GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 12:01   #1
Polak
(pō'lāk')
 
Polak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 1,869
Kimber Tactical Custom II .45 ACP and other options?

I really really really like this 1911. Are there any other options for the $1100?

1911 Forums
__________________
GLOCKS:
Glock 21SF
Glock 22
Glock 27Gen 4
Polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 23:13   #2
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member
 
Travclem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lubbock, TX
Posts: 6,445
The Springfield TRP is in that price range and a far sight more gun. My FIL has the Tactical Pro II and it wont go 100 rounds between FTFs. It's a shame because it is a pretty cool gun... light weight too. His other 1911 is a Taurus PT1911 and he carries that over the Tactical Pro if that tells you anything.
__________________
Sent from a payphone in a whorehouse in Mexico.
__________________

Last edited by Travclem; 07-07-2012 at 23:15..
Travclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:02   #3
fasteddie565
Combat Diver
 
fasteddie565's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Farm, but not THE Farm
Posts: 897
I have had two tactical II series pistols not to mention over a dozen Kimbers. After buying the first one, I developed a "Break in" process that works flawlessly. Its patented, so do not share it with anyone.

Disassemble, put a thin coat of cheap white Colgate toothpaste on on the rails and the slide, the kind you get at hotels etc.

Re-assemble, run the action about 200 times, disassemble, clean and repeat.

Clean a last time, lubricate and voila

After the first go round, you should start to see some high / shiny spots begin to show. They are more prevalent in a gun with coatings (as opposed to a SS or Alloy and Stainless gun), these are often the cause of issues with new Kimbers.

I just bought a NIB Gold Combat yesterday and performed this very same procedure. The first 40 test fire rds were flawless, and they were reloads.

That said, I owned the gun you mentioned above, the frame is alloy on a steel slide. What are your intentions for it? Another Kimber no longer made is called a Gold Guardian. Only 300 made, but a beautiful stainless gun, hand finished with the same features as above minus the coatings. They can be had for the same $1100.00

If you seek something more economical, look at the Ruger. For $700, its not a bad pistol at all.

Whichever Kimber you buy, try the procedures above and I am confident it will alleviate the break in issues most Kimber owners have.
__________________
"If you let a man keep his dignity, you can kick him in the balls and he'll wash your car"

Last edited by fasteddie565; 07-08-2012 at 06:17..
fasteddie565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:22   #4
CDR_Glock
Senior Member
 
CDR_Glock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddie565 View Post
I have had two tactical II series pistols not to mention over a dozen Kimbers. After buying the first one, I developed a "Break in" process that works flawlessly. Its patented, so do not share it with anyone.

Disassemble, put a thin coat of cheap white Colgate toothpaste on on the rails and the slide, the kind you get at hotels etc.

Re-assemble, run the action about 200 times, disassemble, clean and repeat.

Clean a last time, lubricate and voila

After the first go round, you should start to see some high / shiny spots begin to show. They are more prevalent in a gun with coatings (as opposed to a SS or Alloy and Stainless gun), these are often the cause of issues with new Kimbers.
I have never heard of doing this. Does it work for any pistol?

Sounds like using a fine grit to polish the rails would be similar.
__________________
Lifetime Member of the NRA

My YouTube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/titaniummd

Last edited by CDR_Glock; 07-08-2012 at 09:23..
CDR_Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:59   #5
fasteddie565
Combat Diver
 
fasteddie565's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Farm, but not THE Farm
Posts: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post
I have never heard of doing this. Does it work for any pistol?

Sounds like using a fine grit to polish the rails would be similar.


That's exactly it, but a grit so fine as to only remove coatings and polish metal. I have also heard of someone using a metal polish with similar abrasive factors.

In theory, is should work on any gun with tight tolerances between rail and slide. I just traded for a new Gold Combat yesterday. I performed the aforementioned process on it prior to firing the first round. After 200 rds of reloads, it runs like a scalded ape humping a singer sewing machine. Not one issue. Despite the price tag of such a pistol, I am hesitant to say it would have run as well had I not worked the fast eddie magic.
__________________
"If you let a man keep his dignity, you can kick him in the balls and he'll wash your car"

Last edited by fasteddie565; 07-08-2012 at 13:01..
fasteddie565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 13:24   #6
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 87,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travclem View Post
The Springfield TRP is in that price range and a far sight more gun.
Where are you getting a TRP for $1100 these days?

Used, I assume.
__________________
.

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 21:31   #7
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member
 
Travclem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lubbock, TX
Posts: 6,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Where are you getting a TRP for $1100 these days?

Used, I assume.
Well maybe retail is a little more $.


Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
__________________
Sent from a payphone in a whorehouse in Mexico.
__________________
Travclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:23.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,291
368 Members
923 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42