Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-30-2012, 17:25   #1
Boot Stomper

Problems found with FNS-9

I am a fan of FNH and love my FNX-40, but the new striker fire pistols seem to have a problem. I personally tried disassembling one in a gun store and the slide hangs up really bad.

The trigger of the FNS is grainy which was really disappointing since the FNX trigger is so sweet. I think the gun will be a great gun, but FN need to iron out the bugs.

Check out the article and the videos

http://www.activeresponsetraining.ne...er-fire-pistol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=AicVIt_PNLQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=h2KvmbzfmmI
Boot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 17:44   #2
Decguns

I think the trigger on my FNX is kind of crappy... all those gizmo's attached to the trigger bar create quite a funky hitch at the beginning of the single action trigger pull. You don't notice it from your armchair by merely cocking the hammer. When you rack the slide, resetting the trigger bar alignment just as it would during firing, then you'll feel the mushy creep as you move all the gizmo's back into firing position. I look forward to someone coming out with an aftermarket trigger for this pistol.

Last edited by Decguns; 06-30-2012 at 17:45..
Decguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:34   #3
Boot Stomper

Thanks for your feed back. The FNX SA/DA trigger is very good when you remember its a $500 to $600 gun (I paid $460).

You can get a better trigger, but you are then in the $800 to $1500 range. Whether it is Sig Sauer or a 1911.

The purpose of this post was to inform Glock Talkers about the issues with the FNS series of pistols. Not to debate triggers pull.

Last edited by Boot Stomper; 07-06-2012 at 06:35..
Old 07-04-2012, 08:28   #4
majette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boot Stomper View Post
Thanks for your feed back. The FNX SA/DA trigger is very good when you remember its a $500 to $600 gun (I paid $460).

You can get a better trigger, but you are then in the $800 to $1500 range. Whether it is Sig Sauer or a 1911.
the BEST striker fired pistol trigger is the walther ppq. they are about 550.00.
majette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:53   #5
NickC50310

Send a message via AIM to NickC50310
My FNX-40 has a GREAT trigger. Especially for a $500 gun!

Wow! Thats not good for that slide locking up like that! I had considered an FNS but have since decided on an XDM compact. They need to get those kinks worked out pronto! Thankfully in about 1200 to 1500 rounds through my FNX I havent had a single malfuntion of any kind.

Last edited by NickC50310; 07-04-2012 at 09:58..
NickC50310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:37   #6
Foxtrotx1

Wait, did you watch the video? The guy manually reset the trigger WITHOUT racking the slide. He caused it to fail. How is that a flaw?????

Eagle Scout.
Foxtrotx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:37   #7
CLM Number 101
Monkeyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decguns View Post
I think the trigger on my FNX is kind of crappy... all those gizmo's attached to the trigger bar create quite a funky hitch at the beginning of the single action trigger pull. You don't notice it from your armchair by merely cocking the hammer. When you rack the slide, resetting the trigger bar alignment just as it would during firing, then you'll feel the mushy creep as you move all the gizmo's back into firing position. I look forward to someone coming out with an aftermarket trigger for this pistol.
Agree with you about the FNX trigger. My personal one, before I sold it to a buddy, was exactly as you described. Others that I have played with at the fun show were the same. Get enough trigger time with various brands and models, and you realize what a crappy trigger is.

Politicians and judges who voted for, and supported, Obamacare are traitors to the country!
Con, the first 3 letters in Congress.
UN, the first 2 letters in UNnecessary.
12131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:42   #8
Foxtrotx1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12131 View Post
Agree with you about the FNX trigger. My personal one, before I sold it to a buddy, was exactly as you described. Others that I have played with at the fun show were the same. Get enough trigger time with various brands and models, and you realize what a crappy trigger is.
Are you guys referring to the FNS or FNX? the later has a solid trigger, no gizmos.

Eagle Scout.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:45   #9
SuperSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by majette View Post
the BEST striker fired pistol trigger is the walther ppq. they are about 550.00.
Pretty bold statement but hey, it's your opinion. Quite a few striker fired pistols out there - hope you tried them all before making that statement.

I handled and dry fired the FNS series and the trigger was ok. Coming from Glock - that's what I'm used to but with practice and due diligence I'm sure it can be tolerated.

Caracal and Steyr have pretty good triggers with IMHO leaning more toward the Steyr. But like navels - everybody's got one.

