SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:57   #1
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Kahr p380 vs S&W Bodyguard

Anyone own either the Kahr P380 or the S&W Bodyguard, or both. Out of these two .380 pocket guns which would you recommend?
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 14:50   #2
greenman19

I carry the Kahr every day and like it. It has real sights but mine shoots low if you line them up. The trigger has a smooth (albeit long) pull, like a revolver.

I have shot the S&W and it is more accurate than it has a right to be, with or without the laser. The drawback on the S&W is the trigger it is god awful hard and gets worse at the end of the stroke. A lighter main spring may solve the problem though.

Either would be a good choice.
greenman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 15:45   #3
Metal Angel

I have only shot the Khar, but it is wonderfully accurate and easy to be accurate with.
Metal Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 16:27   #4
Dexters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo Bagins View Post
Anyone own either the Kahr P380 or the S&W Bodyguard, or both. Out of these two .380 pocket guns which would you recommend?

Search for BG 380 Vs Sig P238 on the forums also. Someone just did a comparison - it is a difficult decision.
Old 07-04-2012, 16:59   #5
neilsmth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexters View Post
Search for BG 380 Vs Sig P238 on the forums also. Someone just did a comparison - it is a difficult decision.
Not really. The Sig is twice the gun at twice the price and they handle the same but with a long trigger pull on the BG.
I have both and on ranges day the BG stays home.

I no longer have any weapons. ;(
neilsmth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 18:40   #6
eddy t

p380 vs bg380

I have both and carry both and have not had a round fail to fire in either gun. 950 rounds through the bg and 450 rounds through the kahr. I bought the bg first.
The kahr is my preference if you are willing to spend the additional money. Better built all around, are more streamline. laser is not really a plus for me on the bg, don't use it at the range.
here are the specs for both:
BG KAHR
L 5.3 4.9
H 4.1 3.9
W .8 .8
BL 2.8 2.5
SR 4.2 4.0 (SIGHT RADIUS)
WT12.3 11.3
TRG 8 5.3

PS... I HAVE TALON GRIPS ON BOTH GUNS, REALLY ENHANCES THE GRIP.

Last edited by eddy t; 07-04-2012 at 18:43.. Reason: MORE INFO
eddy t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 18:43   #7
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsmth View Post
Not really. The Sig is twice the gun at twice the price and they handle the same but with a long trigger pull on the BG.
Funny , I have the Sig P238 and after a month I want to get rid of it. Loaded in a wallet holster that covers the safety its 1 1/2 inches thick and weighs +18 oz loaded. You better off just carrying a PM9 or a Beretta Nano I'm also not that impressed with an 8lb single action trigger, and I was disappointed with the so called Sig quality for a +$600 gun, with only 1 mag and the finish rubbing off the barrel after the first 50 rounds.

Its a pretty looking gun, its fun to shoot, and its reliable, but its not a great pocket gun.
Old 07-04-2012, 18:44   #8
Dexters

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsmth View Post

Not really, The BG is a DAO and the Sig's action is similar to the 1911.

As to price - there is only $150 difference in my area.
Old 07-04-2012, 22:56   #9
Berto
woo woo

I like my BG 380, but it took a little work to get it right.
I was in the house when the house burned down.
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:50   #10
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

Here's my review of the BG380 as well as some P238 comparison pic: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1425826

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Nakanokalronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:18   #11
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakanokalronin View Post
Here's my review of the BG380 as well as some P238 comparison pic: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1425826
Thanks, that is an awesome review. Like you mentioned the Sig was suprisingly heavy for a .380 pocket gun. Don't get me wrong, I like shooting it, but carrying it in the pocket just stinks for me. I tried carrying it around unloaded and its better, so the weight of a Sig 238 unloaded is about the weight of a S&W bodyguard loaded. The Kahr P380 is a little over an ounce lighter than the S&W bodyguard, but I wonder if having a nicer Kahr trigger and shaving an extra ounce is worth the extra +$150 or so in cost.

I was critical of the Bodyguard in the past, but its been out for a while and I'm hoping all the bugs have been fixed.

Last edited by Bilbo Bagins; 07-05-2012 at 12:19..
Old 07-05-2012, 17:45   #12
Boot Stomper

IMO the Kahr has the better trigger over the Smith & Wesson, Bodyguard. The Bodyguard (my father's) I have shot has been reliable. The Kahr 380 is more expensive in my area. The Kahr design seem to be very reliable design.

For me, I would take the Kahr over the Bodyguard.
Boot Stomper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 19:26   #13
Dexters

Quote:
Thanks, that is an awesome review. Like you mentioned the Sig was suprisingly heavy for a .380 pocket gun. Don't get me wrong, I like shooting it, but carrying it in the pocket just stinks for me. I tried carrying it around unloaded and its better, so the weight of a Sig 238 unloaded is about the weight of a S&W bodyguard loaded. The Kahr P380 is a little over an ounce lighter than the S&W bodyguard, but I wonder if having a nicer Kahr trigger and shaving an extra ounce is worth the extra +$150 or so in cost.

I was critical of the Bodyguard in the past, but its been out for a while and I'm hoping all the bugs have been fixed.
check out post #10 in that threat - fully loaded the difference is 2.1 oz.
Old 07-05-2012, 20:48   #14
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexters View Post
check out post #10 in that threat - fully loaded the difference is 2.1 oz.
But when you factor in using a lightweight pocket holster that just covers the trigger vs full sized holster that covers the trigger and manual safety, now your talking 4 to 5 ounces.

Like I mentioned earlier a loaded Sig P238 in leather holster that covers the safety is as thick and heavy as a loaded Kahr PM9/CM9 in a Desantis Nemesis.

Why not buy a Bodyguard or Kahr 380, then trade in the Sig and get a Kahr or Beretta pocket 9mm.

Last edited by Bilbo Bagins; 07-05-2012 at 20:52..
Old 07-05-2012, 21:12   #15
Dexters

Quote:
But when you factor in using a lightweight pocket holster that just covers the trigger vs full sized holster that covers the trigger and manual safety, now your talking 4 to 5 ounces.

Like I mentioned earlier a loaded Sig P238 in leather holster that covers the safety is as thick and heavy as a loaded Kahr PM9/CM9 in a Desantis Nemesis.

Why not buy a Bodyguard or Kahr 380, then trade in the Sig and get a Kahr or Beretta pocket 9mm.
I'm with you that every ounce counts.

I wouldn't go with the new pocket nines. My basic reasoning is that in a stress situation they have two disadvantages then the 380s related to recoil.
1 - Second shot placement & time back on target
2 - Second shot - risk of poor grip and/or limp wrist-ing and possible feeding problems

I think the great grip and isosceles triangle you see on youtube etc. would be difficult in the situations most likely to be encountered.

I think practicing one hand and other stressed grips is important.
Old 07-06-2012, 19:37   #16
popapeach

Sorry guys can't agree about the Kahr I red everything I could on 380's and thought the Kahr would work for me. Right out of the box FTF's but I hung in there The gun shop says got to break it in recommend 250-300 rounds it got better but every once in a while another FTF it was a nice shooter then I took a friend out to the range on a 10-15 degree early winter day and that sucker just kept failing, can't trust it went for a G26 gen 4 heavy, a little but reliable , the recoil is even lighter, I love this Gun
popapeach is offline   Reply With Quote