Well it was raining like a mofo all day here so I finally got around to pulling everything out of the safe and the storage for cleaning up. Just a month or so late.
I pull everything that I don't shoot very often a couple of times a year and reapply oil, wipe with silicone, inspect for rust, change batteries, etc. Little paranoid about it because I have to keep the safe in the basement which isn't the best.
I decided that since I had everything out, and I was inspired by some other posters here, I was going to go through everything and record all serial numbers of my stuff. There were a lot of things I had skipped before like tac-lights, scopes, etc. I also counted and numbered all the mags I've been meaning to get to and yep, I took a complete inventory of all on hand ammo, which was annoying but illuminating.
So I learned a few things.
1. I have 3 less G17 mags than I thought. Need to go looking for those. I have 2 less G19 magazines than I thought. Kids.
2. I thought I had about 4 boxes of .45 ACP 230 gr Golden Saber around.
Maybe the Noid ate them.
3. It doesn't make any sense to me that I have 250 x 12 gauge buck and one 5 pack of slugs.
WTF was I thinking? I dunno. I'm like a little old lady at a shoe sale sometimes. If I see something at a good price I grab some.
4. On the good news front, I'm good on pistol ammo.
5. On the bad news front, I'm low on rifle ammo. Fixed that tonight.
6. None of my firearms have rust.
7. I have a metric butt-load of holsters I don't use for anything. Like most of us do.
Taking the time to go through everything and inventory it all, including hostlers and misc. parts and accessories, was kind of a pain in the butt but I think it's a good idea to do. Not only for insurance purposes but I can look at my spreadsheet now and know how many mags I have for what and what my ammo stock is. That way I can stop buying buckshot for starters.
It was worth doing.
That's it then. Nothing too exciting, just wrapping up here at the Casa Del HKLovingIT. Unfortunately I did not find a twenty dollar bill at the bottom of the safe and when I opened the new bottle of Hoppe's gun oil a genie did not come out. Dang it.
Take it easy...and take advantage of your next rain day to do some inventory if you are behind...