Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-13-2012, 20:24   #1
SARDG

Dawsonville, GA 2012 Debriefing & Photo Thread

Please post your stories and photos here.

Danny's away for his birthday, so I started the thread...
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 20:48   #2
SARDG

I'll start...

Roadkill was correct - the ranges drain very well. Everything is in good shape. I have no idea where all that water went, but no mud or standing water at all at the stages I looked at.

I've forgotten how many preregistered... 400+ though.

There was an RO briefing this afternoon by Scott G. and then the ROs who were there all shot. I shot 3 Divisions but will still use RO Bucks and shoot UNL and MajorSub, probably on Sunday. Nothing remarkable for me but SubCompact was my best Division so far.

Tomorrow is another RO brief. I should be ROing the 'M' at the top of the hill tomorrow.

Kitty
Old 07-14-2012, 14:57   #3
SCC
Member Me

Send a message via Skype™ to SCC
was there today and missed you !!! great match and want to thank all the ro's and glock for such a great time ...
SCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 15:21   #4
triggerjerker

sorry

Last edited by triggerjerker; 07-14-2012 at 15:22..
triggerjerker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 15:30   #5
Njanear
Nagant-ophile

The ranges were in great shape - the drive to the 'parking area' was mighty rough though due to some of the ruts - when taken carefully, it was fully fully do-able in a big truck (I did see some little cars bouncing all around).

It was a great time. We got there at 8:20 and they started cranking away at 9:10 on our Five To Glock - we finished around 11:45. We did learn from Griffin - put your names on the sign-in rosters as soon as you can and let the squadding process work for you. We shot the 5TG first (they used an interesting X configuration - 2 up close, 1 in the center and 2 in the back), then Glock M (with 1 standing steel vs. 3 drop-down poppers) and then a clean run on the Plates. I didn't set the world on fire but did OK - I met my goal of no Mikes and set a new personal best of 87 with my G17.

The ROs did a really good job on the squadding, running the stages and such (to include pasting where needed). Paster activity was a little lacking at times but at one point, it was refreshing to see the 5TG RO turn to some fellows that were kicked back in the shade and 'ask' for their assistance in pasting - they all jumped up and gang-rushed the field.

Although I may not win any prizes for my shooting, we lucked out at the Glock Games - my son won a keychain, a coffee cup and a travel mug while I walked away with a neck lanyard and a certificate good for 1 year of GSSF.
GlockTalk Clubs- #10 Georgia Glocker; #3745 Bull Dawgs; #600: 10 Ring, .40S&W, Sub Club, Long Slide, Niners, Wheelhouse, MilSurp, Rimfire, 1911, Black Rifle
Njanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 15:36   #6
Njanear
Nagant-ophile

Forgot to mention that Glock had samples of all of their GEN4s today for everyone to fondle. I finally got the chance to hold the GEN4 G20 & GEN4 G34 and like them both (but can't get either right now ). They were also handing out free keychains, patches and stickers - another nice act from my favorite handgun manufacturer.

PS: No Glock carbines on display though.
GlockTalk Clubs- #10 Georgia Glocker; #3745 Bull Dawgs; #600: 10 Ring, .40S&W, Sub Club, Long Slide, Niners, Wheelhouse, MilSurp, Rimfire, 1911, Black Rifle
Njanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 16:27   #7
SARDG

We ran 424 through today. There are 557 total registered, but we should add a few tomorrow. Basically a gorgeous day. Sun was out all day and it got a little toasty in the afternoon but there was a cool breeze all day. Started raining a bit at 430 but the sun stayed out and we were all finishing up anyway.

I worked M in the AM and 5 in the PM. Both were running very well I thought. One RO on another 5 (who attended the Friday RO briefing) apparently got creative and had tons of entries on the tree (doubling up, rather than one entry per clip for 12 maximum) AND had the BIG STACK of scoresheets in his hand. One of our favorite GTers here snitched on him (not me, BTW) and Scott went down with the range MD to square him away. I just don't get it... 30 people can sit in on the same RO briefing and somebody will always come away with a better way to do squadding. WRONG! And I know everything was covered because I was a genuine PITA and kept raising my hand in that Friday briefing to make certain some of these issues we talk about on GT were explained.

