SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-10-2012, 18:10   #1
Illini38

Going 9mm

Mas and others,

So I've got a question for you. Recently after buying my first house, ammo price has become more of a concern than it used to be. I've currently got a nice stock of handguns and am thinking about thinning out my collection a bit and selling a Glock 22 and a Glock 30, and purchasing a single Glock 19. After going down the .40 path, I've really realized I don't enjoy shooting it too much. I like many others find it snappy and am less accurate than with 9mm. By contrast I love the 45 but the ammo is so damn expensive compared to 9.

I've read a lot of your stuff and the work of other serious gun buffs through the years and it leads me to believe many of the overarching concerns surrounding the effectiveness of 9mm rounds that were so prevalent 20 yrs ago are no longer relevant. What are your thoughts today on the merits of the 9 in its best loadings (either the Gold Dot 124 gr 9mm+P, Corbon 9mm 115 grain +P+ or the really fancy 147 grain loads like HST or Ranger-T) in comparison to top 40 and 45 loads?
Illini38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:12   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Reading between the lines of your post, it seems that you recognize the fact that the smaller the caliber, the fewer effective rounds there are for it. In times of ammo shortage, this is a factor that favors the larger calibers.

If you went for the 9mm for the understandable reasons of less recoil and less ammo cost, IMHO you'd be wise to stock up on the higher velocity loads you mentioned, such as the 124 +P Gold Dot. On the lower velocity end, anyone who believes a 147 grain .355 caliber subsonic bullet at 980 feet per second is going to have the same effect as an identically-designed 230 grain .451 diameter bullet at similar velocity (i.e., .45 ACP +P) is kidding himself.

Wishing you best of luck whatever you decide,

Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:15   #3
Illini38

Thanks very much for your response, Mas. I've got some decisions to make.

Based on what you hear these days, are 9mm rounds still falling short in fights more often then the 40 and 45? Also with respect to the 147 grain loads, I mentioned the HST and Ranger-T and I meant in non-subsonic as I have read several of your posts on this topic. In your opinion, how do today's non-subsonic loads in 147 grain compare to the Gold Dot 124 grain +P or the earlier mentioned Corbon?

Again I very much appreciate you sharing your knowledge on the forum.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:16   #4
Illini38

Thanks very much for your response, Mas. I've got some decisions to make.

Based on what you hear these days, are 9mm rounds still falling short in fights more often then the 40 and 45? Also with respect to the 147 grain loads, I mentioned the HST and Ranger-T and I meant in non-subsonic as I have read several of your posts on this topic. In your opinion, how do today's non-subsonic loads in 147 grain compare to the Gold Dot 124 grain +P or the earlier mentioned Corbon?

Again I very much appreciate you sharing your knowledge on the forum.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:47   #5
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Illini, I don't have any street feedback on 147 grain +P. You might want to try Caliber Corner on that.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:15   #6
Illini38

Mas,

Thanks for taking the time. Have a great week.

Take Care,
Byron