12
K.Kiser
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Shreveport, La.
Posts: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto View Post
It works out to about <--------------------------> this much.
Thats about 2.5" on my monitor, but I was only prepared to accept 2.375"... Thanks for nothing...
K.Kiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 22:12   #13
Berto
woo woo
 
Berto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: WA
Posts: 30,746


Downsize the page and you're golden.
__________________
The West is the Best.
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 22:17   #14
glockbanger
Senior Member
 
glockbanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
Sorry Dude, you just got on the wrong side of me in several ways.

A hunter does everything he can to minimize the chances of a less than clean kill and that includes staying within his own capabilities and "*&^%" what the round is capable of.

If that is meaningless to you then don't expect advice from some of us on how to go about being a greenhorn wounding animals at silly distances.

The fact that you are asking this question reveals that you do not have a whole bunch of experience. It is a pretty basic thing that one picks up on quickly with that experience. This means that you do not have field experience which is not something you can "buy" with the right cartridge. Some of us have put years into hunting and shooting and I am willing to bet you could hand some around here just about any decent centerfire from a 30-30 on up and expect success. None of us just went out, bought a rifle and a scope and a box of ammo and just flopped down and started dropping game at ridiculous distances.

I don't think you stand a ghost of a chance at hitting anything if you had to ask a question in the manner you did, but I'll not help you wound anything all the same.
You'd not helped anything initially, didn't expect much. Odds are, I'm not going to be doing any extremely long range hunting, but if I see an animal on my farm that is going to cost me money, I'm going to shoot at it. My farm does not lend itself to many extreme range shots. I don't take pride in hunting, never "hunted" anything in my life, and I doubt I'll ever take pride in using a tool to take a defenseless animal's life. I spotlight legally to protect my farm from damage. It's fun, but not challenging, but then again, neither is what you might call "real hunting"
glockbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 22:42   #15
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan
 
faawrenchbndr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: east of East St. Louis
Posts: 34,780
You are over thinking this,........all three are great calibers.
All will get the job done. I prefer .308 Win of the three
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 22:46   #16
glockbanger
Senior Member
 
glockbanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
You are over thinking this,........all three are great calibers.
All will get the job done. I prefer .308 Win of the three
Tell me about it... It's my first rifle. I've had family guns before, but never one of my own.
glockbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 22:59   #17
glockbanger
Senior Member
 
glockbanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 821
Chuck Hawk's reports that a .270(.277) 150 grain has SD of .279, compared to a .308/30-06 180 grain with SD of .271. I think most of the shooting and hunting I will be doing will be with a 150 grain bullet. I really like shooting low recoil stuff and 180 is certainly a little much for me. May go up to 165 but I doubt beyond that. On a side note, the .308/30-06 200 and 220 grain bullets have very impressive SDs of .301 and .331.

Danny Reid pointed out to me that a 308/30-06 150 grain bullet has an SD of only .226.

In 150 grain bullets, this is a big diff in SD from .279 to only .226. So it seems the .270 is much better suited to shoot this particular bullet weight. I've heard that the .280 caliber also has some very favorable SD, but it's not something I'm considering.


I'm looking to buy either a 308, 30-06, or 270 in the same model rifle. And I plan on shooting bullets that won't kill me with recoil. It seems like it'll be a 308 shooting165g 2800fps SD .248 BC .435 or a 270 shooting 150g 2850fps .278 SD .481 BC. Which two bullets do you prefer here for knock down power? In this comparison, keep in mind that all three barrels come in 22".
This is where I got my info.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/sd.htm

Last edited by glockbanger; 06-25-2012 at 23:12..
glockbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:08   #18
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan
 
faawrenchbndr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: east of East St. Louis
Posts: 34,780
My choice is .308 Win........
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:41   #19
ithaca_deerslayer
Senior Member
 
ithaca_deerslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Upstate NY, USA
Posts: 20,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by glockbanger View Post
I spotlight legally to protect my farm from damage. It's fun, but not challenging, but then again, neither is what you might call "real hunting"
I find deer hunting extremely challenging. They come out at night, but I cannot legally hunt at night, nor use a spotlight.

When I don't have a permit to take does, I see plenty of doe. Don't see a lot of bucks except during archery season at 40 yards and my range is 30 yards. I've turned down more bad shots than I've ever taken.

Gun season gives me good odds on opening day, but if that buck decides to take a different trail, then the odds go way down the rest of the season. I've put in 4 hours at 10 degrees, sitting still, and only seen blue jays. Quality time for sure, but no deer.

I seen bucks tease me at 150 yards through woods, the slightest glimpse of white and movement close to dusk. That last 30 minutes spent peering through trees, rifle held up at the ready until arms ache, last light fast fading, antlers disappearing as the doe gives a solid look through trees.

I get the sense you don't have any respect for hunting. Even with pest control, I try to make humane one shot kills. The same ethic from rats to woodchucks to deer.

Anyway, if shooting small animals, a .204 Ruger is flat shooting with low recoil. Or if the occasional larger animal, try a .243. Again, low recoil. For economy and lots of target shooting, a .223 is a great choice. Those latter two with same trajectory as the .308 and .30-06 type rifles, and easier to learn to shoot because of the difference in recoil.
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:50   #20
stopatrain
Lifetime Membership
Senior Member
 
stopatrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,175
Yes .308
stopatrain is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:33.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 638
114 Members
524 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31