GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-13-2012, 23:11   #1
WarEagle32

Anyone have a Rohrbaugh R9? Are they worth the money?

I am a pocket pistol junkie. I have and have had a lot of them. I have never even got to hold a Rohrbaugh R9 nor is there anywhere around here in rural AL to try one. I keep looking at them online, and I think a 13oz 9mm that is setup to specially handle the recoil is as sweet as it gets in theory, and I'm tempted and curious. Those of you that have them. Are they worth the money?
WarEagle32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 00:16   #2
RJ's Guns

I have had an R9s for several years. I carry it most of the time. It is a quality weapon and I would be hard pressed to get rid of it. As to the question; "are they worth the money," that depends on your finances. All that I can say is; if something happened to the one that I have, I would replace it immediately. I have had absolutely no problems with my R9s.

It is not built to shoot +P 9mm ammo, but since I do not shoot +P ammo in any of my handguns, that is not an issue for me.

Incidentally, everyone that I know that actually has a Rohrbaugh, has nothing but praise for their pistol. The only people that I have actually run across that have something negative to say about a R9, have never actually owned one and it has been my impression, that they could not afford one, but I may be wrong in that regards.

RJ
RJ's Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:18   #3
bsg1

because it is not a gun that you'll find on a property list of most gun owners... you may find "The Rohrbaugh Forum" to be of interest.
bsg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:03   #4
bac1023

I find them to be great quality pistols, though I have never owned one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:37   #5
hogship
It's MY Island

I'm one where money would be an issue.......so, you can take my comment for what it's worth......

I have no doubt the R9 is a quality gun. If I were looking to buy a pocket nine, is there enough difference in the gun itself, over something else currently being marketed, to warrant three or four times the cost? That, it seems, is the point for those who can't just buy anything without considering cost.

There does seem to be some difference in size.......but, just how much? Can anyone supply us with some comparison pics. I have an LCP, so could we see a shot comparing the R9 to the LCP, or the LC9?

For those whom money isn't an issue, don't just use that as an excuse for why you have an R9, and others do not. If it were important enough, I would find the money for an R9......as would so many others here. The real question is whether the R9 is worth it to someone whom the cost means more to them, than someone else where it's only a minor expense.

This reminds me of pocket knives. There are those who will spend $2-300 for a pocket knife, which has absolutely no added utilitarian benefit over a knife that costs a tenth as much. The more expensive knife will be finer crafted to the detail.......but, as long as it does the job it's intended for, the less expensive knife is every bit as good as the more expensive one........

ooc
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
hogship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:48   #6
CBennett

Id love to have one. Good quality little gun..Reason i dont have one is I dont think they are WORTH anywhere near what they are asking for it.
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:15   #7
Bob Hafler

Do not know to much about them, but why would I spend more money on one of them when I already have quality firearms that do fill the same need?
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:16   #8
IvanVic

I've shot them numerous times. I wasn't that impressed - but then again - it is a pocket gun.
IvanVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:51   #9
English

All the people I "know" who have one and whose opinions I trust think the are worth the money.

English
English is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:54   #10
jakebrake
cracker

fired one that belongs to a friend.

i wasn't impressed, but i have very large hands.

well built, just way too small for me to ever entertain carrying. i felt like i was fumbling with a squirtgun.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:48   #11
hogship
It's MY Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by English View Post
All the people I "know" who have one and whose opinions I trust think the are worth the money.

English
This really isn't a good example of "worth". We all know that if you survey owners of any particular brand of anything.......you will get an abnormally high percentage of positive reviews.

......Just ask owners of Wilson, Ed Brown, or Les Baer handguns, if they are worth the money! Are they any more reliable than a $700 1911? Are there any advantages to their operation? The answers to these questions will be.....no! So, there is something else about what "quality and worth" mean to the owners of these handguns..... other than utility and function......duh!

......While you're at it, why not ask the owners of Hi-point, or a few other cheaply made handguns, if the money is well spent?

The point here........is that by including those who have looked at the Rohrbaugh, formed an opinion, and didn't buy one.......are part of the equation of whether the Rohrbaugh is "worth" the added expense.

In the chart below, the Rohrbaugh appears to be almost identical to the Kahr PM9, but the Kahr has a better magazine release and holds the slide back on the last shot. I've seen this chart before, and since it was made, we have quite a few more little 9mm pistols added to what was available to us then.

General Firearms Forum

Last edited by hogship; 07-14-2012 at 11:57..
Old 07-14-2012, 12:46   #12
jhmayhem

Based on what I have read and seen, Rohrbaughs seem like reliable decent shooters for a gun that small, but to me there is nothing a Rohrbaugh can do better that most other pocket 9s can equally match or surpass for a better price.
jhmayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:53   #13
RJ's Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogship View Post

......Just ask owners of Wilson, Ed Brown, or Les Baer handguns, if they are worth the money! Are they any more reliable than a $700 1911? Are there any advantages to their operation? The answers to these questions will be.....no! So, there is something else about what "quality and worth" mean to the owners of these handguns..... other than utility and function......duh!

With all due respect, based on your comments, I seriously doubt that you have ever owned or have had any real experience with an Ed Brown, or Les Baer handgun. I own Ed Brown and Les Baer 1911 pistols and I own several Colt and Springfield Armory 1911s that I put several thousand rounds through when they were “stock” (before being sent off to be customized) or as you termed it;“a $700 1911”. Anyone that has had any real experience with an Ed Brown and/or Les Baer 1911 would never opine that there are no “advantages to their operation.” From my fairly extensive experience, in that regards, it is my humble opinion that there is a day and night difference in the “advantages to their operation.”

