Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-16-2012, 21:07   #1
ithaca_deerslayer

Should my wife buy an M&P 9mm?

She has an XD she likes for IDPA but is stuck in ESP division. If she got something for SSP instead, I think she could make Marksman the next time she tries

Glock 34 gen 4 is my pick for her, but the grip is bigger than ideal for her small hands. I've read on GT that the M&P might have a smaller grip. Anyone have the actual grip circumference and trigger reach comparison numbers?

She shoots my 17 gen 4 as well as her XD. The big unkown is the M&P. I don't think we know anyone who has one she could shoot to try. Maybe I should put the word out, in case they just aren't bringing it to our local club matches.

Thinking the M&P9L, for the 5" barrel and long sight radius. Don't think the PRO is sold in the NY 10 round mag setup. Although maybe we could special order one without any mags if I paid enough. Is the PRO worth getting for big bucks over the 9L?

Any other IDPA SSP division allowed guns you'd suggest with a small grip for a woman, at least 10 round mags, a long sight radius, and preferably no transition between the first and subsequent trigger pulls?

Thanks

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 07-18-2012 at 09:09..
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 22:06   #2
bigchuck83

the m&p 9 with the small backstrap installed feels pretty dang small i normally used the large grip insert. Owned the mid size version with 4.25" barrel and it was a good gun i just found something i wanted more at the time. I am sure the M&P 9L would be good as well.
bigchuck83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 15:42   #3
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchuck83 View Post
the m&p 9 with the small backstrap installed feels pretty dang small
Can it be shot without any backstrap? Would that make it even smaller, like it does with a Glock?
Old 07-17-2012, 15:47   #4
Jim Watson

No. But you get three backstraps instead of two and bare gun as with Glock.
Old 07-17-2012, 16:26   #5
WarEagle32

I'd sure try to find someone that had one for her to try if I were you! I'd go far and rent one if I were you. I like Glocks and XD's a little better. But I'd bet if she handles the other polymers well she would most likely handle the Smith well too!
WarEagle32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:33   #6
Rustin

I know the trigger reach is shorter. Don't forget about APEX tactical trigger upgrades if your wife ends up with an m&p. TSA has experience with APEX if you want to give him a shout.
Rustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:18   #7
ChicagoZman

The M&P 9 is a joy to shoot if it has a good trigger (about 1 in 10 in my experience). And if the trigger isn't good, an APEX kit will fix it.
Glocks: 17, 17L, 22, 22C, 23, 24C, 27, 34
ChicagoZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:34   #8
gtoguy

Excellent gun !! Crap trigger. Go to Apex. That's what I did. You won't be sorry.
gtoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:48   #9
itstime

Mine shoots one. She likes it a lot. The small insert makes it really small.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:06   #10
TxDoubleAgent

Send a message via AIM to TxDoubleAgent Send a message via Yahoo to TxDoubleAgent
If you cared to go up in the caliber, you could put her in a 35 Gen4. The small backstrap or no backstrap will make the grip width 3mm shorter than a Gen 3. That may be just enough for her.
XD-.40 4" service with Nebo 190 lumin tac. light
XD-.40sc

Last edited by TxDoubleAgent; 07-18-2012 at 09:13..
TxDoubleAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:12   #11
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
Can it be shot without any backstrap? Would that make it even smaller, like it does with a Glock?
The M&P's backstraps switch out. They aren't just added to the base gun like the gen 4 Glocks, so no.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:15   #12
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxDoubleAgent View Post
If you cared to go up in the caliber, you could put her in a 35 Gen4. The small backstrap will make the grip width 3mm shorter than a Gen 3. That may be just enough for her.
My 17 she has tried is gen 4. The grip and trigger reach is more than her XD, and not quite comfortable enough for her.

She can shoot single well aimed shots from 25 yards, ok. But it is the rapid follow up shots on multiple targets where the large grip perhaps gives her some trouble.

While I believe that with enough effort, she can accomplish a lot with a Glock 34, such as make Marksman or better in IDPA, maybe a smaller grip would help

As to .40? Are you kidding me? There's no way she's ever going to .40. She sees absolutely no need for that caliber in our household. .357 mag for hunting, yes. 9mm for range and self-defense, yes. But .40 for anything, no way

Me, I wouldn't mind a Glock 27 .40 for the fun of it. Also a Glock 20 10mm

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 07-18-2012 at 09:16..
Old 07-18-2012, 09:55   #13
MrVvrroomm

My wife started out with an XD9 shooting steel a couple of years ago. She shot a friend's M&P9 Pro and decided she had to have it. She like it and shot it better than her XD. I had some trigger work done on the M&P and she liked it even better.

