GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-01-2012, 19:59   #1
Metal Angel

How are people feeling about the P290(RS) these days?

Alas! After about six months of shopping for a pocket gun, I have still not made my selection! I'm just too gunshy to pull the trigger on anything.

The 290 got a very bad rap coming out the gate, but with the improvements they made to the RS version, I have heard good things. It's still not a particularly attractive firearm, but it comes with night sights, a flush mag, a baseplate to make the flush mag slightly longer if you prefer, and an extended grip mag that ups the capacity to 8, and it has come down in price a tremendous amount.

Other pocket handguns still in the running are the P238 (not excited about .380, but better than nothing, amiright?), 642(not excited about low capacity and slow reloads), and the P938 (although realistically, just too new and too expensive).
Metal Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:51   #2
elde
Lifetime Membership

Yeah, my 290RS also came with the factory laser along, with all the stuff you mentioned for $499 NIB. I felt that it was a good deal so I bought it. I'll also mention that I have a Nano, PPS, Rohrbaugh, Shield, G26, etc. to compare it to.

Pros: Absolutely reliable with any ammuntion I've put through it. HST, GD, CD & various FMJs. Seems to be well made, slide to frame fit is great, extra mags readily available. Love the 8+1 extended mag. Great sights for a subcompact. 600+ trouble-free rounds.

Cons: Somewhat heavy for it's size. Heavy, long trigger, but smooth....somewhat like the P250. The long trigger pull causes off-center hits for me once it finally releases. Texture on grip more irritating than Glock RTF2. (Used bicycle inner tube to fix that.) However, if you can shoot a 642 accurately, the trigger might be acceptable to you.

Summation: Can't fall in love with it even though it's reliable....the trigger is a deal breaker. Much prefer the Nano trigger which is smoother, lighter and breaks sooner. Nano is also lighter weight and seems to have a lessened recoil pulse in my hand compared to 290RS. The PPS and Shield seem to fit into a different category as their increased size limits their use to IWB rather than pocket carry. The Rohrbaugh is smaller than all of these but certainly more punishing to fire and much more expensive. I will not pocket carry a single action handgun so the 938 is not a player for me. I will say that I was surprised at the rather heavy SA trigger pull on the 938 I fired last week.

Good luck in your quest.

Last edited by elde; 07-02-2012 at 08:55..
elde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:00   #3
Metal Angel

Thanks! All the different options of pocket pistols are awesome, but part of me wishes I lived 50 years ago so I would have less options to confuse me!
Metal Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 14:17   #4
Dawolf

Might disappear from the line up after the P-938 becomes readily available?????
Dawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:25   #5
ca survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Angel View Post
Thanks! All the different options of pocket pistols are awesome, but part of me wishes I lived 50 years ago so I would have less options to confuse me!
yes, 40 years ago you only had a few S&W autos, Browning HP, 1911s, CZs and a lot of revolvers
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote