Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-05-2012, 20:06   #1
theSteve

Kimber pro & Wilson mags

Blonde question of the evening: Since the pro model of kimber states it's on a "full size" frame even though it has a 4in barrel, can it still take full size aka government size magazines from Wilson combat?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
theSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 20:32   #2
deadite
Groovy.

I assume so.

Old 07-05-2012, 21:31   #3
B_RAD

Yes. You can use any government size mag in a Kimber Pro. 47d or 500 series is what you're looking for.
Old 07-05-2012, 23:33   #4
theSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_RAD View Post
Yes. You can use any government size mag in a Kimber Pro. 47d or 500 series is what you're looking for.
Thank you. Know of any quality 1911 mags or had good experiences with? I ask because i can already tell that the one shipped with my kimber is garbage.

Old 07-05-2012, 23:52   #5
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSteve View Post
Thank you. Know of any quality 1911 mags or had good experiences with? I ask because i can already tell that the one shipped with my kimber is garbage.

Because it's probably the same one that comes with the Colt and Springfield.

These generic mags are either made by Checkmate or Metalform.

Try some Chip McCormick, Mec-Gar, or Trip Research.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:32   #6
TheJ
Lifetime Membership
NRA Life Member

I have McCormick, Wilson, Kimpro and the oe Kimber mags. Beleive it or not, my experience with my Kimber has been the best with my oem Kimber mag and the Kimpro mags.

The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -F. Scott Fitzgerald
TheJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:26   #7
Deriffe

Another vote for Kimpro mags here

NRA Life Member
Glock Armorer
Glock Instructor
Deriffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:04   #8
B_RAD

Quote:

My first choice is Wilson 47D. I've never had any problems with these. The ETM series are just as good if not better from what I've heard. Never used them though. I've used some if the Kim-Pro Tac-Mag(which IIRC are the same as the Chip McCormick mags) in my Kimber and they worked flawlessly. Buds has them on sale from time to time at 18ish$. I keep telling my self to buy a bunch next time. I've had good experience with metal-form and they can be found for cheap. Others swear by Chip McCormick and Trips but I've never used those so... Midway USA should have any of the above listed for sale. The Chip McCormick are on sale for $22.49. I'd buy two just to try them out. I bet they're good. If price is a deciding factor(don't know why it wouldn't be?) I'd go with the ones listed above that can be bought the cheapest. Like i said, I've never had a problem with Wilson so that's what I get but they're $30+ so......

Old 07-06-2012, 10:35   #9
theSteve

Quote:
My first choice is Wilson 47D. I've never had any problems with these. The ETM series are just as good if not better from what I've heard. Never used them though. I've used some if the Kim-Pro Tac-Mag(which IIRC are the same as the Chip McCormick mags) in my Kimber and they worked flawlessly. Buds has them on sale from time to time at 18ish$. I keep telling my self to buy a bunch next time. I've had good experience with metal-form and they can be found for cheap. Others swear by Chip McCormick and Trips but I've never used those so... Midway USA should have any of the above listed for sale. The Chip McCormick are on sale for $22.49. I'd buy two just to try them out. I bet they're good. If price is a deciding factor(don't know why it wouldn't be?) I'd go with the ones listed above that can be bought the cheapest. Like i said, I've never had a problem with Wilson so that's what I get but they're $30+ so......

Thank you for the info. My mentality is... I am already well over $1300 invested in my 1911 with the purchase of the gun and cleaning supplies. Taking into consideration that figure, I'm not going to be cheap when it comes to a key aspect of reliability and function.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:21   #10
B_RAD

Quote:
Thank you for the info. My mentality is... I am already well over $1300 invested in my 1911 with the purchase of the gun and cleaning supplies. Taking into consideration that figure, I'm not going to be cheap when it comes to a key aspect of reliability and function.
Good call. Some prefer mags with no base pad for concealed carry. I don't mind the extra 1/4" or so, so the 47D is what I get. I actually like the extra length since it helps seat the magazine. Enjoy.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:30   #11
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
You don't have to go "cheap", but then you don't have to buy Gucci brand mags to get good ones either.

To me Wilson is way overrated. Maybe not overpriced because they sure are prettily made, but they are overrated. What's the big deal? The mag body is flimsy and the mag spring strength is suspected. Plastic follower?

i bought into the the Wilson Combat hype too, probably have close to twenty of those suckers floating around. I know that I gotta have at least ten in .45ACP and the rest spreaded out between 9mm, .38 Super and 10mm. At least the .45ACP ones feed well. I can't trust my life to the rest.

I'm going to get me some Tripp Research mags next and see if the hype matches the product AND if the price justifies it as well.

So far, I'm happy with Chip McCormick and Mec-Gar in all calibers. Not to mention the Mec-Gars for other pistol marques too.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:49   #12
B_RAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
You don't have to go "cheap", but then you don't have to buy Gucci brand mags to get good ones either.

To me Wilson is way overrated. Maybe not overpriced because they sure are prettily made, but they are overrated. What's the big deal? The mag body is flimsy and the mag spring strength is suspected. Plastic follower?

i bought into the the Wilson Combat hype too, probably have close to twenty of those suckers floating around. I know that I gotta have at least ten in .45ACP and the rest spreaded out between 9mm, .38 Super and 10mm. At least the .45ACP ones feed well. I can't trust my life to the rest.
There is some Wilson hype going on for sure but I feel the mags are deserving of this hype. Like the above says at least for the .45 mags. I live about an hour and a half from Wilson and I've shot with a lot of guys who shoot expensive non .45 Wilson's and other 1911's. I've not heard the same praise for the 9mm Wilson mags that I've heard for the 47Ds. Supposedly, the 9mm mags made in the last couple years had out of spec feed lips or something like that and that was causing failures. At the time I heard this( a year or so ago )the problem was well know and being remedied and faulty mags were being replaced by Wilson. I would imagine this is not a problem with new 9mm mags? Anyways , when it comes to 1911's my opinion is for carry or SD/HD use only government size 1911's chambered in .45 acp However, I have and would again carry commander and even officer sized but just feel that the full size are more reliable, at least in theory.