My wife has very small hands. She was consistently shooting low. She was about 6" low at 25 feet. She was doing plenty of dry fire, but just couldn't get on target with the M&P.

She reluctantly shot one of my Gen4 17's. She instantly was drilling out the center of the targets. She's now using her own Gen4 17 with a glocktriggers.com kit in it for steel, IDPA, and USPSA.

She's tearing it up after the switch.

Certified Glock Armorer
MrVvrroomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:04   #14
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVvrroomm View Post
My wife started out with an XD9 shooting steel a couple of years ago. She shot a friend's M&P9 Pro and decided she had to have it. She like it and shot it better than her XD. I had some trigger work done on the M&P and she liked it even better.

My wife has very small hands. She was consistently shooting low. She was about 6" low at 25 feet. She was doing plenty of dry fire, but just couldn't get on target with the M&P.

She reluctantly shot one of my Gen4 17's. She instantly was drilling out the center of the targets. She's now using her own Gen4 17 with a glocktriggers.com kit in it for steel, IDPA, and USPSA.

She's tearing it up after the switch.
Cool.

Did the M&P shoot low from the bench, too? If so the sights were off, I'd guess. If not, then probably was something about the grip that didn't agree with her.

Interesting that your wife found success with the Glock. I still have the Glock 34 as one of the top suggestion for my wife. But I guess there no telling which gun will agree with an individual shooter

When my wife rushes shots, like under the clock, she tends to dip the muzzle. Anticipating recoil is what is going on, I suppose. So, she may drop a few IDPA headshots into the top of the body. If she slows down, she keeps them on target. I'm not saying a change in gun is going to fix that I'm not sure if she does that less with the Glock. Maybe?

Alright, slow conclusion here. She needs to shoot a qualifier with my Glock 17 g4, just to see where she is with it. Then she can also think about getting the M&P if she wants.

It kinda occurs to me that she won't know if she is going to be dipping the muzzle until the stress of trying to qualify.

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 07-18-2012 at 10:05..
Old 07-18-2012, 11:10   #15
MrVvrroomm

Quote:
Did the M&P shoot low from the bench, too?
Sights were dead on. She'd shoot 6" low. I'd grab gun, bang bang bang center hits.

It was one of the most frustrating things ever. She didn't even have a flinch that I could see when she was dry firing. Not even a couple of my Master class USPSA buddies could figure it out.

The only thing we could see what that because the trigger on the M&P is more hook-shaped than that of the Glock, she was dipping the gun just as the shot broke.

When I mean consistent, I mean I could take a straight edge and draw an up/down line on her targets and the shots were perfectly aligned. Her left/right was spot on. She was just shooting everything low.

That problem has disappeared now that she's shooting the Gen4 17.

Certified Glock Armorer
MrVvrroomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:47   #16
TheJ
Lifetime Membership
NRA Life Member

More importantly IMHO, then thickness the full grip is... The trigger reach or lop on my M&P with smalled palm swell is over 4MM shorter than my cocked Gen 4 Glock with no back strap added.

So IMHO the M&P is easier to have good trigger control then a Glock for some people with smaller hands. This has been my experience. YMMV

The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -F. Scott Fitzgerald
TheJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:49   #17
Wash-ar15

switch the grip for a larger one and see what happens.
Wash-ar15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 13:25   #18
Rustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
More importantly IMHO, then thickness the full grip is... The trigger reach or lop on my M&P with smalled palm swell is over 4MM shorter than my cocked Gen 4 Glock with no back strap added.

So IMHO the M&P is easier to have good trigger control then a Glock for some people with smaller hands. This has been my experience. YMMV

Wow!

4mm is a HUGE difference for those with small hands. Heck,it was a big deal for Glock to make their pistols 2mm shorter, so 6mm shorter overall than a Gen3 Glock sounds like a winner.
Rustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:07   #19
Glock_your_world

Well all I can say is once I shot my M&P the Glocks never felt good again in my hand and my wife hates the feel of Glocks. So we are now Glockless and at one time I never thought that would happenend but the M&P won me over.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:14   #20
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
She has an XD she likes for IDPA but is stuck in ESP division. If she got something for SSP instead, I think she could make Marksman the next time she tries
Why not? I used to shoot ESP with SSP guns because there was less competition, but for the classifier, it is harder. I predict she'd prefer the M&P as soon as she shot it.

If she learns the technique of holding the trigger at the break point before the final sight picture, and learns that the sights don't have to be perfect, she'll classify easily.

Last edited by Bren; 07-19-2012 at 06:15..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote