Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-01-2012, 16:47   #1
wrx04

Anschutz vs 10/22

This is a spin-off of the .22 rifle thread. I dont need a .22 rifle, but i want one. It will be my only .22 rifle, and i want one that will last a lifetime.....something to teach my kids to shoot once that time comes.

The price is not a huge factor, but i'd like to keep the entire gun (with optics) under $2k. Would you prefer an anschutz bolt gun or a 10/22 that i have some money left to modify? Maybe a tac-sol threaded barrel, VQ trigger, nice scope, and potentially a suppressor in the future.

Or get a nice anschutz that is well built and classic looking. Put on a nice scope and call it good. (Can you add a suppressor to these?)
wrx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 17:46   #2
Bob Hafler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx04 View Post
This is a spin-off of the .22 rifle thread. I dont need a .22 rifle, but i want one. It will be my only .22 rifle, and i want one that will last a lifetime.....something to teach my kids to shoot once that time comes.

The price is not a huge factor, but i'd like to keep the entire gun (with optics) under $2k. Would you prefer an anschutz bolt gun or a 10/22 that i have some money left to modify? Maybe a tac-sol threaded barrel, VQ trigger, nice scope, and potentially a suppressor in the future.

Or get a nice anschutz that is well built and classic looking. Put on a nice scope and call it good. (Can you add a suppressor to these?)
For the kind of money your talking you could buy each one of your kids there own 10/22 that they could do whatever they wanted to with it as far as accsessories. Many 10/22 have lasted long enough to be passed down from father to son. The options for these rifles are never ending and not likely to change anytime soon. There as popular now as they ever were. JMHO
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 18:27   #3
hogship
It's MY Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hafler View Post
For the kind of money your talking you could buy each one of your kids there own 10/22 that they could do whatever they wanted to with it as far as accsessories. Many 10/22 have lasted long enough to be passed down from father to son. The options for these rifles are never ending and not likely to change anytime soon. There as popular now as they ever were. JMHO
This is exactly what I've done. The 10/22 with the Hogue overmold stock is mine, and the one below that, with the folding stock, is for my two sons to use.

ooc

General Firearms Forum
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by hogship; 07-01-2012 at 18:28..
hogship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 18:50   #4
cysoto
Gone Shooting!

That is a very unfair comparison. The Ruger 10/22 is nowhere near the same league as an Anschütz (especially if you are talking about a 54 action) but for the Anschütz to really shine, you have to feed it a steady diet of good ammo where the 10/22 will shoot any crap ammo you feed it (though sometimes with less-than-stellar results).

If you are looking for a rifle to teach the kids how to shoot, a Ruger 10/22 will most probably be your best choice. If you are looking for a top-notch competition rifle, an Anschütz 54 is the way to go.
Old 07-01-2012, 18:57   #5
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Depends what you want?

A rifle to blast cans around the back yard? 10-22 hands down.

Rifle to teach the kids to shoot, and drive tacks/have backyard competitions with? Anschutz or CZ by far.

I've got a CZ 452, and I've yet to find a 10-22 that can hang with it, without spending a whooooole lot of money.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 18:59   #6
Bruce M

For the price of an Anschutz you could probably get a Chipmunk (or similar) to start the children when they are too young/small for a full size rifle, some sort of full size bolt action like a CZ 452 for them to graduate to and a 10/22 when they want to shoot faster (and you think they are old enough to do that.) I believe the Anschutz is a better rifle and I think they look nicer than any of the above but I am not certain that the quality of the rifle is necessary to teach children.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 19:25   #7
RJ's Guns

I have a number of different Anschutz 22LR Sporting rifles and several Volquartsen 22LR auto-loaders (not Ruger 10/22 rifles bastardized with Volquartsen parts, but Volquartsen manufactured 10/22 type rifles). In my experience, the Anschutz 54 match cylinder action rifles tend to be a little bit more accurate than the Volquartsen rifles but not by much. 1/8” – 1/16” maximum at 50 yards and usually less.

I find that I prefer to shoot my Volquartsen rifles more than my Anschutz sporting rifles because I find an extremely accurate auto-loader more fun than an extremely accurate bolt-action repeater. You may find that a Volquartsen rifle is just what you are looking for. For your price point and purpose, I would counsel against bastardizing a Ruger 10/22 with Volquartsen parts and suggest that you get the real deal.

https://www.volquartsen.com/

RJ
RJ's Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 19:41   #8
wrx04

Thanks for the replies.

I should state i dont have any kids yet. I just got married earlier this month, so it will be awhile before our kids (God willing) are old enough.

This will be my gun. I want a nice, quality rifle that i can shoot a lot (affordably) for the next 50 years.

This one seems like the ticket:
http://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/index...uktShow=detail
Old 07-01-2012, 19:50   #9
Metal Angel

For the money you are talking about, you could split the difference and get a Ruger 77/22 bolt action. I have no experience with them, but have always wanted one. It just costs too much for my purposes.

Truly, my recommendation is still a 10/22.
Metal Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 19:51   #10
wrx04

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ's Guns View Post
I have a number of different Anschutz 22LR Sporting rifles and several Volquartsen 22LR auto-loaders (not Ruger 10/22 rifles bastardized with Volquartsen parts, but Volquartsen manufactured 10/22 type rifles). In my experience, the Anschutz 54 match cylinder action rifles tend to be a little bit more accurate than the Volquartsen rifles but not by much. 1/8” – 1/16” maximum at 50 yards and usually less.

I find that I prefer to shoot my Volquartsen rifles more than my Anschutz sporting rifles because I find an extremely accurate auto-loader more fun than an extremely accurate bolt-action repeater. You may find that a Volquartsen rifle is just what you are looking for. For your price point and purpose, I would counsel against bastardizing a Ruger 10/22 with Volquartsen parts and suggest that you get the real deal.

https://www.volquartsen.com/

RJ
I checked out the volquartsen website. Those look nice. Are there ANY ruger parts left in those guns at all, or is everything made by vq?
Old 07-01-2012, 21:12   #11
RJ's Guns

Quote:
I checked out the volquartsen website. Those look nice. Are there ANY ruger parts left in those guns at all, or is everything made by vq?
No Ruger parts whatsoever. Everything is top quality Volquartsen, Day and night difference from Ruger.
RJ
Old 07-01-2012, 21:21   #12
RJ's Guns

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

I should state i dont have any kids yet. I just got married earlier this month, so it will be awhile before our kids (God willing) are old enough.

This will be my gun. I want a nice, quality rifle that i can shoot a lot (affordably) for the next 50 years.

This one seems like the ticket:
I have an Anschutz 1416 and it is a nice rifle but the "64" action is nowhere near as good as the 54 match cylinder action. In my opinion you would be better served to spend the extra money and get a 1710

I got the Meistergrade 1710 and it is very nice
http://www.championshooters.com/Anschutz-sp.htm

RJ
Old 07-01-2012, 21:26   #13
Caladan

You might look at the Weatherby MK XXII (not the older semi-auto version), which is an Anschutz action in a Weatherby stock. I don't think they are produced any more, but you might be able to find some still in stock at places like Gander Mtn.. A few years ago, they were less expensive than an equivelant Anschutz. They are more accurate than other rifles such as the Ruger 77 and the CZ 452. I know because I used to own them as well.

If you are wanting a semi-auto and don't want to spend VQ money, then just get a Ruger 10/22, add a nice stock and barrel (consider threaded) along with a Kidd trigger, and call it a day. I will also say that my bone-stock 10/22 will shoot sub-MOA groups out to 70 yards (the farthest I've shot it so far) when using Eley match ammo.....
Caladan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 21:48   #14
wrx04

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ's Guns View Post
I have an Anschutz 1416 and it is a nice rifle but the "64" action is nowhere near as good as the 54 match cylinder action. In my opinion you would be better served to spend the extra money and get a 1710

I got the Meistergrade 1710 and it is very nice
http://www.championshooters.com/Anschutz-sp.htm

RJ
Thanks for the help, RJ. I will make sure i get the 54 action. I like the 1710D HB classic heavy barrel. What scope do you run on yours?
Old 07-01-2012, 21:49   #15
wrx04

How far can a .22 rifle hold groups if shooting outside? 100 yards?
Old 07-01-2012, 21:58   #16
hogship
It's MY Island

Quote:
Depends on what you mean by "hold groups"........a 22 will start to deteriorate in accuracy pretty rapidly past about 75yds, or so.......but, still accurate enough at that distance to nail something small, like a gopher.......

ooc

This is 25 yards with my Marlin 880SQ. I didn't write it down at the time, but I think this was using Wolf Match Target ammunition:
General Firearms Forum
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by hogship; 07-01-2012 at 22:01..
hogship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 22:20   #17
RJ's Guns

Quote:
Thanks for the help, RJ. I will make sure i get the 54 action. I like the 1710D HB classic heavy barrel. What scope do you run on yours?

I like low powered variable range scopes because I like to shoot off-hand. My 1710 is buried in one of my vaults and I have not shot it for several months but my best guess is I have a 1.25-4 X with a 30mm tube on it or a 1.5-5X. I usually get a scope with as large of an Ocular Bell Diameteras I can get, as want as much light gathering ability as possible. I know that for a while, I had a 1.2-5x scope on it with an Ocular Bell Diameter of 42mm but I may have put that scope on something else.

RJ

Last edited by RJ's Guns; 07-01-2012 at 22:21..
Old 07-01-2012, 22:39   #18
SDDL-UP

wrk04,

If you're willing to spend $2,000 - go with an Anschutz!

10/22's are okay guns and everything, but it sounds like an Anschutz is more in line with what you're looking for. You might also check out a CZ-452 American or FS version - also very nice rifles.
Old 07-01-2012, 22:50   #19
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:

I knocked a crow down at a laser measured 154 today on the first shot.

It takes a little skill but a 22 can deliver the goods a whole lot further out than most people can shoot it.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is online now   Reply With Quote