GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:17   #1
Lakota

The Art of Missing the Point: When U can't afford to catch on.

Knotted Gun Sculpture at United Nations Headquaters in New York City NY USA
Next user photo Previous user photo
Gun-Control Issues

New York, New York

"Non-Violence" (also known as "The Knotted Gun") is a pro-peace sculpture by Swedish artist Carl Fredrik Reuterswärd, designed in late 1980 and inspired by the shooting death of his pal, John Lennon. It was given to the UN by the government of Luxembourg in 1988.
The sculpture depicts a cocked 45-caliber revolver (Editorial Note: the revolver is not 'cocked'.) with its barrel knotted into a bullet-blocking twist, an idea normally confined to 2D reality in newspaper editorial cartoons.
It has become the essential photo-op for UN visitors after the United Nations Sculpture Garden closed for renovations (When we asked how long it would remain closed, the information booth lady replied, "Years").

A steady stream of tourists, mostly foreign, pose with the statue, some assuming positions that might surprise Reuterswärd (or maybe not), such as the "grabbing the trigger" gambit.
Though the NYC installation has special significance -- considering the UN's PEACE-keeping mandate and Lennon's local demise -- there are at least 16 other identical Knotted Gun sculptures scattered across the planet, in venues ranging from a World War II Museum in Caen, France, to a shopping center in Liverpool, England. Miniature fiberglass version are available online.

Knotted Gun Sculpture

United Nations Visitors Plaza

Address: 1st Ave., New York, NY

Directions:
United Nations Visitors Plaza, east side of First Avenue at 45th Street. By subway: 4, 5, 6 or 7 to Grand Central Station. Walk east on 42nd Street to First Avenue. Cross the avenue and make a left.

"Gun control is being able to hit your target!" My Father and innumerable US Marines.
Saw this statue on my tour of the United Nations while on a family vacation in Manhattan NYC
edited 01-21-09
Just found this quote from the great Arizona author Edward Abbey
"If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government --and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws."

"Non-Violence" (a.k.a. "The Knotted Gun") by Fredrik Reuterswärd. This sculpture was a gift from the Government of Luxembourg to the United Nations.

"Gun control" isn't about guns...it's about control. Author unknown
"Gun control is being able to hit your target!" My Father and innumerable US Marines.

Saw this statue on my tour of the United Nations while on a family vacation in Manhattan NYC
edited 01-21-09
"If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government --and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws."

Comments and faves

1. great shot al...this image says it all!

2. Gee wiz Al you shouldn't get me started but since you did if Luxembourg and Tombstone ever got in a war who would you put your money on?
    Peace through superior firepower. In Tombstone EVERYONE carries a gun and no one ever gets shot.

3. Jerry - simmer down and look at it the way I see it. The way I look at it, most everything about the United Nations is a sad joke. Great expectations unfulfilled. Who has done more for peace in our world - Dwight D. Eisenhower or Kofi Annan? This is a place for diplomats to talk their diplomatic talk and feel good about themselves.
    The barrel was ridiculously long on this revolver to begin with. You could never control this barrel with that grip. They could cut it off just before the knot and have a decent carry revolver. To me my Smith & Wesson Performance Center Model 327 is a work of art and you'll never see it looking like this. My dad was a Navy Pilot and is buried at Arlington. He could shoot a 2 1/2" group at 25 yards with his service 45. That's gun control. He was also pretty good with a 20mm cannon.
  4. "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - Winston Churchill

5. hahaha what a cool find, and a great message.

6. Sandra Leidholdt Thank you for sharing the image and the message!

7. Eddie Engel
    I'm a little confused about the message. Huh?? I think I get it . But Ido like the photo and I'm giving it a fav.

8. MaxRab )
    very very nice

9. bungalosi Estos gringos estan locos creen que las armas les dan la tranquilidad , en mi pais no solo sirven para persuadir , sobretodo para matar para eso es que las fabrican..
    "ojalá la guerra me coja desarmado"

10. Carlos A Merighe
    If it comes from the United Nations it's an automatic piece of junk. The gun control crowd is more concerned with taking gun rights away from law-abiding citizens than taking them away from the armed criminals committing the crimes, so they can swallow a .12 gauge for all I care.

11. A_N_D_R_E_A_S Hi, I'm an admin for a group called European Statues and Public Art, and we'd love to have this added to the group!

