SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:23   #1
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Conceal-carry permit holder arrested (OH)

http://m.newstalkradiowhio.com/news/...rrested/nPpFm/
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:37   #2
ithaca_deerslayer

That's strange one. Wonder if that will stick.

Of course seeing him move his apparently legally carried gun around kinda conflicts with the tinted window reason for the stop in the first place
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:58   #3
LoadToadBoss
IYAAYWOT

I don't see the problem. Didn't Ohio change that silly law to allow CC permit holders to keep their firearm concealed while driving? No "plain view" required?

"Government cannot deny its citizens a right on the off chance that right might be abused." --Unknown
LoadToadBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:04   #4
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

You love to stir up this stuff up, don't you.

The subject of this incident lives in Ohio. He knew, or should have known, the state law(s) by which he was permitted to carry a concealed firearm. To wit, Ohio 2923.16 (E):

'No person who has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code ....... shall do any of the following:'

'(4) Knowingly have contact with the loaded handgun by touching it with the person's hands or fingers in the motor vehicle at any time after the law enforcement officer begins approaching and before the law enforcement officer leaves, unless the person removes, attempts to remove, grasps, holds, or has contact with the loaded handgun pursuant to and in accordance with directions given by the law enforcement officer.'

Every time I read about one of these episodes I have to wonder to myself, 'Doesn't anybody understand AND obey the law, anymore?' 'Have we become an entirely feel good society of mindless, 'obamanations'?

First, the guy in Florida with his pants falling down and his pistol illegally exposed. Now this guy. The both of them made applications for concealed carry firearm permits; and neither one of them went on to behave as he had originally agreed with the state. What do you want me to do? Feel offended, incensed, or sorry for them?

They both broke simple straightforward state laws that they had previously agreed to obey. They both got what they deserved. That's, 'Why' we have laws. In fact, that's why you've got a job - A job which, apparently, you don't think very much of.

Last edited by Arc Angel; 07-08-2012 at 08:06..
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:12   #5
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
... To wit, Ohio 2923.16 (E):

'No person who has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code ....... shall do any of the following:'

'(4) Knowingly have contact with the loaded handgun by touching it with the person's hands or fingers in the motor vehicle at any time after the law enforcement officer begins approaching and before the law enforcement officer leaves, unless the person removes, attempts to remove, grasps, holds, or has contact with the loaded handgun pursuant to and in accordance with directions given by the law enforcement officer.'

Hmm an attempt to codify common sense??
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:32   #6
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Well, yeah! I'd say you're right. There ARE smarter things for a driver to do when the police are walking up to his vehicle. I mean, let's face it: That's a drug dealer's move.
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:51   #7
ChicagoZman

Am guessing he was looking for a quicker draw from the lap than he could get from his holster. What other reason would someone have for doing such a thing?

Arc is right. Conduct yourself in accordance with the law and you'll have no issues.

What's his defense going to be..."I didn't knowingly move my gun, it was simply an instinctive part of my training to prepare to shoot an officer"?
Glocks: 17, 17L, 22, 22C, 23, 24C, 27, 34
ChicagoZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:56   #8
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Ohio has always had a little "stupid" sprinkled into their gun laws.

Regardless...............

Carry Issues

That was a VERY short story in the OP link. I'm sure there are some interesting details yet to be revealed.
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:11   #9
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoZman View Post
Am guessing he was looking for a quicker draw from the lap than he could get from his holster. What other reason would someone have for doing such a thing?

Arc is right. Conduct yourself in accordance with the law and you'll have no issues.

What's his defense going to be..."I didn't knowingly move my gun, it was simply an instinctive part of my training to prepare to shoot an officer"?
It has to do with Ohio requiring you to have your gun concealed out of the car, and plainly visible while in the car. Even partially covered can land you in the back of the cruiser. Admittedly, this is second hand info from twin brother that carries in OH, I was going to go visit this summer, but plans got changed, otherwise I'd be up on current requirements.

I thought there were some recent changes to that, any current Ohio Residents out there with updated info?
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:50   #10
Rcsteffen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
It has to do with Ohio requiring you to have your gun concealed out of the car, and plainly visible while in the car. Even partially covered can land you in the back of the cruiser. Admittedly, this is second hand info from twin brother that carries in OH, I was going to go visit this summer, but plans got changed, otherwise I'd be up on current requirements.

I thought there were some recent changes to that, any current Ohio Residents out there with updated info?
Actually, you're neither required to have your gun concealed out of the car (open carry is legal in OH), nor in plain view in the car (as long as you have a ccw, it can be concealed). There are specific requirements for carrying in the car without a ccw.
Rcsteffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:03   #11
Gary1911A1

Must of been drunk or just plain stupid to be doing what he did. Imagine yourself as the LE Officer seeing him do this.
Gary1911A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:49   #12
jph02

Seriously? Put your hands on a gun with LEO approaching? Dude, here's your sign.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
Must of been drunk or just plain stupid to be doing what he did. Imagine yourself as the LE Officer seeing him do this.
That thought crossed my mind since the article also said he was driving eratically. In MI, .02 blood alcohol (driving or not) will cause you problems with your CPL.
jph02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 15:10   #13
ventura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post

Open carry is legal in Ohio. The requirement for the gun to be visible in the car was changed, concealed in the car is ok now... but some people do not keep up to date on the changes... could be the case here??
ventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 15:20   #14
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
That's strange one. Wonder if that will stick.

Of course seeing him move his apparently legally carried gun around kinda conflicts with the tinted window reason for the stop in the first place
How is that?
Do you have alot of experience in this area?
I do and you can see them moving around the car when you approach.
Day and night you just have to know where to put the spotlight at night.
Old 07-11-2012, 15:24   #15
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem like Me View Post
How is that?
Do you have alot of experience in this area?
I do and you can see them moving around the car when you approach.
Day and night you just have to know where to put the spotlight at night.
I have 0 experience, I just thought it was a funny seemingly contradiction.
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 15:43   #16
Redheadhunter21

He should have gotten darker tints.... And if your gonna mess with the gun do that right when you get in the car
Redheadhunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 16:13   #17
Stevekozak
Returning video

Very bad idea to put hand on gun when being approached by LEO. I suspect, however, that he was trying to it in plain view as he thought it was supposed to be. Bad news, Charlie!!
Old 07-11-2012, 18:46   #18
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

You would be surprised what we can see walking up to a car..especially at night when you angle the spot light just right into the side view mirror ...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 07-11-2012, 19:14   #19
R4lf

Really?! Maybe he should have been more worried about the joint in his mouth then fondling his gun. The last thing I want to do is move around in my vehicle while an LEO is approaching, just a bad idea. You know you're in trouble, just sit still and don't make things worse.
R4lf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 19:56   #20
SIGMA 40
Grits and Gravy

I was pulled over last night, the first time since gaining my conceal carry permit...Per my instructions from my CC class, I left my hands at 10 n 2 and announced my permit and the fact I had a loaded gun...I followed the officers instructions and was let off with a warning...Moral of the story, use some damn sense and never move until instructed...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
SIGMA 40 is offline   Reply With Quote