Saw lots of old folks, er... old friends and met a few new folks from GT. I'll shoot UNL and MajorSub tomorrow but it should be a bit less busy.

Kitty
Old 07-14-2012, 16:38   #8
S.Kargoh

It just doesn't work. At some point, it has to be "called".

_/\^--__________________________( flatline)

:P

Last edited by S.Kargoh; 07-14-2012 at 16:39..
S.Kargoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 16:47   #9
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCC View Post
was there today and missed you !!! great match and want to thank all the ro's and glock for such a great time ...
I was avoiding you Steve.... Pretty much at M 'til lunch and 5 after - both near the top of the hill.

During some of these matches, one can go for the entire weekend without seeing folks that you know are there.
Old 07-14-2012, 16:54   #10
freeman101

Ok; the range was Awesome! I shot my first GSSF match today; Now i'm home but confused. How should I unpack my range bag? Is there a particular order you folks have found that works best for you? If so, please share your secrets.
freeman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 16:57   #11
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Kargoh View Post
It just doesn't work. At some point, it has to be "called".

_/\^--__________________________( flatline)

:P
We had only one RO insist on doing it his way. I heard of no other issues. You lead folks to water, you buy them books, you send them to school... if all that doesn't work maybe we need a lifetime RO ban for those individuals because there is always the chance that a lot of other important information was also missed in the briefing.

I believe everything is on track now, but this brings up something important - if, as a shooter, you notice something that needs fixing... go find a GSSF Rangemaster and ask them to fix it.
Old 07-14-2012, 17:00   #12
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeman101 View Post
Ok; the range was Awesome! I shot my first GSSF match today; Now i'm home but confused. How should I unpack my range bag? Is there a particular order you folks have found that works best for you? If so, please share your secrets.
Just pick it up and hold it upside down over the open dishwasher and dump everything out. This will give you the opportunity to run all that stuff through with your dishes and get it real clean for your next match.
Old 07-14-2012, 17:31   #13
bryandover

I shot today and thought everything went pretty well with a good staff of ROs on hand. The best I could do was 40.37 in comp. On my last run on the 5tg in Major Sub I shot a D and while looking at it I shot another D on the next target that turned a good 33 into a ok 39. Oh well is anybody ever totally happy with their scores when they leave. All the stages was set up in cowboy towns and made me want a pair of chaps and a ten gallon hat.

Bryan
bryandover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 17:50   #14
emtjr928

Look forward to being there tomorrow morning!
emtjr928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 18:43   #15
S.Kargoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryandover View Post
I shot today and thought everything went pretty well with a good staff of ROs on hand. The best I could do was 40.37 in comp. On my last run on the 5tg in Major Sub I shot a D and while looking at it I shot another D on the next target that turned a good 33 into a ok 39. Oh well is anybody ever totally happy with their scores when they leave. All the stages was set up in cowboy towns and made me want a pair of chaps and a ten gallon hat.

Bryan

40.37?????

Wow! I'd be happy with that for 2 outof the three stages.

Crazy fast.
S.Kargoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 21:12   #16
PM720

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Kargoh View Post
40.37?????

Wow! I'd be happy with that for 2 outof the three stages.

Crazy fast.
I'd be happy with DOUBLE that!!

Scott
PM720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:44   #17
kyglockshooter

Awesome Day. We made it onsite by about 8:30A. Talked and picked up entries, my son and I followed the best practices of signing in at all stages, we were shooting by 9:15 at Glock M (moved really fast). Went to 5 to Glock where we saw some learning taking place, some gentle persuasion and visiting might have helped the process. The squadding process smoothed out over time and we were done by 11:45 or so...off to plates. ONE COMMENT I AM NOT COMPLAINING - we were doing best practice of pasting after a shooter and eventually told only RO's would paste, never seen this before and I hope as the match wore on participants were allowed to go down range and paste rather than being spectators. The plates were very well run we were done shooting by 12:15...this is our best in and done ever.

