Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:05   #1
DScottHewitt
EMT-B

Send a message via AIM to DScottHewitt Send a message via Yahoo to DScottHewitt
Got a question........

Several people have posted very recently that Open Carry makes the Open Carrier a target for the bad guys to shoot him/her first.

It is stated as a fact, seems like. BUT, how about some documentation to back up the claim? If it is true, it should be possible for the people claiming it to prove it......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DScottHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:32   #2
USCgrad

i think they are stating the obvious, i mean when i scan a room whether eating out or at the park i naturally zero in on the guy with the gun. So to me, it's probably likely that criminals do the same, don't need to back it up with statics<--oops "statistics", if its everyone's natural inclination to do so....

Last edited by USCgrad; 06-26-2012 at 12:39..
USCgrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:34   #3
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

Do you really need stats, scottie? Or are you just stirring that pot?
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
concretefuzzynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 13:51   #4
RussP

Remember, there has been a case right here in Richmond, Virginia where two bad guys followed an open carrier into a BP Convenience store, grabbed his gun and in the ensuing struggle shot the OCer.

Will it happen again? Eventually, yes, it will happen again. It is just a matter of time and opportunity. Will it become a frequent occurrence? I don't know.

Who volunteers to be next? Perhaps everyone open carrying does every time they do so. They just haven't found a taker yet.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921

Last edited by RussP; 06-26-2012 at 13:55..
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 14:05   #5
Patchman
Florist

OCing is fairly new, still fairly novel. In any given 24-hour period, in this country, how many people really OC?

Kind of like asking, in any 24-hour period, how many people leave their cars unlocked, or their house unlocked, and no one enters and steals things?

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.

Last edited by Patchman; 06-26-2012 at 14:05..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 14:35   #6
wjv

Other than the case that RussP mentioned, I don't know if there is any sort of trend that could be observed statistically.

I have OC'd a few times, but that was in a National Forest where it was legal to do so, and at the time Colorado did NOT have a CCW permit.

I have no problem with people OC'ing if they choose to do so (where it's legal to do so). I personally prefer concealed carry because it offers more options.

If you are OC'ing in a business, and a robbery goes down, you might be forced into taking some sort of action that you didn't want to take.

If you are carrying concealed, you have the choice as to if you wish to get involved, to what extend you wish to get involved, and can pick the timing to best benefit your tactics.

As Mas Ayoob has written many times (paraphrased): You make your choices and you live with the consequences.

I mostly carry a J-Frame .38 with a couple extra re-loads on speed strips. I know many people would consider me to be woefully under-armed, and dumb for not carrying a hi-capacity semi-auto with 4 extra 33 round magazines. . But I know the limitations of my J-Frame and have chosen to live with that "risk". If I'm ever attacked by 6 zombies and only have 5 shots, feel free to say to me. . .

I made my choice and will live (or not) with the consequences of that decision.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -

Last edited by wjv; 06-26-2012 at 14:41..
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 14:55   #7
coachrowsey

IMO you just draw attention to your self & become a target. Don't need stats.
coachrowsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:41   #8
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
You say occasionally, meaning it happens from time to time. In another thread we are looking for exactly that information, the times OC'ers have been murdered with their own weapon. Would you please list the times you know of and provide the links to the incidents? It will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...
I thought of this one ten seconds after I read this post.

Emelio Briel.

And, everyone here I bet, knows his story, but not his name. And, that's the problem. It's hard to collate facts into a different category in our minds.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:48   #9
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
I thought of this one ten seconds after I read this post.

Emelio Briel.

And, everyone here I bet, knows his story, but not his name. And, that's the problem. It's hard to collate facts into a different category in our minds.
He was shot while target shooting at a rock quarry by Platt and Matix, the FBI Miami Shootout shooters. They used Briel's car in several robberies before the shootout.

Five months later they also shot Jose Collazo (who also was targeting shooting, at another rock pit if I remember correctly) and left him for dead.

Don't know that those incidents qualify for inclusion in the "Open Carrier murdered with their own gun" classification.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:53   #10
LawScholar

Quote:
You say occasionally, meaning it happens from time to time. In another thread we are looking for exactly that information, the times OC'ers have been murdered with their own weapon. Would you please list the times you know of and provide the links to the incidents? It will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...
Not having specific stories is exactly why I said occasionally. I remember reading news stories about it several times this year.

The phenomenon of needing a pinpoint cite to every opinion and statement in conversation is pretty Internet exclusive.

It has happened. That was my only point.

If I come across any ill add them here!

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/news/2011/dec/03/4/teen-homicide-suspects-had-felony-convictions-ar-1510369/

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-528082.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1291027_Open_carrier_robbed_of_his_firearm.html

Here's three OC disarms I found with a 5-minute google. One murder, two robberies. Sorry for forum links, my phone was stubborn about copying the links within.

Last edited by LawScholar; 06-27-2012 at 08:00..
LawScholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:27   #11
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.

Quote:
He was shot while target shooting at a rock quarry by Platt and Matix, the FBI Miami Shootout shooters. They used Briel's car in several robberies before the shootout.

Five months later they also shot Jose Collazo (who also was targeting shooting, at another rock pit if I remember correctly) and left him for dead.