As for the plastic follower, I've shot thousands (10k+) of rounds thru 47Ds in IDPA and never had a problem with one ever. I don't baby them. Dropping them when reloading, stepping on them when moving. Never seen any issue with the plastic follower. And I was sceptical at first about the plastic follower but now I feel that's partially why they work so well. Wilson tries to sell that the plastic follower is "self lubercating", whatever that means.

I carry Glocks 90% of the time but if I carry a 1911 it's loaded with a Wilson 47D.

I should send them a bill for advertising.

Last edited by B_RAD; 07-06-2012 at 13:03..
B_RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 13:18   #13
B_RAD

To contradict some of what I said above. I would carry a Dan Wesson Guardian. 9mm and a commander.

Glock2740 has one he's gonna sell me for $600!!!!!!

Last edited by B_RAD; 07-06-2012 at 13:22..
Old 07-06-2012, 14:08   #14
theSteve

Quote:
There is some Wilson hype going on for sure but I feel the mags are deserving of this hype. Like the above says at least for the .45 mags. I live about an hour and a half from Wilson and I've shot with a lot of guys who shoot expensive non .45 Wilson's and other 1911's. I've not heard the same praise for the 9mm Wilson mags that I've heard for the 47Ds. Supposedly, the 9mm mags made in the last couple years had out of spec feed lips or something like that and that was causing failures. At the time I heard this( a year or so ago )the problem was well know and being remedied and faulty mags were being replaced by Wilson. I would imagine this is not a problem with new 9mm mags? Anyways , when it comes to 1911's my opinion is for carry or SD/HD use only government size 1911's chambered in .45 acp However, I have and would again carry commander and even officer sized but just feel that the full size are more reliable, at least in theory.

As for the plastic follower, I've shot thousands (10k+) of rounds thru 47Ds in IDPA and never had a problem with one ever. I don't baby them. Dropping them when reloading, stepping on them when moving. Never seen any issue with the plastic follower. And I was sceptical at first about the plastic follower but now I feel that's partially why they work so well. Wilson tries to sell that the plastic follower is "self lubercating", whatever that means.

I carry Glocks 90% of the time but if I carry a 1911 it's loaded with a Wilson 47D.

I should send them a bill for advertising.

Well make sure you ask about your commission because I am sold based upon your sales pitch and experience. For the time being, I'm stopping by a local gun retailer after work today and grabbing a kimber tac pro mag. Hopefully it's a reliable $30 dollar purchase.
Old 07-06-2012, 14:24   #15
B_RAD

Quote:
Well make sure you ask about your commission because I am sold based upon your sales pitch and experience. For the time being, I'm stopping by a local gun retailer after work today and grabbing a kimber tac pro mag. Hopefully it's a reliable $30 dollar purchase.
I would think if thy have the Kim Pro they would have the 47D. $30 is a little much IMO for the Kim Pro but I that's all they have I'd get one until you could get what you want.

Also, you may want to wait for others to chime in. Specifically bac1023 and glock2740 as well as a few others. I know enough to know these guys know more than I when it comes to 1911's. So for now just buy one. They may change your mind as well as mine.

Last edited by B_RAD; 07-06-2012 at 14:31..
Old 07-06-2012, 22:00   #16
Rinspeed
JAFO

Quote:

Checkmate makes the Tac Pro mags for Kimber. You can buy the Checkmate mag for around $20-22 from Top Gun Supply.

You run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking, racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but you’re older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death…

Last edited by Rinspeed; 07-06-2012 at 22:00..
Rinspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 22:25   #17
glock2740
Gun lover.

Quote:
To contradict some of what I said above. I would carry a Dan Wesson Guardian. 9mm and a commander.

Glock2740 has one he's gonna sell me for $600!!!!!!
I musta missed that memo.
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 22:29   #18
glock2740
Gun lover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post

I'm going to get me some Tripp Research mags next and see if the hype matches the product AND if the price justifies it as well.

So far, I'm happy with Chip McCormick and Mec-Gar in all calibers. Not to mention the Mec-Gars for other pistol marques too.
Send those junky Wilson mags to me. I'll disspose of them properly. I only use Wilson and Tripp Cobras. I have some Chip McCormick mags that have been pretty good too.
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 23:34   #19
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock2740 View Post
Send those junky Wilson mags to me. I'll disspose of them properly. I only use Wilson and Tripp Cobras. I have some Chip McCormick mags that have been pretty good too.
I paid good money for it, so I'm not going to just give it away. However, I'll sell you for 2/3 the price.
Old 07-08-2012, 17:57   #20
fasteddie565
Combat Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
I have McCormick, Wilson, Kimpro and the oe Kimber mags. Beleive it or not, my experience with my Kimber has been the best with my oem Kimber mag and the Kimpro mags.
I agree. My 47D's do not drop free from my Kimbers. Chip McCormicks work well, but the KimPro mags do the best. I am getting ready to rebuild half of them this month due to the amount of use they receive. I bought 2 x 7 rds and 2 x 8 rds last month for $80.00. Me Likey.