12. Tom riecks
    United Nations and kiss my as*

13. Al_HikesAZ
    edited 01-21-09

14. I saw this in the 10+ Faves group and Faved it.

15. roberthuffstutter
    This is one photo that defines the united nations perfectly. My opinion of the U.N. Cannot be published, but it is less than exemplarary.

16. itsjussttmee To he** with the United Nations! BANNING GUNS DOESN'T KEEP THEM OUT OF THE HANDS OF VIOLENT CRIMINALS. If banning guns worked, Washington, D.C. and New York would be the safest cities in the country. THE POLICE CANNOT PROTECT YOU -- BUT YOU CAN PROTECT YOURSELF! You can't afford to wait 30 minutes, 20 minutes, or even 10 minutes for the police to arrive, assuming that you even get the chance to call police and they respond. America was born as an armed society. Guns are an integral part of our traditions and remain essential for the preservation of our safety and our liberty.

Gun-Control Issues

Posted by: neoc1

N 40° 45.046 W 073° 58.063
18T E 587143 N 4511602
Quick Description: The Knotted Gun (aka Non-Violence) sculpture is a memorial to John Lennon and the model for Ringo Starr's design for the Non-Violence Foundation memorial to John Lennon.
Date Posted: 7/6/2012 6:06:21 AM
Waymark Code: WMETKG
Published By: Team Farkle 7
Views: 0

Long Description:
After the death of John Lennon at the hands of Mark David Chapman on December 8, 1980, Yoko Ono asked his grieving friend, the sculptor Carl Fredrik Reuterswärd, to create a tribute to John and his vision and advocacy for a more peaceful and non-violent world as expressed in the lyrics of many of his songs, particularly his 1971 song - Imagine.

"You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I am not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one"

The result was the the famous bronze sculpture “The Knotted Gun” which is now located in the plaza at the entrance to the United Nations Building in New York City.

The Knotted Gun was was originally located at the Strawberry Fields Memorial in Central Park. It is just across the street from the Dakota, where John Lennon and Yoko Ono lived. In 1988, the Knotted Gun was placed outside the United Nations headquarters in New York. At the dedication, UN Secretary General Kofi Annan, described the symbolism:

"The sculpture, Non-Violence, has not only endowed the United Nations with a cherished work of art; it has enriched the consciousness of humanity with a powerful symbol that encapsulates, in a few simple curves, the greatest prayer of man; that which asks not for victory, but for peace"

The Knotted Gun has become a worldwide symbol of the non-violence movement. Many replicas of this sculpture can be found around the world, including, the Olympic Museum in Lausanne, at the Waterfront in Cape Town and in the Peace Park in Beijing, China.

More recently the Non-Violence Foundation commissioned former Beatle Ringo Starr to create his own rainbow-colored interpretation of the Knotted Gun to commemorate the 31st anniversary of John Lennon’s murder. The sculpture carries the inscription IMAGINE. The sculpture was unveiled in London in December 2011.
405 East 42nd Street
New York, NY 10017

Gun-Control Issues
Type of location: Beatles history
Gun-Control Issues
Connection to The Beatles:
The Knotted Gun (Non-Violence) sculpture is a memorial to John Lennon.

A UNITED NATIONS CALL TO SURRENDER YOUR FREEDOM:
A CELEBRATION OF IMPOTENCE.

The Moral of this monumental homage to the perceived solution to world and national violence is simply.

"JUST SAY 'NO' TO GUNS & VIOLENCE.

"DON'T BE A VICTIM".

BE THE FIRST ONE ON YOUR BLOCK TO SURRENDER YOUR *CONSTITUTIONAL 'RIGHTS' and 'DUTY' TO PROTECT *IT FROM ALL OF HER ENEMIES, WHOMSOVER, BE THEY FOREIGN OR DOMESTIC".

Readers are cordially invited to express their perceptions and opinions regarding this grotesque United Nations Building - and New York City government's - attack against the American Constitution, property, power and freedom insurance of its law abiding citizens.

Best regards,
- Lakota

FILL IN HERE..... ( ) ...

Last edited by Lakota; 07-16-2012 at 03:30.. Reason: Augmentation - also to clarify that there is no known copyright on this sculpture or photos of it.
Lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:33   #2
BobbyT

It would be a riot if someone took a saw to the thing and turned it into a functional snubby.
BobbyT is offline   Reply With Quote