Fellowship and visiting were GREAT...met more glocktalkers to put a face with a name, learned there are more than a few of us retired military or reservist participating. Made long lasting relationships with RO's that I'll only see once a year most likely but we will pickup right where we left off. Finally, if you are shooting on Sunday find IRA he is the match director, he is a spitting image for Donald Sutherland as Oddball in Kelly's Hero's and a hoot to visit with.

Great venue, Great RO's, Great weather, Great fellowship - Awesome Day. See you next year....

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch, Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Unattributed

Last edited by kyglockshooter; 07-15-2012 at 05:46..
kyglockshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:09   #18
Glockrunner
HOOYA DEEPSEA

Send a message via Yahoo to Glockrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyglockshooter View Post
Awesome Day. We made it onsite by about 8:30A. Talked and picked up entries, my son and I followed the best practices of signing in at all stages, we were shooting by 9:15 at Glock M (moved really fast). Went to 5 to Glock where we saw some learning taking place, some gentle persuasion and visiting might have helped the process. The squadding process smoothed out over time and we were done by 11:45 or so...off to plates. ONE COMMENT I AM NOT COMPLAINING - we were doing best practice of pasting after a shooter and eventually told only RO's would paste, never seen this before and I hope as the match wore on participants were allowed to go down range and paste rather than being spectators. The plates were very well run we were done shooting by 12:15...this is our best in and done ever.

Fellowship and visiting were GREAT...met more glocktalkers to put a face with a name, learned there are more than a few of us retired military or reservist participating. Made long lasting relationships with RO's that I'll only see once a year most likely but we will pickup right where we left off. Finally, if you are shooting on Sunday find IRA he is the match director, he is a spitting image for Donald Sutherland as Oddball in Kelly's Hero's and a hoot to visit with.

Great venue, Great RO's, Great weather, Great fellowship - Awesome Day. See you next year....
I actually heard an RO ask another RO, "Are you a right or left handed paster?" Then a brief description of how the sequence in which the targets would ONLY be scored and pasted. I believe this was being done in fear that a bystander might paste a target before it got scored. But I think it all worked out by the days end.

Situations like telling the competitors NOT to paste can really confuse the system for other stages too. As was the situation were we had double the amount of RO's at one 5 to Glock stage and no reliefs for other stages when lunch came around. There was talk of closing a double setup of the Glock M for lack of reliefs after the supposed lunchtime because RO's hadn't eaten. But worked it's self out as far as I know.

Very friendly group of volunteers working every where I went. BEAUTIFUL DAY for a match. Overall it ran much smoother than some and let's not forget the vendors!

We had games to play, very reasonably priced merchandise and Armorers to fix anything. GSSF Staff was frirndly & "Johnnie On the Spot" for any situations early on. Thanks Erine, Mark, & Scott for the hussle you always provide and make this event look easy!

I would like to extend a well done to Mark & Don and all the volunteers, for a match well done; I do hope Sunday brings you to your goal!

Last edited by Glockrunner; 07-15-2012 at 09:28..
Glockrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:25   #19
fosters3

Shot yesterday and as always had a great time. I shot 3 divisions for the first time and tripled the fun! Left a plate standinging in one ( I am sure it went down and popped back up again) and had a mic in another division to put me out of the race. We'll see how I do in Am Civ. Every time I shoot a Glock match it reminds me of how great a sport we are in and the outstanding people that participate. There is no other place to make newbies and the experience veterans feel comfortable and have a blast. The range was great, the people were great, and the games were fun as well. We were in and out in less than four hours. The key is the squadding and adherence to it.

I personally appreciate all of the volunteers at these matches to make them SAFE and fun for all.

Great shooting with you Njanear!
fosters3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:47   #20
SCC
Member Me

Send a message via Skype™ to SCC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARDG View Post
I was avoiding you Steve.... Pretty much at M 'til lunch and 5 after - both near the top of the hill.

During some of these matches, one can go for the entire weekend without seeing folks that you know are there.
SCC is offline   Reply With Quote