GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:52   #1
snerd

Would You Take Away Guns From Law-Abiding Citizens?

Roy Huntington at American Handgunner Magazine is conducting a poll and posted in American Cop Magazine.......
Quote:
I was asked to write about this a long while ago, back when I was still a cop. I wrote the article and stated: I would not do it and, yes, Iíd risk the consequences. I signed my name to the article, and my agency knew it. I also said I didnít feel the vast majority of my LE peers would participate if they felt they were given an unlawful order to confiscate guns. But today? I honestly donít know what would happen. Whatís your opinion? You tell me.

By Roy Huntington

Reach me through the editor@americanhandgunner.com and I anxiously await your mail.

http://www.americancopmagazine.com/will-you-do-it/
Old 07-02-2012, 04:40   #2
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

I, and about 5000 friends from 1st Cav were asked to do exactly that by the LA governor and the NO Mayor. We said no. Too bad everyone else didn't say no. Most did, but some didn't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
--Gunhaver
Don't let the guys quoted above contact your reps more than you.

Last edited by Cavalry Doc; 07-02-2012 at 04:41..
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:34   #3
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"

Interesting comments section.
Ruble Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:38   #4
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
I, and about 5000 friends from 1st Cav were asked to do exactly that by the LA governor and the NO Mayor. We said no. Too bad everyone else didn't say no. Most did, but some didn't.
Hats off to you and the 1st Cav, Doc.
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:58   #5
HexHead

It should be noted that in the wake of the Katrina gun grab, several states passed laws banning gun confiscations during emergencies. TN was one of them.
HexHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:11   #6
The Machinist
No Compromise

Quote:
God bless you! That was the act of a patriot.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:17   #7
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Hats off to you and the 1st Cav, Doc.
No sweat, it's not difficult NOT doing bad things.

--Gunhaver

Old 07-02-2012, 08:19   #8
JBnTX
JB in Tx

Why doesn't Roy Huntington post a public poll instead of having LEO's contact him privately, where the results will only be known to him?

Sounds like a limp wristed way of making sure it's safe before going public with the information?

I'm betting that the majority of police officers will follow orders
and confiscate all firearms when told to do so.

Cops will talk smack on the internet, but in real life they'll do what they're told. They'll put themselves first and not risk their jobs.

Last edited by JBnTX; 07-02-2012 at 08:23..
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:21   #9
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Machinist View Post
God bless you! That was the act of a patriot.
Maybe I'm mistaken. But I sense you are being a bit over the top. That call was made without hesitation by the task force commander supported unanimously by all the staff.

It's an illustration of the complete inadequacy and ignorance of the New Orleans and Louisiana elected government.

We also refused to forcibly evacuate citizens. Posse comitatus and the 2nd amendment trumped their requests, that's all.

--Gunhaver

Old 07-02-2012, 08:23   #10
rgregoryb
Sapere aude

I am retired now, but as a LEO I would never confiscate firearms from law abiding citizens

"demography is destiny"
rgregoryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:25   #11
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
Why doesn't Roy Huntington post a public poll instead of having LEO's contact him privately, where the results will only be known to him?

Sounds like a limp wristed way of making sure it's safe before going public with the information?

I'm betting that the majority of police officers will follow orders
and confiscate all firearms when told to do so.

Cops will talk smack on the internet, but in real life they'll do what they're told.
A lot of that would depend on where you are. An urban cop in Chicago would probably not go the same way as a rural Constible in Texas.

--Gunhaver

Old 07-02-2012, 08:30   #12
The Machinist
No Compromise

Quote:
Maybe I'm mistaken. But I sense you are being a bit over the top. That call was made without hesitation by the task force commander supported unanimously by all the staff.
I meant what I said, Doc.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:41   #13
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Machinist View Post
I meant what I said, Doc.
Sorry, my bad.

