Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:12   #1
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Store owner arrested for pulling gun on customer, threatening to shoot him

http://www.freep.com/article/2012070...g-to-shoot-him

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

ďIgnorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.Ē

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:45   #2
smokin762

Every coin has two sides.
smokin762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:54   #3
DScottHewitt
EMT-B

Send a message via AIM to DScottHewitt Send a message via Yahoo to DScottHewitt
Quote:
The customer said Samona ordered him out, but he refused to leave

That's called "trespassing"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DScottHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:00   #4
wrenrj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DScottHewitt View Post
Yes, but hardly the level where a weapon needs to be deployed. That just escalates the situation. Call the PD.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:07   #5
dosei

Do stupid things...win stupid prizes.

When one decides to carry a gun, they often wonder where to put it. A good place to start is by first throwing away arrogance and ignorance. Once you stop carrying those around, it's easier to find a place for the gun.
"Know where the attack against you is likely to come, whether on the street or in court, and have a proven counter already in place" (Mas Ayoob)
dosei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:10   #6
DScottHewitt
EMT-B

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenrj1 View Post
Yes, but hardly the level where a weapon needs to be deployed. That just escalates the situation. Call the PD.
Or, the customer escalated the situation. No way of knowing from the outside how heated the "conversation" got before the store owner felt the need to draw. The customer might have been cool, calm, and collected. Or he might have been on the verge of taking physical action against the store owner.

And, one punch can be fatal.......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by DScottHewitt; 07-03-2012 at 10:11..
Old 07-03-2012, 10:10   #7
DScottHewitt
EMT-B

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosei View Post
Do stupid things...win stupid prizes.

When one decides to carry a gun, they often wonder where to put it. A good place to start is by first throwing away arrogance and ignorance. Once you stop carrying those around, it's easier to find a place for the gun.
Carry Issues
By dscotthewitt at 2012-06-28

+87 on the "making room" part.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:17   #8
HandyMan Hugh
NRA Life Member

Mr. Sanoma is not only rude, but he has way too short a fuse. He should not be in contact with the public and he should not have access to firearms. Fortunately, the law might well correct both problems soon. That's just my .50 worth.

Last edited by HandyMan Hugh; 07-03-2012 at 10:47..
HandyMan Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:25   #9
DScottHewitt
EMT-B

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyMan Hugh View Post
Mr. Sanoma is not only rude, but he has way too short a fuse. He should not be in contact with the public and he should not have access to firearms. Fortunately, the law mithe well correct both problems soon. That's just my .50 worth.
Except, the only side of the story we can get from the outside is coming from the other person in the argument.......

Old 07-03-2012, 11:50   #10
GlockFanBoy4Life

Quote:
Carry Issues
By dscotthewitt at 2012-06-28

+87 on the "making room" part.
lmfao!
GlockFanBoy4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 18:45   #11
wrenrj1

Quote:
Or, the customer escalated the situation. No way of knowing from the outside how heated the "conversation" got before the store owner felt the need to draw. The customer might have been cool, calm, and collected. Or he might have been on the verge of taking physical action against the store owner.

And, one punch can be fatal.......
I'll give you that, taking the article at face value, but the guy better have a good case that his life was threatened. Guess that'll come out in court.

Wren
Old 07-03-2012, 19:24   #12
lawson12

Whatever happened to the customer always being right?
lawson12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 19:35   #13
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

Open cellphone would have prevented this.
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 21:00   #14
magiaaron
Low Speed Ops

That's pretty interesting. I wonder what the full story is. As was said, if you take the article at face value, that store owner is probably in some deep manure. It does make me wonder, however, exactly what transpired.

The big thing to note is how important the concept of "complainant = victim" is. If the owner felt his life was threatened enough to pull a firearm, he should have called the police. Had he, I imagine that things could have turned out differently.

magiaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:38   #15
Misty02

Quote:
Yeap. It would have gone quite differently if the store owner had been the one to call the police and have the customer arrested for trespassing since he acknowledges he was told to leave and refused to do so.

It appears people that carry are more in tune with trespassing laws than the general population. Most people we know, who are not into firearms, donít seem to understand that one very well and believe they can stand there and refuse to leave until their problem is resolved.

We had that argument some time ago with a stubborn friend (birds of a feather and all that) who after a long dragged discussion agreed it would be trespassing for us because we were armed but not for him and no one but a police officer could force him to vacate an establishment open to the public. We kept trying to explain none of us could stay after being told to leave, the difference in charges could be trespass for him and possibly armed trespass for us, but the trespass part applied equally.

Next time we saw him I had printed material that demonstrated otherwise and he finally conceded with ďI canít believe I can be arrested because someone doesnít resolve a problem theyíre obligated to fix!Ē Iím stubborn too and wasnít about to let it go so easily, plus, we didnít want our friend arrested one day because he didnít know when to give up, count his loses and address his problem another day or over the phone with supervisors.

"In making tactical dispositions, the highest pitch you can attain is to conceal them." - Sun Tzu

Outpost Member #69
Misty02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:32   #16
jph02

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
Open cellphone would have prevented this.
Actually, that was the whole problem! The customer couldn't figure out how to open his cellphone battery compartment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magiaaron View Post
...If the owner felt his life was threatened enough to pull a firearm, he should have called the police. Had he, I imagine that things could have turned out differently.
Bingo! At the very least, better to have trespass charges filed against a customer than to be charged with pulling a gun on your customers.
jph02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:09   #17
steveksux
Massive Member

In this case, it seems like a right exercised is a right that's about to be lost...

Randy

Last edited by steveksux; 07-04-2012 at 10:16..
steveksux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:29   #18
Carrys
Inquisitive

IMO.............as the number of folks who have CCP's grows, the larger the number of knotheads will become. The folks who got their permits sooner rather than later IMO... are those who know how to use a gun......and when not to.

Those who are recent newcomers to the game may be among those not quite familiar with what to do with or how to use a gun. In other words.............knotheads.

Men Seem To Think Their God Is Like Their Govt.......He Is Supposed To Give Them Things, Not Ask Anything Of them.

Last edited by Carrys; 07-04-2012 at 10:30..
Carrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:39   #19
Misty02

Some of us newcomers have gone out of our way to learn as quickly as humanly possible. I have a feeling you are likely to find knotheads in either sector. I donít see the correlation between common sense and being a long term gun owner.

"In making tactical dispositions, the highest pitch you can attain is to conceal them." - Sun Tzu

Outpost Member #69
Misty02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:42   #20
TDC20

I have to wonder what actually transpired, too. PO'd customer could have made up a story to get even with the rude store owner. There are 3 sides to the story. Places like this usually have security video. If it exists, that will probably be the deciding factor.

Contrary to popular belief, the customer isn't always right. If he is in this case, the store owner is in deep doo-doo.