Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-18-2012, 14:45   #1
RickG9x19

Picked up a 19...

Not a Glock 19, but a used Smith & Wesson Model 19-4 in .357 Magnum with a 4" barrel. This is a revolver that was on my must have list so when the LGS had one on consignment I had to pick it up.

The revolver is in great shape but the original grips were replaced at some point. The seller was a retired Police Officer who owned this weapon as a home defense gun.

I plan on using this as a home defense/woods gun with Magnum loads. For the range I will shoot 38 specials. I am planning to hand load at some point so will like use the .357 brass to make some hot 38 sp rounds. Any thoughts on this?

19 feels like a lucky number as I have gen 3 Glock 19 that I absolutely love, which was bought slightly used early this year. So for under $750 I have added two excellent firearms to my collection.

Pictures to follow with comments after some range time.

Next on the wish list something in 45ACP, either a 1911 or a Glock 30. Perhaps an AR-15 as I don't one.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
RickG9x19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 17:07   #2
257 roberts

you did gooooooood!!!! you will be happy
257 roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 17:16   #3
stopatrain
Lifetime Membership

Nice!
stopatrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 17:19   #4
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickG9x19 View Post
Not a Glock 19, but a used Smith & Wesson Model 19-4 in .357 Magnum with a 4" barrel. This is a revolver that was on my must have list so when the LGS had one on consignment I had to pick it up.
Congrats!!!

Quote:
Next on the wish list something in 45ACP, either a 1911 or a Glock 30.

Don't be so boring. Keep up the trend and find yourself a SW 625.
Old 07-18-2012, 18:16   #5
pennlineman

Excellent gun, congrats! In regards to the reloads the nice thing about a magnum revolver is that you can load from mild to wild and everthing in between. Get yourself a couple reloading books. They'll provide all the data you'll need to accomplish what you want. The Lyman book is good if you decide on using cast bullets.
pennlineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 18:21   #6
Bruce M

Enjoy your "new" 19!
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 21:08   #7
GLOCK17DB9

congrats
Old 07-18-2012, 21:44   #8
Lior
GUNS=FREEDOM

Enjoy sir.
Rust and bureaucrats. Freedom and vigilance. Front sight and trigger. Kindness and firepower. Situational awareness and tolerance. Safety and concealment. Taxes and allegiance. Love of man and surgical marksmanship. Once a soldier, always a soldier.

Last edited by Lior; 07-18-2012 at 21:44..
Lior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 21:59   #9
Benello

Stay way from the hotter 125gr. 357 loads. This is what I was told after I had asked following my having to tap each round out of the cylinder after shooting. Apparently, too much hot stuff can eventually crack the underside of the force cone area that is flattened to accommodate the ejector lever housing. Luckily, I only fed about 20 rounds of the 125gr. stuff before I learned this. 158 gr. mags have been just fine and reportedly do not pose a problem. Of course, the best route is to stick to .38's mostly.

Last edited by Benello; 07-18-2012 at 22:01.. Reason: Left out info
Benello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 22:09   #10
bac1023

Congrats on a great revolver.

I've got one myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 22:35   #11
m2hmghb

Great revolvers! My personal favorite is the 2.5 or 3 inch models. The 3 inch is hard as heck to find, and the 2.5 isn't that common either. If you want to use +p 38 loads 38 brass is fine. They'll wear out a bit faster then magnum brass, but they're cheaper. 125 grains will flame cut the top strap of the revolver and damage things fastest of any magnum loads. The 158 grain loads are fine to shoot, but as was said it's best to shoot 38s the majority of the time.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:12   #12
Glock40man

Congrats! I love K-frames.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:09   #13
CajunBass

Send a message via AIM to CajunBass
Good choice. You will not be disapointed.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
CajunBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:22   #14
RickG9x19

Thanks for the feedback. I hope to get to the range on Saturday.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:39   #15
banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benello View Post
Stay way from the hotter 125gr. 357 loads. This is what I was told after I had asked following my having to tap each round out of the cylinder after shooting. Apparently, too much hot stuff can eventually crack the underside of the force cone area that is flattened to accommodate the ejector lever housing. Luckily, I only fed about 20 rounds of the 125gr. stuff before I learned this. 158 gr. mags have been just fine and reportedly do not pose a problem. Of course, the best route is to stick to .38's mostly.
This is BUNK...

I used a model 19 for YEARS as my duty weapon, ALWAYS loaded with 125 JHP .357's.

If there is trouble ejecting the rounds...than there is a problem with the weapon.

Consider, if these revolvers were nearly as fragile as is circulated on the net...explain that 40 plus years later they are among the most sought after and collected of all the Smith and Wesson's.

You will find that when reading opinions on the net, a "problem", is reported and recirculated for YEARS. Each poster reporting essentially the same story. Until it seems to become a wide spread problem.

