Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-05-2012, 00:30   #1
SKY70

Sig 556

I'm new to rifles but am very interested if getting an Rifle for sport and self defense. I found a good deal on a Sig Sauer 556 patrol, but don not much about them. Been reading about them but would like to get some feedback from owners of the 556. Is it worth the extra cost? Any issues with them? Would you get one over a comp AR?

Thanks!

Sky
SKY70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:45   #2
WoodenPlank
Who?

IMO, it's not worth the extra cost. Less parts available, the ones you can get are often more expensive, more expensive than an AR, and very little advantage for the cost. I have two good friends than own them, and they both have had hiccups along the way.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:22   #3
WayaX
Lifetime Membership

While I used to be a big proponent of the Sig 556, the quality issues coming out have yet to be addressed and customer service is getting worse as Cohen continues to have Sig dig it's own grave.

Problems unique to the Sig 556:

The quality of the components being used to build the rifles is not held to any standard (like they are in a reputable AR-15); QC is non-existent. The screw-on top rail is known to break off. The knock-off furniture is a baby-step above air-soft quality (Sig touts these as "Swiss style" to confuse people). The Swiss style butt stock has durability issues. The gas-ports are often drilled incorrectly (both holes close to same size) or drilled in reverse. Welds on the receiver are occasionally missing. The bolt has peening issues on the front trunion due to improper machining.

Problems with the 55X family:

Safety is difficult to manipulate without massive paws ( i was lucky on this one). Bolt catch/release design is flimsy at best (when combined with crappy U.S. Sig quality, has been known to break). Sling mounting leave a little to be desired. The rifle system is unproven, despite what Sig advocates would like to believe. The tests that are touted as making it the best or most rugged rifle on the planet mean little; As we saw with the SCAR (which was probably the most tested rifle in history), teething issues occur when fielded that do not show up in the tests. All this being said, a Sans-Swiss 551 is miles ahead of the U.S. Sig 556 rifle. If you find a good deal on a real 551, I wouldn't hesitate.

Bottom Line: Any reputable AR-15, even the lowly S&W M&P Sport, is a better buy than a Sig 556 abomination. If you want a piston, buy an Arsenal AK or SCAR.
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

-Haile Selassie I

Last edited by WayaX; 07-05-2012 at 09:34..
WayaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:04   #4
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

I'm not going to comment on ergonomics too much on a combat-type rifle because it's not high on the list of priorities. However, quality issue is high on the list of priority and the 556 doesn't have it. I see in mine pretty much what Wayax talked about. It's a good thing that I got mine dirt cheap and I kind of knew that I was getting a crappy rifle, but the price was amenable enough. Hindsight being what it is, I should have used the money and bought me a used Daewoo rifle.
Old 07-05-2012, 22:00   #5
SKY70

Thanks for the info. I had been reading about some of those issues and wanted to see what others had to say.
SKY70 is offline   Reply With Quote