Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:14   #1
doolyd

SIG 238 and other pocket pistols

How long does it take to get used to these small firearms? I bought a SIG 238 yesterday and made it to the range this morning. I have shot an LCP and really didn't care for it so I decided to buy the SIG. This is my first 380 and man, I didn't shoot it too well. I kept anticipating the trigger but it wasn't breaking where I was anticipating.....

I only shot about 100rds and it looks like I need about 1K more to get used to this trigger. I like the sights and weight of the SIG and the similarity of the 1911....My favorite firearm is what drove me to it.

Very nice looking pistol as well.

General Firearms Forum

“Benjamin Franklin."
doolyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:19   #2
Beanie-Bean

It took a couple of boxes to figure to out, but it is a heavy SAO trigger pull, and for the heavier triggers, I use the part of my finger closest to the first crease/knuckle. Sometimes I use the crease itself, like a revolver or the DA pull on a SIG Sauer trigger.

It is an excellent gun (congrats, by the way) and I hope that you'll be able to add it to your carry rotation soon. Between the subcompact Glocks, and some other pistols I have, the SIG P238HD is probably one of my most carried firearms.

Beanie-Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 13:50   #3
philipk

Good choice!

I love my P238.

I had the opposite experience. My first shot was way off target. Then the vast majority of my following shots where on target.

I practice mostly at 7 and 15 yards. I haven't even tried 25 yards with this pistol.

Good luck!

G20 (OEM and Lonewolf 6" barrels), G23 (.40 + .357 SIG), G27 (.40 + .357 SIG), G35 (.40 and Lonewolf 9mm)

Last edited by philipk; 06-28-2012 at 13:50..
philipk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 14:01   #4
philipk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie-Bean View Post
It is an excellent gun (congrats, by the way) and I hope that you'll be able to add it to your carry rotation soon. Between the subcompact Glocks, and some other pistols I have, the SIG P238HD is probably one of my most carried firearms.
That was my plan.

Now that I have the gun, I am not sure it is a good plan.

I am beginning to agree with some experts who says all your carry guns should have the same basic operating procedures.

This would be true while carrying my G23, G27, or S&W J frame. Draw, point, and shoot.

The P238 is draw, point, drop safety, and shoot. Otherwise known as the 1911 system.

Experts claim in a panic you revert to memorized actions.

I learned this while driving my wife's car. The transmission has a different shift pattern than my car. It had never been an issue until I was stopped at a traffic light and a semi-truck started to backup towards me. I had GREAT difficulty putting her car in reverse. Luckily, I keep a safe distance from trucks when stopped. I was able to finally get it in gear and get out of his way.

Now I am at a dilemma.

I am still undecided. However, I am now carrying the P238 exclusively. Thus, I might just go to my 1911's when the weather turns cold.

Just a thought.

G20 (OEM and Lonewolf 6" barrels), G23 (.40 + .357 SIG), G27 (.40 + .357 SIG), G35 (.40 and Lonewolf 9mm)

Last edited by philipk; 06-28-2012 at 14:04..
philipk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 21:32   #5
CDR_Glock

I have one. It was perfect when I first tried one. I'm accurate out to 25 yards with it.

As for my P938, I'm only accurate out to 15 yards. It needs a trigger job.

My YouTube Channel:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
CDR_Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 23:18   #6
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

I love my P238, shoot it quite well. Does take more practice to stay proficient with though.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:57   #7
panzer1
NRA MEMBER

Funny I have a NNA 380. Small gun for sure that I use for a BUG & I have Very big hands. You would think that I would not shoot it well but I can & do shoot it well out to as far as 25yards.It as a some what heavy DAO trigger. But some how it works for me.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:10   #8
Dawolf

I have shot my wife's. It seems too shoot high for me like a snubbie. Aim it a quarter of a inch low, and hits center. Why my B.U.G. in a 380 is a PPK. It shoots dead on. My main B.U.G. however now in a Nano. Probably would not consider a 938, as it is ergonomically the same as the 238.
Dawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:45   #9
sr556m9

It only took me maybe 50 rounds to figure out how to effectively hold and shoot my LCP. The thing is, I never carry it. I always felt undergunned when I did. I ended up carrying my G30 for a couple years, followed by my G19 and now my G26. I really think the G26 is the perfect ccw pistol. It holds enough firepower, extremely reliable, and even more accurate. If I could only own one gun, however, it would be my G19. I think it does everything well.
sr556m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:31   #10
Bufford

I have had three (3) different 238's and each one shoots a bit different. My sons is a bit low, my wife's is spot on and mine is perfect for my grip (6 o'clock sight picture) Shoot it a bit and fall in love with it like the rest of us!

Last edited by Bufford; 06-29-2012 at 12:32..
Bufford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 21:51   #11
doolyd

Well I got some 7rounder mustang mags so I will see if the extra grip will help. I didn't expect to shoot a fly off a dogs ass just yet and I really love how it feels. I also don't feel under gunned....a .22 to the head will kill so again, shot placement, shot placement, shot placement.

I would agree with the G19 comment though.

“Benjamin Franklin."
doolyd is offline   Reply With Quote