GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-12-2012, 20:45   #1
maxnight

Experienced gun owner needs some new gun advice.

I have been around guns all my life and I am a devout Glock man being actually trained by Glock Austrian reps. 3 decades ago and been a believer ever since. Always reliable, forgiving, etc.

As many know they are not quite the "precision" or finese weapon some handguns are known to be but precision is always due in part to the person holding the Glock as well.

Anyway, if I were to sway for a smoother more precise CCW what would you recommended based on the following wants:

1. No less than .380 caliber
2. Nominal recoil
3. Decent capacity
4. Possible laser but not large rail or trigger attachments maybe CT designs built into grip
5. Able to carry in a COMP-TAC style holster in SOB
6. Safety.... prefer ambidextrous or adaptable for LEFT hander

I have not kept up with some of the new ones out there and would like so ideas to focus on.

Thanks for your help.
maxnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 21:22   #2
BenjiEDF

I don't really understand what you are asking for. What does a smoother and more precise CCW mean? What's wrong with a Glock 26 9mm with the 3.5lb Ghost Trigger installed? Word on the street is that the Walther PPQ has "the best" trigger of any polymer frame gun yet might want to test that the next time you're at a gun shop.

"Life is good" ~Hickok45
BenjiEDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 21:33   #3
Shark1007

Colt New Agent 1911 with CT grips.
Shark1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 21:38   #4
collim1
Shower Time!

I dont personally own any Glocks at this time, but have in the past and respect them for being reliable and accurate guns. When my sister, a beginner, wanted to buy a handgun I recommended a g17 and think that was a good choice for her.

That being said, I love Sigs. I think everyone should own a Sig 22x series gun.

I love my P220 in .45acp. It is my favorite shooter.

The CZ75 is a real sleeper, and a great value for the price.

Any 1911 GI style gun is fun also. There is no limit to how much you can spend on a 1911, but I prefer the GI style guns.

The Beretta 92 is also a must have.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 21:41   #5
JimBianchi
CLM Number 25
Da Da

My G26 has a clean breaking trigger, smooth even pull, reliable to a fault, parts, sights holster are as available as sunshine is in Vegas.

My Kahr K9 and MK9 are prettier, but have longer triggers and are both single stack making it easier to carry but with less rounds.

I am not sure what you need or want?
SAF

The scariest words in the English language: I'm from the government and I'm here to help! President Ronald Reagan
JimBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 21:55   #6
CDR_Glock

Walther PPS 9mm
Sig Sauer P238 380
Sig Sauer P938 9mm
Beretta Nano 9mm
Springfield Arms XDS 45 ACP
S&W Shield 9mm
Kahr PM9
Kahr P380
Keltec PF9
Smith 442 38+P
Kimber Solo 9mm

My YouTube Channel:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
CDR_Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 22:03   #7
maxnight

Sigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post
I dont personally own any Glocks at this time, but have in the past and respect them for being reliable and accurate guns. When my sister, a beginner, wanted to buy a handgun I recommended a g17 and think that was a good choice for her.

That being said, I love Sigs. I think everyone should own a Sig 22x series gun.

I love my P220 in .45acp. It is my favorite shooter.

The CZ75 is a real sleeper, and a great value for the price.

Any 1911 GI style gun is fun also. There is no limit to how much you can spend on a 1911, but I prefer the GI style guns.

The Beretta 92 is also a must have.
I have thought about what BENJI stated above about putting the 3.5 trigger on my Glock but have not done that yet.

I have never owned a Sig but always wanted to based on their reputation. I guess one thing that always concerned me were the tight tolerences is that correct? Are they sensitive to dirt or any brand off the shelf ammo?

That is one thing about the Glock you can drop it in a mudhole or put any round in it and it will fire which makes it a great weapon. Its hard to explain I guess after being a Glock person for so long I was just wanting a little change with a handgun that was even more precise and felt good in the hand with an excellent reputation and Sig is one as many others of course too.
maxnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 22:23   #8
FLglockdude

Springfield EMP
FLglockdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 15:40   #9
GlockFish
Floyd

How about a revolver like a Ruger SP101 or S&W 642? Or is 5 rounds of 38+p not enough?
They don't really need a safety because the trigger is pretty heavy.
or dial 800-NRA-3888 and request to be placed on the "Do Not Promote" list.
GlockFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 16:44   #10
Bruce M

Not exactly sure what you are seeking but as far as guns that may be a bit more accurate and a bit better machined and finished than is a Glock here is a good thread http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1210523
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 18:32   #11
collim1
Shower Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnight View Post
I have thought about what BENJI stated above about putting the 3.5 trigger on my Glock but have not done that yet.