Don't know that those incidents qualify for inclusion in the "Open Carrier murdered with their own gun" classification.
But, why not? He was open carrying. They took his gun from him and they shot him with his own gun, if remember the ballistics forensics correctly.

People want new articles to match the framed question exactly. That rarely happens in real life.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:42   #12
Jon_R
Silver Membership

Quote:
But, why not? He was open carrying. They took his gun from him and they shot him with his own gun, if remember the ballistics forensics correctly.

People want new articles to match the framed question exactly. That rarely happens in real life.
It is probably pretty likely they waited until his gun was empty from shooting then took it from him at gun point. Why deal with a person with a loaded gun when you know it will be empty soon enough.

Same with why mess with someone clearly armed when there are so many unarmed to prey on. I bet guys 5' 2" 120 get mugged more then guys 6' 3" 250. As long as you can find the 5' 2" guys why bother with the bigger ones.
Jon_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:48   #13
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_R View Post
It is probably pretty likely they waited until his gun was empty from shooting then took it from him at gun point. Why deal with a person with a loaded gun when you know it will be empty soon enough.

Same with why mess with someone clearly armed when there are so many unarmed to prey on. I bet guys 5' 2" 120 get mugged more then guys 6' 3" 250. As long as you can find the 5' 2" guys why bother with the bigger ones.
They sure weren't shy about dealing with eight armed FBI agents.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:53   #14
Jon_R
Silver Membership

Quote:
They sure weren't shy about dealing with eight armed FBI agents.
They didn't have a choice. The agents cornered them and they fought pretty hard. Sure the bad guys would have preferred to keep being bad guys picking on the weak and vulnerable. Unless your desire is to go out in a blaze of glory or suicide by cop best to stick to the weakest targets you can find that have something worth taking makes for a longer career.
Jon_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:36   #15
NDCent
Socially Inept

Too bad the victim(s) shooting at the rock quarry/pits weren't CC'ing a bug, it MIGHT have prevented this.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:39   #16
RussP

I'm going to rearrange the parts of your post...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawScholar View Post
The phenomenon of needing a pinpoint cite to every opinion and statement in conversation is pretty Internet exclusive.
Really? Most legal opinions I read have specific cites, but notwithstanding that, yes, we do like pinpoint cites when references are made to specific incidents, or specific quantifying statements about a category, like your "occasionally" statement.
Quote:
Not having specific stories is exactly why I said occasionally. I remember reading news stories about it several times this year.

It has happened. That was my only point.
I believe you are reading different posts about the same events.
Quote:
If I come across any ill add them here!

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/n...ns-ar-1510369/

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-528082.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/129...s_firearm.html

Here's three OC disarms I found with a 5-minute google. One murder, two robberies. Sorry for forum links, my phone was stubborn about copying the links within.
Your original post was regarding OC'ers murdered with their own weapon. The Richmond incident you found is definitely one, and, as far as I know, the only one in recent history.

Your other two links are about the same incident, the Milwaukee assault and robbery in 2010.

I'm going to move or copy posts about this side topic to the more relevant thread, Got a question........, where we can continue the discussion.

See your there...

Old 06-27-2012, 11:21   #17
RottnJP
Lifetime Membership

Quote:

My recollection is that their MO was s little different from the "sudden grab" tactic... IIRC, they did the friendly "hey can I see that" thing, then popped him with it.

Personally, I don't generally OC for primarily this reason- the quick grab tactic, especially in a crowd or busy street. When I've OC'ed, it's been either out in the woods, or on the way home from the range, etc., just put the pistol in an OWB, and stopped for gas or a sandwich. Where I am is pretty rural, so no crowds to worry about, and no negative comments.
Outpost Member #69.14159
RottnJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:32   #18
DScottHewitt
EMT-B

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretefuzzynuts View Post
Do you really need stats, scottie? Or are you just stirring that pot?
I'm just asking a question. It seems to me most criminals {the exception being the Richmond BP case} would be more likely to look for someplace else to rob, if they see armed people ready to defend themselves and others.

Yet, in every OC thread, at least one person drops that little gem of "common knowledge" like there is a college thesis every one but me has read showing concrete proof it is a fact. Since it is always stated like it is fact.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:34   #19
DScottHewitt
EMT-B

Quote:
Remember, there has been a case right here in Richmond, Virginia where two bad guys followed an open carrier into a BP Convenience store, grabbed his gun and in the ensuing struggle shot the OCer.

Will it happen again? Eventually, yes, it will happen again. It is just a matter of time and opportunity. Will it become a frequent occurrence? I don't know.

Who volunteers to be next? Perhaps everyone open carrying does every time they do so. They just haven't found a taker yet.
But, is that a sign of the times, or just one isolated incident? Are there other documented cases of bad guys targeting someone they know is armed, or do they usually seek easier prey?

Old 06-27-2012, 11:37   #20
DScottHewitt
EMT-B

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachrowsey View Post
IMO you just draw attention to your self & become a target. Don't need stats.
But, that is my point. You just flatly said that the OC person is "drawing attention to themselves and becoming a target". As though it is fact. But, you "don't need stats".

Yet, stats are the difference between something being true, and someone feeling it is that way........