--Gunhaver

Old 07-02-2012, 09:59   #14
bruzer

This is the problem as I see it. Laws will be enacted. Not over night but over time. The Law Abiding Citizen will eventually become the law breaker if they don't voluntarily give up their guns when asked to do so. So when the Government moves in to confiscate guns they will be acting within the laws. You and I are now criminals and no longer Law Abiding Citizens. So when the question is asked, "Would you take away guns from Law-Abiding Citizens?". The answer is of coarse, "No". But unfortunately we will become the criminals when the time is right.
Good luck and stay safe,
Mike
bruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:31   #15
Gunhaver
the wrong hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruzer View Post
This is the problem as I see it. Laws will be enacted. Not over night but over time. The Law Abiding Citizen will eventually become the law breaker if they don't voluntarily give up their guns when asked to do so. So when the Government moves in to confiscate guns they will be acting within the laws. You and I are now criminals and no longer Law Abiding Citizens. So when the question is asked, "Would you take away guns from Law-Abiding Citizens?". The answer is of coarse, "No". But unfortunately we will become the criminals when the time is right.
Good luck and stay safe,
Mike
That's exactly it right there. Most cops would tell you that they think a 15 round mag is not too many for a civilian to have in his gun at one time but I'll bet every last one in California would bust you for having one. It's not about what they think is right. It's about the opportunity to make an arrest. Shotgun barrel a 1/4" too short? Snapped a foregrip on your Glock rail? Don't have just the right mix of import and domestic parts on your AK? If a cop catches you chances are it's jail time. Has nothing to do with lethality or anything other than what the legislators agreed on as far as the cops are concerned.

I have no reason to believe it would be any different if semi-autos or polymer frames or laser sights or just firearms altogether were made illegal.
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:33   #16
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
That's exactly it right there. Most cops would tell you that they think a 15 round mag is not too many for a civilian to have in his gun at one time but I'll bet every last one in California would bust you for having one. It's not about what they think is right. It's about the opportunity to make an arrest. Shotgun barrel a 1/4" too short? Snapped a foregrip on your Glock rail? Don't have just the right mix of import and domestic parts on your AK? If a cop catches you chances are it's jail time. Has nothing to do with lethality or anything other than what the legislators agreed on as far as the cops are concerned.

I have no reason to believe it would be any different if semi-autos or polymer frames or laser sights or just firearms altogether were made illegal.
You support wealth confiscation so why not gun confiscation.
Ruble Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:05   #17
Gunhaver
the wrong hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruble Noon View Post
You support wealth confiscation so why not gun confiscation.
You gonna follow me all around the forum shoving that up my a** now? This here is a different thread.

For 9 years now I've been a firearms instructor with a lot of liberal friends and I've been an ambassador to the shooting sports to every one of them. I have a standing offer to all my friends and anyone they know to come to the range with me and shoot a free box of ammo just to show them how much fun it can be. I've probably spent several thousand dollars on ammo in that time. I have 12 pistols and 3 rifles for them to choose from and I'd estimate that I'm personally responsible for convincing well over 100 people to go purchase their own handgun and more than half of them have gotten carry permits. I find my method much more effective than standing around here preaching to the choir. Last I checked this was a firearms forum, not an Obamacare haters forum.

So would you have me go back and unravel all that effort? Let every one of them know that the gun owners on Glocktalk don't want their support unless their political leanings all fall right in line with the GOP? All because you can't handle the fact that I have a sick friend and thought maybe ACA wouldn't be such a bad thing for her?

Some of you guys here are exactly what keeps a lot of people from wanting to learn anything about guns because you're exactly what they envision when they think of a gun owner. I guarantee that I've done a lot more to further the Second Amendment that you have but you could maybe catch up with me just by keeping your mouth shut for the next 9 years.

Last edited by Gunhaver; 07-02-2012 at 11:33..
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:23   #18
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
You gonna follow me all around the forum shoving that up my a** now? This here is a different thread.
See, that's the problem. We all remember what you say in all the threads you post in, and will consider what you say forever more in that context. Don't fret about it, be comfortable in your own skin.

--Gunhaver

Old 07-02-2012, 11:25   #19
snerd

Statements have consequences.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:39   #20
Walt_NC

Noncompliace with an illegal order is easy. More difficult hypothitical scenario:

Let's say that the Constitution was amended in a legal manner so as to revoke and repeal the 2nd Amendment. Laws were passed prohibiting ownership of firearms and requiring them to be relinquished.

Would you, as a hypothetical cop, then obey your sworn oath to the rule of law and carry out the lawful order to confiscate guns?
Walt_NC is offline   Reply With Quote