The Ed Brown and Les Baer 1911 pistols are much more reliable, accurate and easier to shoot accurately. And depending on the options, there are additional “advantages to their operation” over “a $700 1911” that could be addressed if I wanted to waste my time.

RJ
RJ's Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 13:15   #14
Bruce M

I think one of the fundamental questions when a comparison of the Rohrbaugh against some of the other similar pistols is whether or not the size difference is worth the money. As near as I can tell there a fair number of pistols now that are close in size and alot less money. The question is how close in size is close enough.

I sometimes think of this question in automobile terms. The difference in price between a car that has a top speed of say 140 versus 150 may be minimal compared to the price of a car that has a top speed of 190 versus 200 even though each difference is only ten miles an hour.

That last half or third of an inch might be very expensive; is it worth it is a personal decision I guess.

That said seems like everyone who owns one speaks highly of their Rohrbaugh.

I have handled a few and they seem smaller to me when actually next to another pocket gun than when alone, if that makes sense.

Someone even put the Rohrbaugh on their list of four in a recent thread.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.

Last edited by Bruce M; 07-14-2012 at 13:29..
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 13:16   #15
hogship
It's MY Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ's Guns View Post
With all due respect, based on your comments, I seriously doubt that you have ever owned or have had any real experience with an Ed Brown, or Les Baer handgun. I own Ed Brown and Les Baer 1911 pistols and I own several Colt and Springfield Armory 1911s that I put several thousand rounds through when they were “stock” (before being sent off to be customized) or as you termed it;“a $700 1911”. Anyone that has had any real experience with an Ed Brown and/or Les Baer 1911 would never opine that there are no “advantages to their operation.” From my fairly extensive experience, in that regards, it is my humble opinion that there is a day and night difference in the “advantages to their operation.”

The Ed Brown and Les Baer 1911 pistols are much more reliable, accurate and easier to shoot accurately. And depending on the options, there are additional “advantages to their operation” over “a $700 1911” that could be addressed if I wanted to waste my time.

RJ
You're right, I don't own one of those pistols.....never have! Your argument is the same-o, same-o we've heard forever, it seems......and that is: If you don't own one, you can't have an opinion. So, it seems like for me to actually have any opinion at all, I must own one. This concept is not totally without merit, but it has been over-used as a basis for conclusive evidence, where that conclusive evidence doesn't exist......

In this case, I'm loosely basing my opinion on what others use.....and, you just don't see a lot of Ed Browns, etc., in competitive use.......you do see a lot of good shooters, and winners using much less expensive guns. Like the Rohrbaugh......I'm giving an opinion based on some statistical evidence, and a lot of personal observation in my many years evolving to become an eccentric old codger! If you don't think I'm qualified to give that opinion......well, you are also entitled to your opinion, as well!

ooc

Last edited by hogship; 07-14-2012 at 13:55..
Old 07-14-2012, 13:37   #16
Sharky7
Boomshakalaka

I have a Kahr, don't have a Rohrbaugh.

Before buying, I decided the Kahr was the better choice for me. Lots of talk on forums about having to replace the Rohrbaugh recoil springs every 500 rounds - that is pretty frequent.

Kahr is less money and better options in my opinion with almost the same size.
Sharky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 14:00   #17
JasonC8301

I have to agree with RJ on this. 1. No +p ammo through the gun. A coworker had an R9 and think he waited 2 months for it along with approx 1k and change in cash. Broke the gun after approx 500 rounds of +p gold dot 9mm, frame cracked. They replaced the gun for him and then he sold it.

It is a nice gun but I was never a fan of pocket pistols. I back up my glock 19 or 1911 with a glock 26.

2. Seems like a lot of hate for semi custom 1911. I love my wilson's but have two kimbers as well. The difference is noticable. Both do the job but wilson is more accurate and built better. Ransom rest and benched groups proved that to me when I had the time to muck around. Now i concentrate on shooting rather then finding an accurate gun. Can't have a rest in life or patrol.

Can I justify a 2k difference in price? For me yes I can.

Don't like wilson, lb, ed brown, fine its your opinion. But don't run around saying a 700 production gun is the same. Like saying a Porsche 911 GT3 is the same as a Hyundai accent.
JasonC8301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 14:09   #18
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogship View Post
In the chart below, the Rohrbaugh appears to be almost identical to the Kahr PM9, but the Kahr has a better magazine release and holds the slide back on the last shot. I've seen this chart before, and since it was made, we have quite a few more little 9mm pistols added to what was available to us then.
Problem is, the Kahr's slide stop is obnoxiously big for such a small pistol. Shooting thumbs forward, it is possible to engage it while firing. Been looking for a gun to replace my P9 Covert for some time and even considered the Rohrbaugh at one point. I think I've found my replacement, in the XDS. YMMV
BuckyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 14:33   #19
hogship
It's MY Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC8301 View Post

Don't like wilson, lb, ed brown, fine its your opinion. But don't run around saying a 700 production gun is the same. Like saying a Porsche 911 GT3 is the same as a Hyundai accent.
I'm not saying a $700 production gun is the same.......there is a big difference in fineness of finish and appearance. It's wishful thinking to say the expensive custom guns are more accurate. That may have been true in another era, but with the fine tolerances modern CNC machinery are capable of, all that hand fitting that used to mean something, is a moot point anymore.

Your comparison of the Porsche and Hyundai isn't a good comparison, either..........What you need to compare is an less expensive car that will do everything the more expensive car can do........but, won't look as good doing it!

ooc

Old 07-14-2012, 14:38   #20
Bruce M

At the risk of hijacking the thread (sorry) it would be interesting to get a half dozen of each gun and shoot all them in a Ransom rest and see if there is any difference, statistically speaking.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote