SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:03   #1
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Should You Be Allowed to Openly Carry Guns in Libraries?

http://bloomfield-mi.patch.com/artic...aries-3be856f1

PLEASE note the actual question. It is NOT
Is OC a good idea?
Can you think of reason(s) why OC is a bad idea?
Why on Earth would anyone OC?

The question is "Should it be allowed?" legally.
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:17   #2
Bren
NRA Life Member

Yes, it should be allowed, just as it is here.

I can't imagine why "libraries" would be off limits.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:04   #3
Bren
NRA Life Member

Looks like limiting it to th law took all the fun out of it.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:15   #4
Lior
GUNS=FREEDOM

When I was a wee lad in Medical School, I came "home" on furlough while on active reserve duty and visited the Tel Aviv University Medical School Library with an M16A1 across my shoulder. The Israeli students and staff were completely cool with it, but the New York Medical Program students were freaking out. I guess not having a lifetime of conditioning of normal people carrying firearms did not help them.

So yes, I do not think that a person with no criminal intent should suddenly be permanently branded as a lawbreaker because somebody else notice that they were carry a firearm into a library. I have no problem with people carrying books into gun shops, after all.
Rust and bureaucrats. Freedom and vigilance. Front sight and trigger. Kindness and firepower. Situational awareness and tolerance. Safety and concealment. Taxes and allegiance. Love of man and surgical marksmanship. Once a soldier, always a soldier.
Lior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:16   #5
tomcon

Actually the question is, " Should Librarians follow state law?

Yes. There are a lot of things people do in life that make me uncomfortable, that is my problem, not theirs.

Lets keep in mind that if you can control the information that people are exposed to you can control their attitudes and lead them along your chosen path. Libraries are places you should be able to go educate yourself and expand your mind, not places where you are forced to conform to other peoples ideas.

Typical strategy for Liberals. In other words, "Don't like it, Ban it"

For the record, I applied for a personal protection permit and received a LTCH!

Last edited by tomcon; 07-19-2012 at 11:41..
tomcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:36   #6
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcon View Post
Actually the question is, " Should Librarians follow state law?
They are requesting the law be changed to exclude libraries as legally open carry places so they are following the law and they are going about the right way to change a law they don't believe in, so that's not the question. I don't agree with their thinking but they are going about trying to get it changed and not just ignoring a law they don't like.

The question stands, should you be legally allowed to OC in a library?
Old 07-19-2012, 11:44   #7
FL Airedale
Dog Breath

Just don't fire it in the library. If you do an old lady is going to give you a really insistent SSSSSSHHHHHHHHHH!
I used to be a people person but people ruined that for me.
FL Airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:53   #8
AZL

Well...I think packin' heat in the library is almost required. Have you seen how wild those librarian chicks can be?

Seriously though...I don't see why it should be prohibited??? Makes no sense to me.

"If you take your hands off the back of my cruiser one more time, I will make your birth certificate a worthless document." Me Again
AZL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:05   #9
Chesafreak

Of course you should, as long as OC is allowed by law. They are public after all.
Chesafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:09   #10
Happypuppy

Yes should you? No it is provocative IMO and not a good idea. Your milage may vary.
Happypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:22   #11
F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZL View Post
Well...I think packin' heat in the library is almost required. Have you seen how wild those librarian chicks can be?

Heck yea!!! I'm married to one

As for carrying.... She is director of a university library, and here in Colorado I OC in there often.

Last edited by F350; 07-19-2012 at 12:24..
F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:31   #12
tomcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrGlock View Post
They are requesting the law be changed to exclude libraries as legally open carry places so they are following the law and they are going about the right way to change a law they don't believe in, so that's not the question. I don't agree with their thinking but they are going about trying to get it changed and not just ignoring a law they don't like.

The answer to your question is: Yes.

There are no armed guards to walk library patrons to their vehicles, no metal detectors at the doors and the libraries are funded by taxes.

Sorry,I should have put my rephrasing of the question at the bottom of my post or better indicated sarcasm.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:47   #13
tomcon

Quote:

"Despite filing a report with police, Baldwin is "hamstrung" when it comes to preventing such incidents in the future — hamstrung, he said, because state law allows for open carry in Michigan libraries."

This quote from the article shows a disregard for the currant law and after failing to get their way illegally, are now asking for a change in the law.

Failing to intimidate first is not following the proper steps to legally change a law you do not like.

Last edited by tomcon; 07-19-2012 at 23:44.. Reason: Added Herr Glock quote for clarification
Old 07-19-2012, 13:23   #14
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happypuppy View Post
Yes should you? No it is provocative IMO and not a good idea. Your milage may vary.
Let's bounce this off the original post and see if there might be a bit of preemption to avoid conversations that have gone on ad infinitum already and trying to keep it within the scope of this article, shall we?

Quote:
http://bloomfield-mi.patch.com/artic...aries-3be856f1

PLEASE note the actual question. It is NOT
Is OC a good idea?
Can you think of reason(s) why OC is a bad idea?
Why on Earth would anyone OC?

The question is "Should it be allowed?" legally.
Is it really so much to ask?
Old 07-19-2012, 13:23   #15
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZL View Post

Seriously though...I don't see why it should be prohibited??? Makes no sense to me.
One thing I've noticed is that libraries are free public places where you can find bathrooms, air conditioning, soft chairs and free entertainment. I have also noticed that makes them very popular with the homeless and poor and I've noticed that crime and craziness are very popular with the homeless and poor.
Old 07-19-2012, 13:23   #16
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcon View Post
The answer to your question is: Yes.

There are no armed guards to walk library patrons to their vehicles, no metal detectors at the doors and the libraries are funded by taxes.

Sorry,I should have put my rephrasing of the question at the bottom of my post or better indicated sarcasm.
No problem. I hope the librarians are completely ignored in the upcoming legislative session.
Old 07-19-2012, 14:05   #17
sciolist

O/C should be legal, but C/C should be the norm. The article seems to vacilate back/forth between O/C and just plain carry.
sciolist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 14:12   #18
SCmasterblaster

Yes indeed, OC in libraries sends a big message to criminals in libraries.
Old 07-19-2012, 14:40   #19
ChiTownPicaro

It is my belief that anybody should be legally allowed to carry in a library or other publicly owned buildings. Anyplace that there is no inherent risk such as a jail or prison which is owned by taxpayers should be friendly to guns. Schools, colleges, police stations, and other places all should be friendly to open and concealed carry.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
ChiTownPicaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 16:29   #20
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
Yes indeed, OC in libraries sends a big message to criminals in libraries.
You have to share your secret to being able to teleport from home to the library without ever going to work, grocery store, get gas, stop by to drop off dry cleaning, etc between the two. It must be that you can instantaneously appear in the library and then at home and could not possibly that you never considered the getting to and going from the library in your comment.

I've been tired of people using "You couldn't possibly need a gun while dropping off your kid at school" comments. If you deny at a place, you are also denying it from the time you leave your house until you get back to the house as well. Then later it's "Well you cannot carry anywhere anyway, we might as well repeal the law."