Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-03-2012, 19:02   #1
Atluu

Buying first firearm (ar15 vs glock)

Hi I'm interested in learning more and more about each of these firearms. I'm currently stuck between a s&w mp15 and a glock 17. It will be used mainly for the range but also for HD whenever needed. The only upgrade I am interested in is a trijigon night sight for the glock. As for the ar15 I plan to do all of the necessary upgrades (optics, sling, rail system).

I'm confused on how customizing works on the AR15, are there any websites or books that go over this topic?
Atluu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 19:12   #2
bac1023

I say start with the handgun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 19:13   #3
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atluu View Post
Hi I'm interested in learning more and more about each of these firearms. I'm currently stuck between a s&w mp15 and a glock 17. It will be used mainly for the range but also for HD whenever needed. The only upgrade I am interested in is a trijigon night sight for the glock. As for the ar15 I plan to do all of the necessary upgrades (optics, sling, rail system).

I'm confused on how customizing works on the AR15, are there any websites or books that go over this topic?
Try posting in the Black Rifle Forum here on Glock Talk. There are hundreds of parts for AR-15s out there, and much of it comes down to personal preference. Take a look at the photo thread in the BRF, too, and you can get a good idea for the amount of customization that's possible.
Old 07-03-2012, 19:22   #4
J_P

Definely start with the glock 17(maybe look at the 19 if you only want one handgun). However the Glock 17 was my first handgun and I didnt get an AR-15 till about 2 years later. But really do whatever you want if you have the money. Also search youtube for all your ar15 needs..... ar15.com is great as well.

Last edited by J_P; 07-03-2012 at 19:23..
J_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 19:55   #5
Atluu

Thanks. Does all of the ar15 customization require a gunsmith? Aside from the sling and small add ons.

Can you just slap the parts on? Or will you need like a rail or adapter to put the parts on?

Last edited by Atluu; 07-03-2012 at 19:56..
Old 07-03-2012, 19:59   #6
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Thanks. Does all of the ar15 customization require a gunsmith? Aside from the sling and small add ons.

Can you just slap the parts on? Or will you need like a rail or adapter to put the parts on?
Depends on the parts. Some stuff is pretty much drop in (even some rails), and some requires some somewhat intensive work to install - sometimes to the point of stripping the rifle down to a bare upper receiver.
Old 07-03-2012, 19:59   #7
Boats
Not Assimilated

I'd have said start with the handgun, but as that choice is apparently a Glock, get the rifle first so that you have something normally shaped for shooting.
Boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 20:04   #8
CLM Number 101
Monkeyboy

AR15.com (great info with a lot of craziness)
AR15Armory.com (also very good info, very friendly site, and folks won't chew your head off)
Weaponevolution.com (outstanding info, highly professional, a little slow)
M4Carbine.net (a lot of great info, with a lot fanboy operators. Be prepared to get your head chewed up, if you're a fan of DPMS, Bushmaster, or Rock River Arms, or any sub-tier 1 ARs)

I personally stick with the first 3. That said, I would start with the hand gun, first, if it were me. But, get the AR soon, before prices go crazy again, like the post-2008 election.

Politicians and judges who voted for, and supported, Obamacare are traitors to the country!
Con, the first 3 letters in Congress.
UN, the first 2 letters in UNnecessary.
12131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 20:07   #9
JaPes
Rimfire 1010101

Quote:
I'm currently stuck between a s&w mp15 and a glock 17. It will be used mainly for the range but also for HD whenever needed.
Don't forget the factors in your other thread:
Quote:
I'm looking for a gun to be my first. I have narrowed down my list to a glock 34, Springfield RO 1911, or a glock 21. I'm looking for a gun to be my first and last gun for a extremely long time. I will not getting a CC license. My budget is $750 but the lower the cost the better.

Please respond with unbiased comments.
Source: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1428767

I am not deviating from the advice I gave you in that thread. You need a handgun.

