SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:57   #1
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Does the Diamonback 380 still suck

Its a shame, I got a chance to hold one and see it dissembled the other day. It is almost the perfect pocket gun. Lightweight, good trigger, usable sights, and glock like in look and takedown. The captive recoil spring and internals also look top notch.

But even though the gun wow'ed me, I know of way to many horror stories with the DB380. However i have to ask, has manufacturing improved on these guns? Shouldn't they have worked out all the bugs by now?
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 16:55   #2
hoghunter82
FL Glocker #182

Can only give you my opinion, Diamondback makes far better airboats than they do pistols. Drive by their shop in Cocoa, FL and see for yourself. Maybe you will get a good one, maybe not. If its a gun you want for fun then roll the dice. If it is to protect your family, then there are far better choices out there. Let us know what you decide.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
hoghunter82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 18:46   #3
Bruce M

When I first heard of the DB9 I was intrigued. What I have read here and what one of the guys at the LGS who I trust has indicated, the intrigue faded.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 19:00   #4
deputy tom

Probably.I'll pass. tom.

SPES MEA IN DEO EST

Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus cel The world will come to an end but music and love will endure

Last edited by deputy tom; 07-16-2012 at 19:02..
deputy tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 19:48   #5
bac1023

I never appealed to me at all.

That said, I never shot one, but I don't like the way they feel in hand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 19:51   #6
Ljutic

If you have a choice between the .380 and the 9mm, get the 9mm. I'm fairly active on the DB Forum and results seem to be evenly split. Some get good ones, and some don't get good ones. My original was one of the first 250 off the production line. It's had over 1200 through it in the year and it's still working fine.

I did a one year follow up review on that pistol and it ran 99 of 100 rounds with no problems. The video is long, but I tried to catch the action as it happened. I also break out the second DB9 near the end of the video.

Bottom line is if you get a good one, they are pretty nice. If you get a bad one, you are in for some drama.
Old 07-16-2012, 20:55   #7
CDR_Glock

I was one of the unlucky DB9 owners and mine was a higher serial number. Originally, the first 300 had some issues, I believe, and by number 5000, they had things worked out. Mine was in the 9000s, maybe? They had an issue with walking pins but had a free fix for it. My frame cracked and they replaced it but it never even got close to shooting reliably. It was total frustration. I asked my gunsmith and he said sell it. So I did and I luckily found a Ruger Mark II Target Competition 67/8" barrel.

However, mine was never reliable for carry. I would have been better off finding a railroad nail on the street and defending myself with it, rather than the Diamondback. I lovingly called my gun the DiamondCrap DB9. Ljutic got lucky. I didn't. To me, it's not worth the gamble.

If you're looking in 380, get the LCP or P238. I've had bother but positive experiences with my P238.

If you're looking at 9mm, look at the S&WS Shield, Kahr CW9, Glock 26, or Sig P938. I have the P938 and it's finicky with certain ball ammo. I haven't run across JHPs that it won't feed, and I'm loading +P.

My YouTube Channel:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
CDR_Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 20:58   #8
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Does the Diamonback 380 still suck
Don't know about the Diamondback but the .380 still sucks.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:42   #9
maxpower220

Read up about them at Diamondbacktalk.com There are a lot of discussions that will clue you in.

Never had the DB .380, I only had the DB9. While it is easy to say "just go get the Shield/PM9/LCP/etc", DB does offer size and weight advantages over all of them. So much so, that it is hard to discount the DB. If you read up and understand what you may experience and go through with it, then you can't be disappointed. Good luck.
maxpower220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:19   #10
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

The Diamondback .38 Special is pretty sweet though.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:20   #11
Bob Hafler

Personally I've never even held one. There reputation is so bad I never gave them much thought as a gun I might like to own. I don't know if they ever got there problems straightened out but I haven't heard anything of a positive note either. There's to many other good guns on the market
to give a gun of questionable reliability much thought, much less my money.
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 20:29   #12
mr.scott

I have a db380 and carry it every day. I've never had a problem with it.
mr.scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 21:23   #13
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
The Diamondback .38 Special is pretty sweet though.
All Colts are pretty sweet. I have two Pythons but they're not exactly pocket carry:

4" Python
8" Python

If you read Ljutic's blog then you're better prepared for how to make yours work. I read Ljutic's P938 has been as bad as my DB9, so that is all luck of the draw, I guess. For me, I'm happy that I got a $700+ gun that worked, instead of a $350 gun that didn't. I shoot weekly, and rotate various pistols every 2-3 weeks; especially for CC. They have to put up with lots of ammo in my place.

To the OP: Good luck with whatever you get. Bear in mind all mouse guns can be finicky with ammo and guaranteed not to operate with limp wristing.

My YouTube Channel:

CDR_Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 23:01   #14
arkdweller22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
Don't know about the Diamondback but the .380 still sucks.
So true...

I bought one of the early ones. Worst gun purchase ever, for me. Diamondback sent me one of the newer ones after several trips to the factory and it was just as bad as the first.

Two acquaintances of mine had similar experiences, one with the .380 and one with the 9.

My advice, if it's not obvious by now, keep away.

On a positive note, it also cemented my decision to never carry a .380. Plenty of good tiny 9's out there (not the DB however...).

Last edited by arkdweller22; 07-17-2012 at 23:01..
arkdweller22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:44   #15
Narkcop

I had one of the first 8mm DB pistols around here. It sucked. FTF,FTE on and on.
Narkcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:53   #16
ChicagoZman

DB9 owner here. Could not get the gun to run on any ammo I tried until I tried Hornady Critical Defense 115gr. Works like a champ using it.
Glocks: 17, 17L, 22, 22C, 23, 24C, 27, 34
ChicagoZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:24   #17
Bob Hafler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoZman View Post
DB9 owner here. Could not get the gun to run on any ammo I tried until I tried Hornady Critical Defense 115gr. Works like a champ using it.
Wow That's got to make for some expensive range time not being able to shoot target loads.
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:31   #18
ca survivor

don't like the name or the way it looks, don't know how it feels because I'm not shooting one
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:36   #19
ca survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narkcop View Post
I had one of the first 8mm DB pistols around here. It sucked. FTF,FTE on and on.
try it with 9mm it might work
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:42   #20
TxDoubleAgent

Send a message via AIM to TxDoubleAgent Send a message via Yahoo to TxDoubleAgent
In short....Yes.
XD-.40 4" service with Nebo 190 lumin tac. light
XD-.40sc
TxDoubleAgent is offline   Reply With Quote