GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-13-2012, 23:22   #1
WarEagle32

Is the Kimber Solo a TRUE pocket pistol?

I've only got to handle one once and that was 6 months ago. For those of you that have a Solo, is it a true every day pocket pistol or better used as a CCW? The LC9 I had was about the se weight but was too big for an every day pocket pistol so I sold it. am thinking of adding another top notch pocket 9 to collection. I have and love my LCP and Sig 290. Hated the DB's and Keltecs. However, my wife uses one and I am starting a new job and am going to get another pure pocket 9. Is the Solo pure pocket?
WarEagle32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:53   #2
IvanVic

Eh, I'd say no, especially when you are using the word "true". A true pocket pistol is a LCP or Kahr P380, for example. IMO, pocket carry is highly overrated. I would rather carry IWB, even if it's a small gun. Pocket carry occupies an entire pocket, and the gun flops around while you walk.
IvanVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:11   #3
bac1023

Its close, but I wouldn't quite consider it a "pocket pistol" or "mouse gun".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:04   #4
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

IMO, the Solo is the closest thing to a pocket .380 in height,length and width.

General Firearms Forum

A good pocket filling holster makes any gun very sturdy and easy to draw from. My personal favorite is the type from D.M. Bullard.

General Firearms Forum

They make one for the Solo: http://store.dmbullardleather.com/ca...6f59eeb9ba0447

Below is the end of time copy I made for the BG380... The funny thing though is that it works exactly the same and only cost my $1.10 in materials.

General Firearms Forum

As you can see, I was going to originally sew it but figured rivets will do fine and they do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Nakanokalronin; 07-14-2012 at 11:12..
Nakanokalronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:57   #5
Beanie-Bean

WarEagle,

Be sure to try one before you buy one...I liked the design, but struggled a lot with mine. Ended up trading it in the end. It is really particular about ammo.

Nice gun, just didn't work for me. It was the same size as my P238, too. Nice pocket pistol but better on a belt, either IWB or OWB.

Beanie-Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 15:45   #6
IvanVic

^That leather holster looks a hell of a lot better than the crap Desantis makes. The Desantis holsters have zero retention, and I've actually had a gun fall out of the holster while I was sitting down at a restaurant. By their very design, pocket holsters can't have too much retention, otherwise the gun would stick, but if I were to remove the holster from my pocket and throw it into my briefcase, for example, I want to be sure it isn't going to fall out. This is one of many reasons why I stopped pocket carrying, unless I am in a suit or dress attire that forces me to do so.
IvanVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 17:28   #7
WarEagle32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie-Bean View Post
WarEagle,

Be sure to try one before you buy one...I liked the design, but struggled a lot with mine. Ended up trading it in the end. It is really particular about ammo.

Nice gun, just didn't work for me. It was the same size as my P238, too. Nice pocket pistol but better on a belt, either IWB or OWB.

I would sure shoot one before I bought one. That is some great looking leather!
Old 07-14-2012, 18:24   #8
Dawolf

PPK is my pocket pistol which is longer and heavier, and a much better gun .380 notwithstanding. I have a Nano and it is still too fat and heavy for pocket carry. The thinness of the PPK makes it appropriate
Dawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 19:35   #9
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanVic View Post
^That leather holster looks a hell of a lot better than the crap Desantis makes. The Desantis holsters have zero retention, and I've actually had a gun fall out of the holster while I was sitting down at a restaurant. By their very design, pocket holsters can't have too much retention, otherwise the gun would stick, but if I were to remove the holster from my pocket and throw it into my briefcase, for example, I want to be sure it isn't going to fall out. This is one of many reasons why I stopped pocket carrying, unless I am in a suit or dress attire that forces me to do so.
The D.M. Bullard holds the gun in well, yet snags on the pocket easily and draws straight up and out. If I were to leave it in the holster and put it in a case, they would stay together.

I use a DeSantis mag packer for a back-up mag but their pocket holsters leave something to be desired.

Nakanokalronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:14   #10
maxpower220

I preferred to carry my Solo on the hip, but it would go into the front pocket with no problems. It is kind of thick for rear pocket. My consideration for pocket carry was the trigger, which is excellent for shooting, but not good for pocket carry for me. I liked and used the safety, but there is too much movement in the pocket for me to pocket carry that gun given that trigger. Others may have no issues with it, and that is fine.
maxpower220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:32   #11
RJ's Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakanokalronin View Post
IMO, the Solo is the closest thing to a pocket .380 in height,length and width.

Are you familiar with a Seecamp 380. A Seecamp 380 is a pocket 380, for me, a Solo is too big and heavy for pocket carry.

http://www.seecamp.com/products.htm

RJ

Last edited by RJ's Guns; 07-15-2012 at 12:33..
RJ's Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:14   #12
tedwhite

The new Beretta Nano goes in the pocket easily, though I don't like pocket carry and carry mine in an IWB Tagua made for Glock 26/27.

DM Bullard's holsters are the best. Had one for my Kimber UC II and was well worth the wait.
tedwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:44   #13
Dawolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedwhite View Post
The new Beretta Nano goes in the pocket easily, though I don't like pocket carry and carry mine in an IWB Tagua made for Glock 26/27.

DM Bullard's holsters are the best. Had one for my Kimber UC II and was well worth the wait.
I just ordered a Nemisis for my Nano, so we will see. By the way when I took apart a Solo at my favorite gun shop, the slop in the barrel set up was troubling.
Dawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:26   #14
SigFTW

I would say yes, it's a true pocket pistol. However, it does have some weight and will move back and forth (bounce off the leg) easily in a loose pocket, like cargo type pockets. I prefer to carry the Solo IWB.

General Firearms Forum
Old 07-16-2012, 16:59   #15
WarEagle32

Looks almost small enough for a pocket!
Old 07-16-2012, 17:08   #16
elde
Lifetime Membership

Had one. Proved unreliable. Outer edge of pocketability IMO. Replaced with Rohrbaugh, never looked back......no issues, easily pocketable, accurate for what it is with 115gr Gold Dots. I use Nano, P290 & PPS for IWB.

Last edited by elde; 07-16-2012 at 17:11..
elde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:29   #17
SigFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by elde View Post
Had one. Proved unreliable. Outer edge of pocketability IMO. Replaced with Rohrbaugh, never looked back......no issues, easily pocketable, accurate for what it is with 115gr Gold Dots. I use Nano, P290 & PPS for IWB.
The one I have is very reliable and will shoot anything I feed it. It also likes my reloads and 115gr.

Maybe they fixed the issues
Old 07-22-2012, 19:52   #18
sappy13

I just got one and I could use it for pocket carry in gym shorts or something baggy, but it seems too big to be used for pocket carry in jeans or slacks. It would be perfect for cargo pockets with a good holster.
sappy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 22:49   #19
paragon1

It is exactly the same size as the P290.
paragon1 is offline   Reply With Quote