I infer from all of your posts that you are a new firearms enthusiast. The excitement of buying your first firearm can be confusing. You'll loose sight of what you actually need.

You're new. The only way build skills to become a better marksman is to get trigger time. IMO, a .22lr semi-auto pistol such as a Ruger MKIII is the best 1st handgun for a new firearms enthusiast. Since you state that this will be your only firearm for a long time and you're using it for home defense, 9mm fits the bill.

A Glock 17 is one of the better center fire 9mm semi-auto platforms for a new shooter. It's easy to use. It's easy to maintain. It takes a near act of God to break it. It will teach you the basics of how a semi-auto works.

9mm is one of the more affordable center-fire handgun calibers. 115gr FMJ 9mm practice ammo costs around 19 cents to 26 cents per round, less if you buy in bulk. You'll be able to afford to practice more often.

Glock parts are plentiful and cheap. Glock magazines are relatively cheaper than other manufacturer's magazines. You can even buy very inexpensive Korean made magazines for a Glock for $6 to $10.

An AR15, while fun to own, is a money-pit. You'll end up changing out external accessories, buying an optic, mounting a light, ... it goes on and on. Ammo costs more. Also, some ranges do not allow rifle calibers on the range. Some ranges do not allow the least expensive practice rifle ammo, steel case Russian FMJ, on the range.

I think that you should eventually buy an AR15, but AFTER you've acquired a semi-auto handgun (Glock 17).

Whatever you choose, as a new shooter always follow the gun safety rules.

http://www.nrahq.org/education/guide.asp
Glock 22 Gen4 | Glock 17 Gen4 |
Glock 29SF

Last edited by JaPes; 07-03-2012 at 20:08..
JaPes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 20:17   #10
Atluu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPes View Post
Don't forget the factors in your other thread:

Source: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1428767

I am not deviating from the advice I gave you in that thread. You need a handgun.

I infer from all of your posts that you are a new firearms enthusiast. The excitement of buying your first firearm can be confusing. You'll loose sight of what you actually need.

You're new. The only way build skills to become a better marksman is to get trigger time. IMO, a .22lr semi-auto pistol such as a Ruger MKIII is the best 1st handgun for a new firearms enthusiast. Since you state that this will be your only firearm for a long time and you're using it for home defense, 9mm fits the bill.

A Glock 17 is one of the better center fire 9mm semi-auto platforms for a new shooter. It's easy to use. It's easy to maintain. It takes a near act of God to break it. It will teach you the basics of how a semi-auto works.

9mm is one of the more affordable center-fire handgun calibers. 115gr FMJ 9mm practice ammo costs around 19 cents to 26 cents per round, less if you buy in bulk. You'll be able to afford to practice more often.

Glock parts are plentiful and cheap. Glock magazines are relatively cheaper than other manufacturer's magazines. You can even buy very inexpensive Korean made magazines for a Glock for $6 to $10.

An AR15, while fun to own, is a money-pit. You'll end up changing out external accessories, buying an optic, mounting a light, ... it goes on and on. Ammo costs more. Also, some ranges do not allow rifle calibers on the range. Some ranges do not allow the least expensive practice rifle ammo, steel case Russian FMJ, on the range.

I think that you should eventually buy an AR15, but AFTER you've acquired a semi-auto handgun (Glock 17).

Whatever you choose, as a new shooter always follow the gun safety rules.

http://www.nrahq.org/education/guide.asp
Thanks for your valuable Information. I know my local range is an indoor and allow rifles, but I'm not sure how
Specific they are with the ammo. Before I wanted to buy a 1911, but I have switched over the a glock which is cheaper leaving me with more money to play around with. I chose the mp15 because of its reliability and price. I don't think I would want a .22 pistol though I understand it's cheap to shoot.
Old 07-03-2012, 20:19   #11
wrx04

I would get the Glock first (either a 17 or 19).

