SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-21-2012, 19:56   #1
threefeathers
Scouts Out

A BG at your window at night.

a friend lives in a rural situation with the nearest neighbor hundreds of yards away.
He was home and at 0 dark thirty his dog began barking. My friend grabbed his flashlight and handgun and began searching. He saw movement near a window of his home. Wallking stealthfully he slowly opened his rear door and began to creep around the house. He did not light his flashlight because he could hear someone at the rear window that was around the corner.
He rounded the corner and saw a large fellow trying to life the window open. My friend quickly lit his 100+ Lumen flashlight that was in his left hand and pointed his handgun in his right hand, the crook reached in his belt line but quickly showed both hands empty when he realized my friend was armed.
It was then that my friend realized that he had left himself in a position he couldn't call for help, with both hands filled he couldn't use his cell phone and the nearest neighbor couldn't hear him.
The BG began to back up and suddenly broke into a run. My friend did not see a weapon on the BG so he didn't shoot and he was barefoot so he couldn't chase.
My friend backed up into the house, locked up and called the sheriff. My firend went to the neighbors houses the next morning and one or two told him they had also found someone on their land. One of the neighbors identified the fellow as someone he knew and the BG turned out to be quite a dangerous guy.
threefeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 20:02   #2
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Another time a gun stopped a crime without shooting someone.

I'm not criticizing, I understand the circumstances and applaud the action.

This will not make the good use of a gun statistics list either.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 20:10   #3
RYNOCG201

Scary, I'm glad your friend is ok. Definitely a good argument for a weapon mounted light. I also live in a rural area where neighbors would likely not be within shouting distance and many nights I am here alone. Tough call on what to do, in that situation it seems your friend handled fairly well with a cool head though.

RYNOC
RYNOCG201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 20:19   #4
Bruce M

I would say a good argument for calling 911 first and maybe waiting for the bad guy from behind good cover.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 21:00   #5
racer88
NRA & SAF mbr

Yeah... going outside to confront?? Yikes. That could have gotten much uglier. I say it's a good and fortunate thing that the BG ran.
racer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 21:24   #6
RedsoxFan4Lyfe

Going outside is a bad idea. The BG could well have a friend or two with him. I would call 911 and get the Calvary rolling and stay in a safe spot.
RedsoxFan4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 00:57   #7
sierrafast
Coleccionista

Good to know your friend is fine. Like it was previously mentioned, it was a bad idea to go outside. Call 911 and create "the funnel of death"
sierrafast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:38   #8
Lior
GUNS=FREEDOM

Glad to hear that nobody was hurt in this incident, and I hope the BG does not start using heavy body armor and artillery support while doing BG stuff.
Rust and bureaucrats. Freedom and vigilance. Front sight and trigger. Kindness and firepower. Situational awareness and tolerance. Safety and concealment. Taxes and allegiance. Love of man and surgical marksmanship. Once a soldier, always a soldier.
Lior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:51   #9
Chesafreak

I'm glad your friend is ok. I think it was dumb to go outside. The BG could have had others with him who could have been behind him. Besides, if he had waited for the BG to come through the window he could have saved us all on prisoner room and board.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Chesafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:07   #10
rhikdavis
U.S. Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to rhikdavis Send a message via Skype™ to rhikdavis
Send the dog out first, that's how you find out if you are facing an armed bg.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:13   #11
220-9er

Your friend is lucky a lot of things didn't happen. Going outside in the dark to check out a prowler, weapon in hand, by yourself, is setting yourself up for really bad luck.
Besides the possibility of several burglars, suppose the neighbors had called this in earlier and police had gone to the back of his house following the trail. Your friend shows up with gun in hand as police are approaching with guns in hand.
Just one of many things that could have happened.
220-9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:45   #12
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

I can't say I really blame your friend, but it wasn't the smartest thing to do to go outside.

Glad the guy was caught and he wasn't hurt.
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:13   #13
The Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220-9er View Post
Your friend is lucky a lot of things didn't happen. Going outside in the dark to check out a prowler, weapon in hand, by yourself, is setting yourself up for really bad luck.
Besides the possibility of several burglars, suppose the neighbors had called this in earlier and police had gone to the back of his house following the trail. Your friend shows up with gun in hand as police are approaching with guns in hand.
Just one of many things that could have happened.
I realize it is easy to "armchair quarterback" this. However, I agree with calling 911 and waiting inside with weapon in hand. I am glad your friend was not hurt.
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:39   #14
pipedreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hawk View Post
I realize it is easy to "armchair quarterback" this. However, I agree with calling 911 and waiting inside with weapon in hand. I am glad your friend was not hurt.

Yes it is easy to "armchair quarterback" this. I agree call 911 but remember in a rural setting it could be considerable time before you get LE on site. In rural area's 20 to 30 minutes are not uncommon especially at night. I would of stayed inside and possibly lite the guy up with the flashlight from inside letting him know he has been made. If one had the time and a good enough mindset snap a picture through the glass. The flash would certainty caused confusion and temporary blindness. A good dog added to the mix should really put the guy on the run. Of course this is all armchair quarterbacking and every situation is different.

Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.

Last edited by pipedreams; 07-23-2012 at 12:39..
pipedreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:05   #15
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Castle Law works best from within your Castle. Carry Issues

TBO Carry Issues
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:22   #16
FireForged
Millenium #3936

leaving the safety of your home to go outside and confront a bad-guy seems like a very bad idea.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:51   #17
beatcop

Cool story.

As previously stated, call 911...don't go outside. Although not as cool as going outside barefoot w/pistol, it prob gives you a slight edge:

-crook breaches the home...certain laws may be on your side
-you know your home/layout
-you can lock inner doors or make a stand in a good spot
-you can leave the 911 line open
-you have more time to put on gear/clothes
beatcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:57   #18
dnuggett
PRO 2A

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post

TBO Carry Issues
Roger that.
dnuggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 18:11   #19
Snapper2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post

TBO Carry Issues
Maybe so, but do you lock yourself in and call 911 everytime the dogs bark? I know in this case he saw movement while he was inside and then went outside but what if he hadnt seen the BG outside his window .....what if it had been a stray cow or something? You're still gonna check it out right? Does country living have different rules than living in a neighborhood? Most of the time you've got to find out whats causing the problem before acting on it.
Colossians 1:13-18
Snapper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 18:18   #20
collim1
Shower Time!

You lose your home team advantage when you go outside.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote