SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:13   #1
conservativenut

Sunday discount for church bulletins

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/athe...rch-bulletins/

This is a priviate business so if you don't like their policies than take your money elsewhere. I think that the government needs to stay out of these kinds of complaints!
conservativenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:57   #2
hogfish
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conservativenut View Post
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/athe...rch-bulletins/

This is a priviate business so if you don't like their policies than take your money elsewhere. I think that the government needs to stay out of these kinds of complaints!
This is deffinitely misguided. A private buisiness can/should be able to do this, if they choose to do so.
It's the government who cannot/shouldn't be able to do this, but you can't kick God out of government, can you?

"Almost no matter the question, capitalism and freedom are the answers, while government and religion are not." Syclone538
hogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:26   #3
Brucev

Penny ante little complaints like this are not uncommon. Happily the restaurant owners are not required to accommodate the irrational and unconstitutional expectations of an atheist extremist. However... given that the fed. justice dept. is owned and operated by the squatter in the white house, and given that he is the sort of tolerant culture Christian beloved of the post-moderns, the restaurant owners may well find themselves at the sharply pointed end of a federal probe conducted not only by the fed. justice dept., but also the irs and other fed. agencies. After all, the squatter has demonstrated his willingness to weaponize the fed. govt. as his weapon in culture wars/domestic terrorism.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:29   #4
Vic Hays

It is a private business that serves the public.

According to the laws of the land business owners are not to discriminate on the basis of religion sexual orientation or race.

They are not supposed to discriminate and yet many restaurants give a senior discount. Is this age discrimination?

Apparently they are not discriminating according to which church. I wonder if the atheist belonged to a atheist group if they would give a discount if he brought in the order of a meeting?

John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
Vic Hays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:50   #5
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

I live in a town where most businesses are shut tighter than a chastity belt on Sunday and most on Monday to form a weekend. I keep the Sabbath, Saturday, and business is booming that day.

It is annoying and inconvenient, but it never crossed my mind to go around filing complaints or law suits. Why? It is a privately owned business and they opperating according to their consciences and what they belief to be true.

It is not my place to demand they open their doors for me. If I don't like it, I can leave town and go shopping elsewhere. The more metropolitan areas have no problem being open on a Sunday.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:45   #6
conservativenut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Hays View Post
It is a private business that serves the public.

According to the laws of the land business owners are not to discriminate on the basis of religion sexual orientation or race.

They are not supposed to discriminate and yet many restaurants give a senior discount. Is this age discrimination?

Apparently they are not discriminating according to which church. I wonder if the atheist belonged to a atheist group if they would give a discount if he brought in the order of a meeting?

Couldn't the "order of a meeting" also be called a "bulletin"?
conservativenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:18   #7
Vic Hays

Quote:
Originally Posted by conservativenut View Post
Couldn't the "order of a meeting" also be called a "bulletin"?
Sure it could be called a bulletin.

I wonder what atheists would do during a meeting talk about nothing?

John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
Vic Hays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 14:25   #8
void *
Dereference Me!

Quote:
There's a pub night that an atheist group in Austin does here. I've gone a few times. Mostly, for me, it's have a couple beers and maybe some dinner and B.S. about whatever comes up. There was a long, involved conversation/disagreement about Derek Parfit's teleporter experiment one night that was pretty interesting. There's sometimes talk of religion, but overall much less than I think people would expect.
"The human mind is seldom satisfied, and is not justifiable by any natural process whatsoever, as regards geometry, our universe differs only slightly from a long-term, bi-directional, single trait selection experiment." -- Maxwell/Einstein/Johansson
void * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 21:13   #9
Gunhaver
the wrong hands

Quote:

It usually turns into a big drug rave orgy seeing as how we don't have the morals and all that to worry about. You guys don't know what you're missing.

As for the lawsuit, I think it's BS. If a Christian wants to reward fellow Christians with a discount that's their business. The proper course of action if one were to be truly butthurt about it would be to open up your own business and only give discounts to fellow atheists.

Last edited by Gunhaver; 07-06-2012 at 21:23..
Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 22:12   #10
High-Gear

The guy is going about it all wrong. If he wants more business he should have a special open. Everyone. He is obviously targeting and rewarding church goers, but that is his right I guess. Now if the restraunt refused to serve him I would then be in agreement that it was discrimination.

I wonder though I he automatically gave and advertised 1/2 price for Catholics, and charged Protestants more if there would be more people on the side of the guy lodging the comaint?
High-Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 22:28   #11
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

Well, there is one thing that came out of all this. This guy got a lot of free publicity for his resturant and undoubtedly more business as a result.

The more conspiritorial side of myself wonders if it the whole thing was a publicity stunt.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:47   #12
steveksux
Massive Member

Private business is free to do that. First amendment restricts govt. And originally only the Fed govt, not the states. Some states had state religions early on.

Randy
steveksux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:25   #13
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:

Well, if you look at the meetings here, disparage anyone with another faith than their own.

But I agree, a private business should not be constrained in such ways. The Government is different. They need constraint.

Private businesses should be able to give discounts for whatever reason they want to, even if I don't qualify.

Last edited by Cavalry Doc; 07-07-2012 at 12:26..
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 19:54   #14
High-Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
Well, if you look at the meetings here, disparage anyone with another faith than their own.

But I agree, a private business should not be constrained in such ways. The Government is different. They need constraint.

Private businesses should be able to give discounts for whatever reason they want to, even if I don't qualify.
No doc, not disparage the people, but discuss how religios people are usurping privileges not due to them.

At any rate I agree, the business can do as they wish. I've seen spots who refused to serve cops or members of the military. Their right to do so, our right to publicly ridicule them.
High-Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 21:19   #15
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by High-Gear View Post
No doc, not disparage the people, but discuss how religios people are usurping privileges not due to them.
What privileges are these?

Quote:
At any rate I agree, the business can do as they wish. I've seen spots who refused to serve cops or members of the military. Their right to do so, our right to publicly ridicule them.
Yep.
Old 07-08-2012, 00:21   #16
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
^^^ This. I won't tell you how to run your business if you don't tell me I have to go there.

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

RIP my friends Greg and Florence, see you again on the other side.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

RIP Jeff (23Skidoo) - 1962-2012 and Gloria (Silent_Runner) - 1964-2013
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Lone_Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 00:45   #17
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe View Post
^^^ This. I won't tell you how to run your business if you don't tell me I have to go there.
Darn shame that doesn't apply to healthcare any longer.
Old 07-08-2012, 00:51   #18
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
Darn shame that doesn't apply to healthcare any longer.
Agreed.

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

RIP my friends Greg and Florence, see you again on the other side.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

RIP Jeff (23Skidoo) - 1962-2012 and Gloria (Silent_Runner) - 1964-2013
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Lone_Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:41   #19
AlexHassin

Answers simple, start atheists pancake breakfast ( I lovepancakes!!!), and never go to that restaurant, and discourage other likemindedpeople from going.
AlexHassin is offline   Reply With Quote