As an example...look how many ammo threads stat out with..."I know Black Talon ammo is illegal, but"....

This tripe starts out and develops a life of it's own with little or no basis in reality.

EDIT: To prove my point, wait a few weeks or a month and post how you just bought a S&W model 13, and want to find out everyone's opinion.

I'll bet this "issue" does not appear.

THEY ARE THE SAME GUN !!!

The difference being one is fixed sighted and one adjustable, that's it.

Same frame, same cylinder, same trigger, same hammer etc. simply the sights.

Yet one draws the "better not use magnums comments and one does not.

Last edited by banger; 07-19-2012 at 05:51..
banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:48   #16
m2hmghb

Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
This is BUNK...

I used a model 19 for YEARS as my duty weapon, ALWAYS loaded with 125 JHP .357's.

If there is trouble ejecting the rounds...than there is a problem with the weapon.

Consider, if these revolvers were nearly as fragile as is circulated on the net...explain that 40 plus years later they are among the most sought after and collected of all the Smith and Wesson's.

You will find that when reading opinions on the net, a "problem", is reported and recirculated for YEARS. Each poster reporting essentially the same story. Until it seems to become a wide spread problem.

As an example...look how many ammo threads stat out with..."I know Black Talon ammo is illegal, but"....

This tripe starts out and develops a life of it's own with little or no basis in reality.

EDIT: To prove my point, wait a few weeks or a month and post how you just bought a S&W model 13, and want to find out everyone's opinion.

Did you ever think that maybe the model 19 is more well known then the model 13? Or that maybe more departments used/issued and more officers bought the model 19 then the model 13? I know my father's department used the 19 because of the better sights. My father's dept also had a couple 19s go down from the 125 grain magnum rounds, it takes years but it does happen eventually. The 158 grain round is what the revolver was designed for, the 125 grain hadn't been invented yet. It was fine to shoot 125 occasionally but the departments were using it for practice and duty ammunition in the 70s and 80s.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:37   #17
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2hmghb View Post
Did you ever think that maybe the model 19 is more well known then the model 13? Or that maybe more departments used/issued and more officers bought the model 19 then the model 13? I know my father's department used the 19 because of the better sights. My father's dept also had a couple 19s go down from the 125 grain magnum rounds, it takes years but it does happen eventually. The 158 grain round is what the revolver was designed for, the 125 grain hadn't been invented yet. It was fine to shoot 125 occasionally but the departments were using it for practice and duty ammunition in the 70s and 80s.
The K-Frame-.357 125gn issue does exist. well known before the internet. It sactually has nothing to do with a 125 load being "hotter" but the lighter bullet's characteristics in transitioning from the cylinder through the forcing cone. The 125s and 158s are loaded to the same pressure specs the 125s just don't behave well in the transition from cylinder to barrel
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 21:15   #18
RickG9x19

Here are pictures of my two "19's". The Smith & Wesson Model 19 and my Glock 19 gen 3. I will be at the range on Saturday with magnum rounds and 38 specials.

Attached Thumbnails
General Firearms Forum - Click for larger version   General Firearms Forum - Click for larger version  
Old 07-19-2012, 21:58   #19
Caver 60

If you're loading anything so hot the rounds have to be 'tapped out,' You're loading WAY TOO HOT. And you don't know anything about reloading.

I remember one day I showed up at the range. A guy I knew only from the range was shooting his Smith 29 with the long barrel. He fired a cylinder full and couldn't push the ejector rod hard enough to to push the rounds out. He started beating the ejector rod against the wooden shooting bench to get the empties out.

He made some comment about 'I loaded these a little too hot.' Then he put six more rounds in and was going to shoot them. I moved to the other end of the range. I didn't want to get hit with flying parts. But the Smith held them. Incredible testimony as to how strong the Smiths are. But that doesn't excuse stupidity.
Caver 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:12   #20
CajunBass

Send a message via AIM to CajunBass
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
This is BUNK...

While I agree the "problem" is overstated, to say that it's "bunk" is just wrong. The issue was well known long before Al Gore invented in the internet. The internet has helped to keep the issue afloat, and has no doubt magnified it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. The question never was DID it happen, the question is how widespread is the problem, and what really causes it. The only real consistent factor seems to be the use of light bullets (below 140 grains) and fast burning powder

Today people are afraid to shoot +P 38's in K-frame guns. Now you want to talk about "bunk" then, you're on the right track.

I also agree that if you're having to beat the empties out of a revolver, or any other gun, you're loading too hot. Back off. And clean your chambers.

The "issue" does come in in discussions about the Model 13. Model 13's are far few, so it comes up less often but it does come up.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
CajunBass is offline   Reply With Quote