Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-20-2012, 16:56   #1
Sheppick.dan

9mm ammo

Where does everyone get their 9mm ammo? I have been looking trying to find some cheaper ammo for target but every store around has them for like .50-.60 per shot. Just yesterday they had a post on here for LE Speer Dot box of 50 for $29.95. Is the Internet really the way to go for buying ammo? Any suggestions on if that is actually a good idea or not would be great. I just have a hard time spending the same amount for HP as WWB from my local store.
Sheppick.dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 17:01   #2
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

I get WWB from Wal-Mart and my defensive ammo from Streichers (http://www.policehq.com/Products/CCI-9GD)
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 17:04   #3
collim1
Shower Time!

The internet can be good, but ammo is heavy and shipping usually eats up the savings per box.

I prefer to buy mine FTF.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 17:15   #4
Decguns

The interet is usually the best place to find home defense ammo. 9MM Federal HST is often just $16/box 50. Less than a 20rd box at the local gun shop.

If you check out the bigger on-line retailers like Cheaperthandirt or Sportsmansguide, you can often find decent deals on plinking ammo, and their shipping isn't as high. SG Ammo and Dan's Ammo are also good sources on-lne, even if the selection isn't as big. If you're only buying 50-100rds, just buy locally.
Old 07-20-2012, 17:20   #5
jmarkt

Georgia Arms

I haven't tried any yet, but georgia arms has good prices on their canned heat ammo.
jmarkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 17:45   #6
Bruce M

I use Georgia Arms with good results.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 17:50   #7
ak103k

Winchester 100 round bulk packs at Walmart are about as close as you can get to case lot prices, buying by the box, and no shipping. Other than that, buying in bulk on the internet is usually your best bet if you want to save money. Better prices and it comes to your door.

Ammoman, and a few others cost a little more at first blush, but they include shipping in the cost. Most of the others suck you in with what looks like a lower price, and then at the last page, add shipping to the price, and its more often than not, not that great a deal in the long run. To add insult to injury, they take your order, charge your credit card, and then send you an email telling you its out of stock and it will ship at a later date. Ammoman only lists whats in stock, and wont let you order if its not.

For SD type ammo, Ive found SGAmmo to be about the best for selection and price. Fast shipping too.

Zeitgeist - Addendum
ak103k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 18:44   #8
grumpy1

You can get Blazer Brass 9MM 115 GR for $10.49 a box of 50 shipped from Palmetto State Armory.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...115gr-9mm.html
grumpy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 18:58   #9
elliotb33

Late last month i bought a bunch of 9mm Seller & Belot (sp?) at Natchez for 9.79 for 50 just looked today price went up to 10.49 per 50 should have bought more.
elliotb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 19:40   #10
M2 Carbine

Quote:
Where does everyone get their 9mm ammo?
I handload mine.
I like to shoot a lot and I'm just too cheap to pay $10 or more for fifty rounds.

This 9mm costs between $4 and $6 for 50, plus some spare time when I have nothing else to do.

General Firearms Forum
M2 Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 19:42   #11
Sheppick.dan

Great thanks guys! I was having a hard time. Here in Oregon the ad this last weekend was 24.95 for a 50 pack of WWB. The cheapest I have found so far is around 15 bucks for a 50 pack. I am not looking to buy in HUGE quantity but don't like the idea of paying the same price for target ammo as I could for SD ammo.
Old 07-20-2012, 19:44   #12
Sheppick.dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 Carbine View Post
I handload mine.
I like to shoot a lot and I'm just too cheap to pay $10 or more for fifty rounds.

This 9mm costs between $4 and $6 for 50, plus some spare time when I have nothing else to do.

General Firearms Forum

WOW, thats crazy all of the stuff you have. How much was the initial investment to loading your own? Unfortuanately I don't think I have the spare time to load my own though but would LOVE to get into that. Have you ever had any issues firing handloads out of your glock? I have read that it isn't the best thing to do?
Old 07-20-2012, 21:55   #13
M2 Carbine

Quote:
WOW, thats crazy all of the stuff you have. How much was the initial investment to loading your own?
Because I never really could afford to shoot store bought ammo as much as I wanted, I got into reloading as soon as I bought my first 38 and 45, about 1960.
I started with a $14.50 Lyman hand press. It is slow but does load decent ammo.
Now days a Lee hand press costs about $35 and takes a little over half hour to load a box. I still use this Lee for small jobs.
General Firearms Forum

Over the years I bought faster equipment. For some years now I've had a Dillon progressive press that cost me $350 (over $500 now). A progressive will load a box of handgun ammo in about 10 minutes.
General Firearms Forum

Quote:
Unfortuanately I don't think I have the spare time to load my own though
The time problem can be solved if you have a place where you can leave the press set up and ready to go all the time.
Then when you have a half hour, instead of watching TV or being on the internet, you can sit down and immediately turn out loaded rounds.
General Firearms Forum

All this stuff (and a lot more) was loaded when I had nothing else to do. I very seldom take time away from something else to reload ammo.
General Firearms Forum

Quote:
Have you ever had any issues firing handloads out of your glock? I have read that it isn't the best thing to do?
My Glocks and all my guns seldom see factory ammo.
(This last week or two I loaded about 900 rounds for a new G33 .357 SIG)

The Glock problem comes from shooting lead bullets and not making sure there's not a lead buildup in the barrel.
Hard lead bullets, loaded properly, aren't a problem in any gun if the shooter makes sure the load isn't leading the barrel.