As for the AR, there is so much to learn that it can be overwhelming for a newbie. I was in your shoes 6 months ago and did a lot of reading. My advice would be buy a colt 6920, attach a sling, and take a class. Dont worry about all the gadgets, those will come with time.

The colt is affordable and proven. I took a carbine class with a stock 6920 and iron sights.....i held my own against guys with noveskes, aimpoints, muzzlebrakes, etc... Buy the gun, shoot it, and take your time with all the accessories. You dont NEED them until you are really good with the basics.
wrx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 20:21   #12
Atluu

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx04 View Post
I would get the Glock first (either a 17 or 19).

As for the AR, there is so much to learn that it can be overwhelming for a newbie. I was in your shoes 6 months ago and did a lot of reading. My advice would be buy a colt 6920, attach a sling, and take a class. Dont worry about all the gadgets, those will come with time.

The colt is affordable and proven. I took a carbine class with a stock 6920 and iron sights.....i held my own against guys with noveskes, aimpoints, muzzlebrakes, etc... Buy the gun, shoot it, and take your time with all the accessories. You dont NEED them until you are really good with the basics.
Thanks is for your input. Is there a class specifically for rifles?
Old 07-03-2012, 20:29   #13
wrx04

Quote:
Thanks is for your input. Is there a class specifically for rifles?
Yes. Almost all of the training courses have a class specifically for the m4 carbine. I took one through VSM (Vickers Shooting Methods), but there are a million other ones out there. My class cost $150 and was WELL worth the money. They show you how to zero your rifle, how to aim, hold the weapon, clear malfunctions, etc..... Not to mention its a blast getting to shoot over 500 rounds in a day.

The class will be FAR more valuable than any accessory you can buy. Good luck.
wrx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 20:30   #14
JaPes
Rimfire 1010101

Quote:
I don't think I would want a .22 pistol though I understand it's cheap to shoot.
Agreed. You said this will be your only gun for a long time, and you will use it for home defense. IMO, 9mm is the best choice given all of your criteria.

If you decide to purchase a Glock 17, IMO the next firearm on your list should be a proven .22lr semi-auto. A Ruger MKIII or a Browning Buckmark. While you will not learn to deal with recoil firing a .22lr, you will get to practice the fundamentals of grip, stance, sight, and trigger press for around 3-cents per round.

If you fire two rounds of 9mm, you could have fired about 14 rounds of .22lr.

And yes, just as there are courses for handguns there are courses for rifles & carbines. They range from basic courses to advanced self defense & tactics.
Glock 22 Gen4 | Glock 17 Gen4 |
Glock 29SF
JaPes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 20:34   #15
Atluu

Wow thanks. I'll be sure to take the class when I get a ar15. Is there any requirements to bring to the class?
Old 07-03-2012, 20:36   #16
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Wow thanks. I'll be sure to take the class when I get a ar15. Is there any requirements to bring to the class?
Class requirements wholly depend on the instructor and level of class you are taking. Typical is 3-6 magazines, ammo (anywhere from 200 to 2,000 rounds), some way of carrying the magazines on your body, a sling, and a suggestion of spare parts and cleaning tools/supplies.

If you take a class, your instructor should provide a full list of required items before hand.
Old 07-03-2012, 20:47   #17
arclight610

Get the Glock first, then you can shoot your way to your rifle.
arclight610 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 21:10   #18
GLOCK17DB9

Start with one but get both. You'll be glad you did.
Old 07-03-2012, 21:13   #19
Atluu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCK17DB9 View Post
Start with one but get both. You'll be glad you did.
Yep that's my plan. I am leaning towards the handgun first though. I'm buying one of them first now, then the next during Christmas or so.
Old 07-03-2012, 21:17   #20
GLOCK17DB9

Quote:
Yep that's my plan. I am leaning towards the handgun first though. I'm buying one of them first now, then the next during Christmas or so.
Good luck to you! I just purchased a Bushmaster Patrolman M4A3 and its awesome. Fun to shoot at the range and easy to care for.