Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-10-2012, 21:50   #1
attrapereves

Aggressive drivers

I was driving along I-70 in Missouri today. The speed limit is 70mph and I was averaging around 75. I generally like to drive between the speed limit and 5 over. I do this because you don't really get to your destination any quicker by speeding, and you lose fuel economy by driving faster.

Anyways, I encountered several rude drivers. I was in the left lane going 75 in a 70. One guy was behind me and kept flashing his lights. I merged into the right lane to let him pass, and then got back in the left lane.

About 30 minutes later, I had another driver tailing me. This time I was driving about 77. I've generally heard that 7mph over the limit is when cops will start giving out tickets. This driver kept tailgating me. He was throwing his hands up, and acting like he was in a real rush. He finally passed me, and flipped me the bird when he was beside me.

Was I in the wrong? I was already going OVER the speed limit, but I guess I wasn't going fast enough for these drivers. Has anyone else encountered people like this? Do you get over to let them pass, or do you just stay put and let them get around you on their own?
attrapereves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 21:57   #2
smokin762

Why do you prefer to ride in the fast lane? The left lane is usually the passing lane and they were trying to pass you.
smokin762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 22:22   #3
attrapereves

I've always been told to ride in the left lane if you are going to be on the highway for a long time. I wasn't going to be exiting the highway for another 80 miles, so I see no reason to be in the right lane.

Maybe it's just me...
attrapereves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 22:28   #4
Chuck66
Traveling Man

Yes. It's just you. And whoever told you that is wrong.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Freemason's Lodge #66

Behold! How swiftly the sands run, and how rapidly our lives are drawing to a close.
Chuck66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 22:29   #5
rilkil23

My opinion is you should be in the right lane, left lane is for passing. I understand what you're saying but people who float in the left lane have no business doing so. I stay in the right lane until someone needs to merge onto the road and switch to the left and as quickly as possible get back in the right lane.
rilkil23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 23:10   #6
alwaysshootin

Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
I've always been told to ride in the left lane if you are going to be on the highway for a long time. I wasn't going to be exiting the highway for another 80 miles, so I see no reason to be in the right lane.

Maybe it's just me...
You were told incorrectly, as mentioned, the left lane, on a two lane highway, is for passing. Be a considerate driver, and go to the left lane, only, to pass, or get out of the way of on coming traffic. That is the correct use. Now you know!
Old 05-10-2012, 23:10   #7
smokin762

Quote:
Originally Posted by rilkil23 View Post
My opinion is you should be in the right lane, left lane is for passing. I understand what you're saying but people who float in the left lane have no business doing so. I stay in the right lane until someone needs to merge onto the road and switch to the left and as quickly as possible get back in the right lane.
Same here.
smokin762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 23:35   #8
AA#5

Since I don't need a bunch of pissed-off, impatient 85-100mph drivers on my bumper, I'll only use the left lane when I'm speeding or there is no one close behind me. That way, I don't have to worry about a ticket or an idiot.
AA#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 23:39   #9
jjslice

You were rude for blocking the passing lane. It is state law in some states
jjslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 13:34   #10
Alizard

Quote:
Anyways, I encountered several rude drivers. I was in the left lane going 75 in a 70. One guy was behind me and kept flashing his lights. I merged into the right lane to let him pass, and then got back in the left lane.
I would think by now you would have gotten the message and stopped driving in the left lane when you are constantly being overtaken by faster traffic. You are imposing a traffic hazard even though you unilaterally think that driving "between the speed limit and 5 over" is what every car in the left lane should be driving.

I agree there was a rude driver in the picture, and it was you.

There is a common term for people who drive that way out here: road boulders.

Last edited by Alizard; 05-11-2012 at 13:36..
Alizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 13:38   #11
Alizard

I forget where I heard it but somebody said that any survey on driving would conclude that everybody thinks they are a "better than average driver" and that everybody else is a nut.

Same thing about speed: everybody thinks the speed they are driving is optimal, and everybody else is wrong.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:42   #12
jeanderson
Platinum Membership
Toga!... Toga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alizard View Post
I forget where I heard it but somebody said that any survey on driving would conclude that everybody thinks they are a "better than average driver" and that everybody else is a nut.

Same thing about speed: everybody thinks the speed they are driving is optimal, and everybody else is wrong.
To me, the roads are full of idiots and maniacs. Anyone going slower than me is an idiot. Anyone going faster is a maniac. I, of course, drive the optimum speed.
"I have obviously failed to galvanize and prod, if not shame enough Americans to be ever vigilant not to let a Chicago communist-raised, communist-educated, communist-nurtured subhuman mongrel like the acorn community organizer gangster Barack Hussein Obama to weasel his way into the top office of authority in the United States of America."

Ted Nugent
jeanderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:03   #13
jay-bird
goin' broke

Quote:

Maybe it's just me...
WHAT?!?!? You LEARNED this behavior?

Yes. You are in the wrong. The left lane is for passing only. After you pass get back in the right lane.

Missouri. Lol.

Last edited by jay-bird; 05-15-2012 at 08:06..
jay-bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:04   #14
eracer
Where's my EBT?

OP, you can't win for losing.

If you are speeding in the left lane, people will insist that you give way to those who want to speed more than you.