Hope FNH corrects the issue - read they were pushing hard for LEO and Military contracts.
Old 07-04-2012, 13:50   #10
Foxtrotx1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSport View Post
Pretty bold statement but hey, it's your opinion. Quite a few striker fired pistols out there - hope you tried them all before making that statement.

I handled and dry fired the FNS series and the trigger was ok. Coming from Glock - that's what I'm used to but with practice and due diligence I'm sure it can be tolerated.

Caracal and Steyr have pretty good triggers with IMHO leaning more toward the Steyr. But like navels - everybody's got one.

Hope FNH corrects the issue - read they were pushing hard for LEO and Military contracts.
To be fair, if you surf around, hes not the only one saying that.

Eagle Scout.
Old 07-04-2012, 14:15   #11
SuperSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrotx1 View Post
To be fair, if you surf around, hes not the only one saying that.
Handled, fired and good friend picked up a 1st edition PPQ. Nice pistol with nice ergo's and trigger. But the best? Relative and matter of opinion.
Old 07-04-2012, 16:42   #12
Comedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by majette View Post
Opinion noted. Mine is that the Caracal is the best in that category. This after having shot the PPQ, FNS, G17 & 19, M&P, XDM and Caracal. The Caracal beats them all for me. And they are going for $400 to $450 currently.

Last edited by Comedian; 07-04-2012 at 16:44..
Comedian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 20:25   #13
SuperSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comedian View Post
Opinion noted. Mine is that the Caracal is the best in that category. This after having shot the PPQ, FNS, G17 & 19, M&P, XDM and Caracal. The Caracal beats them all for me. And they are going for $400 to $450 currently.
Comedian - have you shot or felt the trigger on the Steyr M9-A1 9mm? I like the site picture on the Caracal - something different and the triangle scheme makes sense. Kinda like fit the blocks. Is there aftermarket site mfg's for them? Based how the rear sites are - just wondering.
Old 07-05-2012, 00:49   #14
Chowser

I saw this video and I still ordered an FNS-9. It should be here in a few days. I'll see if I can "replicate" his problem during malfunction training.
Chowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:39   #15
Boot Stomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowser View Post
I saw this video and I still ordered an FNS-9. It should be here in a few days. I'll see if I can "replicate" his problem during malfunction training.
Thanks, please let us know how your purchase goes. I was thinking about getting one until I saw the video, may wait awhile.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:36   #16
Gary1911A1

My FNS in 9MM has a good trigger. Not as good as my PPQ and about as good as my Caracal Compact. Trigger quality can be subjective to each person and when you factor in the differences in each individual pistol of a certain brand you get a "Ford vs Chevy" type discussion.
Gary1911A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 19:32   #17
Boot Stomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
My FNS in 9MM has a good trigger. Not as good as my PPQ and about as good as my Caracal Compact. Trigger quality can be subjective to each person and when you factor in the differences in each individual pistol of a certain brand you get a "Ford vs Chevy" type discussion.
Does your FNS have the same issues as shown in the above attached videos?

Does pushing the trigger forward lock the slide or hitting the front of the gun lock the slide?

Thanks for the post.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:23   #18
Gary1911A1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boot Stomper View Post
Does your FNS have the same issues as shown in the above attached videos?

Does pushing the trigger forward lock the slide or hitting the front of the gun lock the slide?

Thanks for the post.
Yes, both of the problems shown in the two videos. I guess it's just the way the striker system in the FNS is designed. I don't know if FN will loose out on any military/LE contracts because of it. I won't carry it for self defense as while we all know we shouldn't use our pistol as a impact weapon it happens.
Gary1911A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:44   #19
attrapereves

I owned a FNP-45 a while ago and was not impressed at all. I had many problems with it. Also, mags were impossible to find at the time.
attrapereves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 14:49   #20
Boot Stomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
Yes, both of the problems shown in the two videos. I guess it's just the way the striker system in the FNS is designed. I don't know if FN will loose out on any military/LE contracts because of it. I won't carry it for self defense as while we all know we shouldn't use our pistol as a impact weapon it happens.
Thanks for the post. Maybe FN will pull a Ruger and redesign the trigger to be like Glock.

Ruger's problem with the SR9 was with the drop safety and rounds going off when the trigger was not pulled. Oops

Last edited by Boot Stomper; 07-08-2012 at 17:20..