Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:49   #1
jeanderson
Platinum Membership
Toga!... Toga!

Colorado background checks up 41%

Gun sales way up in Colorado...
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/24...t-since-movie/

This is really good. It tells me that people are starting to realize that utlimately, you're responsible for your own safety and that of your family. It's what the 2nd amendment is all about - the right to defend ourselves.

Of course, the immediate reaction of the liberal or statist is to pass more laws, control guns, hire more cops, make it harder to buy guns or ammo, restrict our individual rights. To them, the state must protect everyone.
The Gods of the Copybook Headings with terror and slaughter return!
- Rudyard Kipling, 1919

jeanderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:44   #2
cowboy1964

Nothing wrong with more cops, as long as they can pay for it.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 14:37   #3
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post

I have to disagree.

People become too dependent on the security blanket of cops. It breeds the "don't do anything but call the cops" mentality.

It is a mistake to think that "more cops make you safer". Doesn't really work out that way. People make themselves safe. A person who is alert because they know there isn't a cop around to protect them is in less danger than one who assumes there is a cop around to protect them.

More cops do not equal a more responsible society (which is what we need) in fact more cops produce the opposite effect just like more Government in general.

Last edited by countrygun; 07-24-2012 at 14:38..
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 15:01   #4
Kentak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
If Aurora had twice as many active duty cops, would the massacre have been prevented? Three times as many? Put the cops wherever you want, the psychos will just choose a venue that's not covered--or take out the cop first.
Old 07-24-2012, 15:55   #5
professorpinki
Bumbling idjit

That and you can't just make new cops by handing out badges and guns and making people take a polygraph.
professorpinki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 16:04   #6
Woofie
CLM Number 293
Disirregardless

Send a message via AIM to Woofie
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
I have to disagree.

People become too dependent on the security blanket of cops. It breeds the "don't do anything but call the cops" mentality.

It is a mistake to think that "more cops make you safer". Doesn't really work out that way. People make themselves safe. A person who is alert because they know there isn't a cop around to protect them is in less danger than one who assumes there is a cop around to protect them.

More cops do not equal a more responsible society (which is what we need) in fact more cops produce the opposite effect just like more Government in general.
And I have to disagree with you. An abundance of cops doesn't make people want to call the cops. It's the movement of our legal system towards criminals' rights and lessening our ability to defend ourselves that causes people to want to call the cops and not deal with thugs.

"I don't need to figure probabilities, and I don't need facts." JBnTx

"Maybe they should drink like Woofie and come up with pure brilliance." OXCOPS

"Woofie is the only smart one around here." Photoman642
Woofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 16:16   #7
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofie View Post
And I have to disagree with you. An abundance of cops doesn't make people want to call the cops. It's the movement of our legal system towards criminals' rights and lessening our ability to defend ourselves that causes people to want to call the cops and not deal with thugs.
This.
Ruble Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 16:21   #8
Gundude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofie View Post
Our legal system has moved towards increasing our ability to defend ourselves in the past couple of decades. Shall-issue CCW, stand your ground laws, supreme court rulings. How can that be interpreted as lessening our ability to defend ourselves?
Gundude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 17:20   #9
Walt_NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanderson View Post
Gun sales way up in Colorado...
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/24...t-since-movie/

This is really good. It tells me that people are starting to realize that utlimately, you're responsible for your own safety and that of your family. It's what the 2nd amendment is all about - the right to defend ourselves.
I sincerely doubt that more than a handful of those new gun purchases were made by new gun owners looking to protect themselves. I think it's much more likely that the surge in gun sales is due to gun nuts like you and I who know that talks of bans are common after high-profile shootings (Columbine, Virginia Tech, Gabrielle Giffords, etc).
Old 07-24-2012, 17:52   #10
JBnTX
God Bless Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorpinki View Post

That and you can't just make new cops by handing out badges and guns and making people take a polygraph.

Fort Worth, Texas does just that.
And they're an Equal Opportunity Employer too.

JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 21:25   #11
Happy Hunting

RGR's earnings come out next week. Put your money where your mouth is. I held SWHC for a while and did well after their last earnings report.
Happy Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 21:43   #12
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9

It validates my theory about guns sales and NRA memberships increasing rather than taking a hit over this.
Old 07-24-2012, 22:05   #13
GAFinch

Look at the knife-based school massacres in China and Japan. Very similar body counts to our gun-based massacres. Japan even started banning large kitchen knives and liberals in Britain keep threatening to. Guy could've used a bomb, a mixture of household chemicals, a pile of chili peppers lit on fire, whatever. A determined, prepared individual can do a lot of damage in any enclosed environment where self-defense weapons are formally or informally prohibited.
GAFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:58   #14
JFrame

Quote:

A decade or more ago, the D.C. police department made a huge push to ramp up their manpower. Due to lack of vetting, they found that at least 50 percent of the recruits they took in were gang-bangers and other known criminals.

I imagine they left out the polygraph test -- or just recruited a bunch of sociopathic liars.

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:40   #15
professorpinki
Bumbling idjit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFrame View Post
I imagine they left out the polygraph test -- or just recruited a bunch of sociopathic liars.
Or the polygraph is just a dubious test to begin with...
professorpinki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:29   #16
JFrame

Quote:
Or the polygraph is just a dubious test to begin with...

Well, there's that -- but I suspect in the case of the D.C. police department, vetting never got to that level in the first place.

--
Old 07-25-2012, 22:59   #17
Happy Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFrame View Post
A decade or more ago, the D.C. police department made a huge push to ramp up their manpower. Due to lack of vetting, they found that at least 50 percent of the recruits they took in were gang-bangers and other known criminals.

Do you have a link for this? Vetting is vicious cycle...
Happy Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:54   #18
JFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Hunting View Post
Do you have a link for this? Vetting is vicious cycle...

No -- sorry...It made quite the news splash here at the time it happened. IIRC, as the scandal mounted, the metropolitan police found themselves having to fire more and more recruits for having gang connections.

It was evidently a result of an ill-advised push by the DC metro PD to swell their ranks quickly. Word quickly got out to the local populace not to talk to the police, because you were just as likely to be talking to a gang member.

I'll see if I can stumble on some news pieces -- but perhaps someone else can turn something up.

--