If you speed in the right lane, you have to deal with people who understand the meaning of the phrase 'Speed Limit.'

Do what I do - drive the speed limit in the right lane, and keep at least ten car lengths between you and the car ahead of you. If you come up on a car going slow in the right lane, check your mirror and accelerate in the left lane to pass.

There are enough a-holes out there who think they're entitled to do whatever they feel like doing. Don't be one of them. Driving will become less stressful when you just relax.

Of course, if you're in the right lane you will have to deal with the a-holes that think you should yield to them when they enter a highway from an on-ramp.

A-holes, a-holes everywhere. What to do, what to do....
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks

Last edited by eracer; 05-15-2012 at 13:51..
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:27   #15
CitizenOfDreams

Quote:
But not everybody tries to impose his understanding of optimal speed on other drivers.
CitizenOfDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:38   #16
IGotIt
No Demlibtards

DRIVE IN THE PROPER LANE
When driving on a highway with a total of two lanes (one lane in each direction), drive in the right hand lane. You may cross the center line for passing when there are no oncoming vehicles and no solid yellow line.
On highways with a total of four or more lanes (two or more lanes in each direction), always keep to the right unless you are passing slower traffic, letting another driver have room to enter safely, or getting ready to make a legal left turn. Once you have completed that pass Missouri Motor Vehicle Law requires you to return to the right lane. It is not legal or safe to continually drive in the left lane.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:05   #17
edporch

The left lane is for passing, NOT blocking traffic.

I find it ironic that you complain about one so-called "aggressive" driver, that you intentionally block the way for.

YET it's YOUR passive-aggressiveness that blocks the road so that MANY drivers are eventually backed up behind you.

Thus creating a TRULY dangerous situation of multiple cars congested together.

Being "right" is often times the wrong thing to do.
Move over and let people pass...
SAF Life Member

Last edited by edporch; 05-15-2012 at 11:06..
edporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:16   #18
The Fist Of Goodness

I run into this every day. Actually, what I have been seeing more of are drivers on the passing lane either matching the speed of the car next to them (a rolling road block), or driving slower than the cars in the center or right lane (causing other drivers to pass on the right, which is dangerous too). I believe in many cases, it is a distracted driver (texting, eating), but there are plenty of drivers out there who are intentionally blocking the left lane.

I think having to deal with these scenarios is more hazardous than speeding.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 05-15-2012, 13:46   #19
Alizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb5417 View Post
I run into this every day. Actually, what I have been seeing more of are drivers on the passing lane either matching the speed of the car next to them (a rolling road block)
There are a lot of drivers out here who do that while driving in the commuter (car pool) lane..... when the traffic lanes next to them slow down and lock up, they slow down too because they are afraid to go faster even though their lane is clear. I swear there is nothing more infuriating because passing them is impossible, you are just locked behind them.

And then they see their exit and can't get over because they waited too long and the right lanes are stopped..... so they park in the commuter lane at a dead stop with their blinker on.

I like to hope there is a special hell for them.

Last edited by Alizard; 05-15-2012 at 13:46..
Old 05-15-2012, 13:56   #20
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by rilkil23 View Post
This.
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
concretefuzzynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 14:06   #21
Dexters

Quote:

Maybe it's just me...
Who told you that?

What is the thinking behind that?

Last edited by Dexters; 05-15-2012 at 14:07..
Dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 16:05   #22
AZL

Quote:

Maybe it's just me...
Left lane...i.e. fast lane is for passing. The right lane is for driving. In AZ and many other places you can be ticketed for driving in the left lane. That's why there are signs all over the place that read: SLOWER TRAFFIC MOVE RIGHT.

That doesn't excuse rude behavior in other drivers...but in this case...according to their perception, you were the rude driver to them.

Rule of thumb...regardless of where you are...if someone is moving up on you rapidly...move over. Don't play dick dick and slow down on purpose, or hit your brakes...that is the kind of stuff that leads to accidents and people going into bags. Let the jerk around you and let Mr. Trooper up the road geive him a ticket.

I agree driving a million miles an hour gets you nowhere quicker...my personal rule when I worked patrol was "Nine you're fine, over that you're mine". Unless you were in a school zone or a residential neighborhood driving like a moron.
AZL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 18:37   #23
jph02

Quote:
I would think by now you would have gotten the message and stopped driving in the left lane...There is a common term for people who drive that way out here: road boulders.
I call them left lane hogs. And I'll bet that not a one of them is named Bob, so the left lane is not theirs exclusively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edporch View Post
...YET it's YOUR passive-aggressiveness that blocks the road so that MANY drivers are eventually backed up behind you...
and I call this the lemming effect. Why do people line up in the left lane behind some guy who obviously doesn't get he's in the wrong lane? It's not like that guy is going to go any faster when a half dozen or more cars are all following him at only about a single car length's distance. If, after enough time to allow him to move right, pass on the right so the rest of us won't all end up in your debris field because you don't know the 3 second rule.
jph02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 18:49   #24
AZL

Not only does this apply to life in general, but seems appropo to dirving:

LEAD, FOLLOW, OR GET THE FRAK OUT OF THE WAY!
AZL is offline   Reply With Quote