Last edited by M2 Carbine; 07-20-2012 at 22:00..
Old 07-20-2012, 22:14   #14
Sheppick.dan

I am in awwww of your collection that you have. Did you learn on your own or did someone teach you? I think I might of just found my new hobby! Problem is I need to find a reasonable range where I'm at.. They are close to 1000 a year to be members
Old 07-20-2012, 22:25   #15
WarEagle32

You can catch GA arms with good deals sometimes!
WarEagle32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:31   #16
JaPes
Rimfire 1010101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheppick.dan View Post
Where does everyone get their 9mm ammo?
General Firearms Forum

+

General Firearms Forum

& a scale, caliper, primer, powder, and two reloading manuals.

Due to limited & expensive range time, there's only so many rounds I can shoot. I go shooting every 2 or 3 weeks.

Federal Champion 115gr = $13.00 for 50 rd. box.

Handloads = $6.50 for 50 rds.

I also purchased .357 Mag dies. The savings there are bigger.
JaPes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:57   #17
ak103k

Just keep in mind, reloading doesnt really save you any money, you just shoot more for your money.

That said, since all the cheap surplus dried up a number of years back, and it once again became worth reloading, 99% of what I shoot are reloads. It still isnt cheap, but its better than buying by the case, and forget buying by the box.

Quote:
Problem is I need to find a reasonable range where I'm at.. They are close to 1000 a year to be members
How far away is "reasonable"? More than likely, its worth the drive. Most of those country club type ranges usually have a high price in aggravation as well as greenbacks.

Zeitgeist - Addendum
ak103k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:13   #18
M2 Carbine

Quote:
I am in awwww of your collection that you have. Did you learn on your own or did someone teach you?
I learned on my own.

It's really not all that much to reloading. You just have to use the proper components in the right amount/weight.

Clean the fired cases.

The 1st die sizes the case to it's original diameter, pushes out the old primer and you seat a new primer.

2nd die bells the mouth of the case slightly so the new bullet can be pushed into the case.

Load the right amount of the correct powder.

3rd die seats bullet to the proper depth and slightly crimps the case into the bullet.

Now days there are a lot of loading manuals and even DVD's to get you started.

Start with powder loads on the light weight side. You don't need max loads to shoot paper.

Use the correct powder in the right amount.

Make sure you don't miss putting powder in a case. (the bullet will stick in the gun barrel)

Pay attention to what you are doing and follow the loads in a good manual and you will have no problems.

Enjoy shooting good inexpensive ammo that you made yourself.

Quote:
Problem is I need to find a reasonable range where I'm at.. They are close to 1000 a year to be members
That's terrible.
I'm a member of a VERY NICE 300 yard outdoor range that is $70/year but I haven't been there for about three years.
It's a 40 minute drive . Since I have a backyard range........
General Firearms Forum

...and a 115 yard range, I'm too lazy to drive 40 minutes.
General Firearms Forum

Last edited by M2 Carbine; 07-21-2012 at 07:26..
Old 07-21-2012, 07:30   #19
byf43
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 Carbine View Post
I learned on my own.

It's really not all that much to reloading. You just have to use the proper components in the right amount/weight.

Clean the fired cases.

The 1st die sizes the case to it's original diameter, pushes out the old primer and you seat a new primer.

2nd die bells the mouth of the case slightly so the new bullet can be pushed into the case.

Load the right amount of the correct powder.

3rd die seats bullet to the proper depth and slightly crimps the case into the bullet.

Now days there are a lot of loading manuals and even DVD's to get you started.

Start with powder loads on the light weight side. You don't need max loads to shoot paper.

Use the correct powder in the right amount.

Make sure you don't miss putting powder in a case. (the bullet will stick in the gun barrel)

Pay attention to what you are doing and follow the loads in a good manual and you will have no problems.

Enjoy shooting good inexpensive ammo that you made yourself.

That's terrible.
I'm a member of a VERY NICE 300 yard outdoor range that is $70/year but I haven't been there for about three years.
It's a 40 minute drive . Since I have a backyard range........
General Firearms Forum

...and a 115 yard range, I'm too lazy to drive 40 minutes.
General Firearms Forum

GREAT post, Buck!

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:21   #20
CAcop

Walmart is my first choice but they are frequently out. Big 5 has mega value packs for sale every so often.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is online now   Reply With Quote