I have never owned a Sig but always wanted to based on their reputation. I guess one thing that always concerned me were the tight tolerences is that correct? Are they sensitive to dirt or any brand off the shelf ammo?

That is one thing about the Glock you can drop it in a mudhole or put any round in it and it will fire which makes it a great weapon. Its hard to explain I guess after being a Glock person for so long I was just wanting a little change with a handgun that was even more precise and felt good in the hand with an excellent reputation and Sig is one as many others of course too.
Been carrying a P226 on duty for many years now. It has been through mud, rain, dust, and asphalt highway. It has always been a reliable gun.

They do have tighter tolerances and as a result they prefer to be run wet. As long as they have a little lube on the rails they are just as reliable as Glocks or any other handgun out there.

I run grease on the rails, it doesn't cook off or run like liquid oil. A dab of grease in each rail will keep it running for 1k rounds or more.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 21:15   #12
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

Quote:
I have been around guns all my life and I am a devout Glock man being actually trained by Glock Austrian reps. 3 decades ago and been a believer ever since. Always reliable, forgiving, etc.

As many know they are not quite the "precision" or finese weapon some handguns are known to be but precision is always due in part to the person holding the Glock as well.

Anyway, if I were to sway for a smoother more precise CCW what would you recommended based on the following wants:

2. Nominal recoil
3. Decent capacity
4. Possible laser but not large rail or trigger attachments maybe CT designs built into grip

I have not kept up with some of the new ones out there and would like so ideas to focus on.

Thanks for your help.
Smith and Wesson M&P Compact 9mm is what you are seeking sir. That's closest thing I can think of at the moment that meets most all of your requests. Or there is always the USP Compact line from H&K...or for something completely different, aluminum frame 1911 commander size in 9mm?

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.

Last edited by HKLovingIT; 07-13-2012 at 21:40..
HKLovingIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 21:40   #13
jhmayhem

I don't know why, but a HKP2000 was what came to mind when I read your post.
jhmayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:07   #14
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

M&P 9 Compact with or without the manual safety.

A M&P Shield would also do for a thinner piece.

Carrying SOB is asking for a hospital visit or a disarm, but that's just me.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:53   #15
AWGD8
Sr.Glocker39OD

Quote:

2. Nominal recoil
3. Decent capacity

Thanks for your help.
Sig Sauer P938 ! (Case Closed)

Had Glock 35 OD / Glock 27/ Ruger LCR 357/ Sig Sauer 522 OD / Glock 39 OD

Last edited by AWGD8; 07-14-2012 at 07:54..
AWGD8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 18:52   #16
WarEagle32

Sig 290. You can go pure pocket with 6+1 mag, or 8+1 mag for CCW. Versatile, affordable, and factory Siglite night sights standard. It will eat any +P ammo! Give the 290 a hard look. Besides my Gen 4 26 it is my favorite small pistol!
WarEagle32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 21:12   #17
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:

Anyway, if I were to sway for a smoother more precise CCW
Nothing wrong with getting a different gun for the fun of it, but what do you mean by "precision" in this context?

Do mean the ability to shoot accurately, or something else?
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 21:36   #18
Graybar100

I have Glock 23 and just bought a S&W M&P Shield 9mm. The Shield is very light and comfortable to carry.
Graybar100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 00:34   #19
Rustin

Ruger LCR for CC. Incredibly light, reliable and accurate. Holds only five rounds but that shouldn't be a drawback.
Rustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:50   #20
rfd339

Send a message via Yahoo to rfd339
Quote:

I have never owned a Sig but always wanted to based on their reputation. I guess one thing that always concerned me were the tight tolerances is that correct? Are they sensitive to dirt or any brand off the shelf ammo?

That is one thing about the Glock you can drop it in a mud hole or put any round in it and it will fire which makes it a great weapon. Its hard to explain I guess after being a Glock person for so long I was just wanting a little change with a handgun that was even more precise and felt good in the hand with an excellent reputation and Sig is one as many others of course too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockFish View Post
How about a revolver like a Ruger SP101 or S&W 642? Or is 5 rounds of 38+p not enough?
They don't really need a safety because the trigger is pretty heavy.
I added the same setup as my stock G35 to my G27 and love it . It has been one of my pistols in my carry rotation , besides my P239/DAK 40sw that eats everything I feed it and SW642 which is my favorite all time pocket carry.

G27
General Firearms Forum

P239/DAK 40sw
General Firearms Forum

SW642
General Firearms Forum

Last edited by rfd339; 07-15-2012 at 01:52..
rfd339 is offline   Reply With Quote